4 Sept08 - Michael Jackson News & Mentionings

Raylo

Proud Member
Hi there folks! Sit back, relax and enjoy today's news thread:) And please post anything interesting that you might find during the day - we all appreciate it:yes:

Michael Jackson Mentionings

The Farr Side: Pop icons celebrate the big 5-0 birthday
http://www.sturgisjournal.com/opini...Side-Pop-icons-celebrate-the-big-5-0-birthday

By David T Farr

Sturgis, Mich. -
The days of “Thriller” are long gone for the King of Pop, but is the thrill totally gone now he’s 50?
I never gave it much thought as a kid what Michael Jackson, Prince and Madonna would be like at age 50. All I cared about was the music and how Michael Jackson danced like that.
As a kid infatuated with his MTV, I did know they each had something different and would be around for a long time. They were artists who were not afraid to think outside the box, which is what it takes to sustain longevity in the music business.
I classify them as pop music royalty simply because that’s what they are. Michael is indeed the King of Pop, while Madonna remains the Queen and Prince, well, he became his namesake.
It’s kind of cool actually to know they all turned the big 5-0 this year.
Turning 50 doesn’t mean you have to pack it up, either. If anyone thinks so, take a big fat look at Madonna. The woman is a powerhouse and every bit as popular today as she was back in the wedding dress, rolling around the floor of the MTV VMA’s stage singing “Like A Virgin.”.
She’s a prime reason why I don’t like to classify people by their age. It’s truly just a number and leave it to the Material Girl to show how 50 will become the new 30.
Prince has always been Prince to me, whether he was known as the Artist Formally Known As Prince or that silly symbol. His music, on the other hand, never took a backseat to music trends or fads. In some ways, he led them.
Prince was and still is the consummate musician, with something to say. “Purple Rain” was his “Thriller” for the music world.
Michael was the different one and somewhat ageless in my mind. It could be because he was always talked about as little Michael Jackson with the big voice from his Jackson 5 days, but it was more than that. I put him above. Like Elvis and the Beatles were in their time, Michael Jackson was my idol.
From the moment the pavement lit up beneath his feet in “Billie Jean” to the first unveiling of the moonwalk on the Motown 25th Anniversary special, I was a fan. He could do no wrong in my book, musically speaking.
They’ve all endured heavy tabloid press through the years with Michael being hit the hardest, some for his own doings, but they’ve all managed to bounce back.
Of the three icons, though, Michael has more to prove at 50 then Madonna and Prince. They’ve managed to keep up a steady regiment of touring and recording, while he sort of went into seclusion after his high profile acquittal of molestation charges.
Michael’s currently in the studio recording his first new album since 2001’s “Invincible.” I’m eager to hear the new music and hope he chooses to take it on the road. It’s been awhile, but I believe a huge tour in support of the new music would start the thrill all over again.

David T. Farr is a Journal correspondent. E-mail him at farrboy@hotmail.com.

Local band looks to lift voices of Asian artists
http://www.sgvtribune.com/news/ci_10376367

FM takes cues from its everyday lives for lyrics. FM's song, "Lowrider," could be about any street in Los Angeles, while "Dance Like Michael Jackson" pays homage to - and at the same time, pokes fun at - pop culture. The group rarely incorporates its own cultures into the music. Nishimura is Japanese and Chinese; Roh and Choung are Korean.

Spears to open the 2008 MTV Awards
http://www.rte.ie/arts/2008/0904/spearsb.html

Toffler also revealed that discussions had taken place with Michael Jackson about the possibility of him appearing on the awards show.

Russel Brand hosts the MTV Video Music Awards, live on Sunday night
http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/ent_index/255926
British comedian Russell Brand will host Sunday night's Video Music Awards on MTV, a show that routinely features at least a few hot performances and pop-culture moments that are remembered long after everybody forgets who won what:
Britney liplocking with Madonna (or bombing big time); Michael Jackson kissing his new wife, Lisa Marie Presley, in 1994; and Pee Wee Herman, fresh off an arrest for lewd conduct, opening the show in '91 with the line, "Heard any good jokes lately?

Don’t Harsh My Mellow
http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2008/sep/03/dont-harsh-my-mellow/

An African-American guy told me that Jermaine Jackson named his son Jermajesty. We all laughed for about five minutes. I said, “Well, two things. First, that would actually be a cool name if the kid were a rapper. And second, we’re talking about celebrities. That eliminates Jermaine from this conversation.” I didn’t remember until the next day that Michael Jackson named his son Prince.

Perths designer to the stars honoured on Fashion Walk of Fame

http://www.watoday.com.au/lifestyle...ed-on-fashion-walk-of-fame-20080904-49me.html

She has dressed the likes of Bob Dylan, Kate Moss, INXS, Gwen Stefani, Pink, Kate Hudson, Michael Jackson, Pamela Anderson and Sadie Frost.

Kim Kardashian Contemplates Music Career, Eyes Justin Timberlake
http://www.singersroom.com/news/entertainment-story-2248.asp

Although there is no concrete plan or recording time set aside, Kardashian has her eye set on a collaboration with Michael Jackson and Justin Timberlake. "I would love to work with, like, Timbaland as a producer and maybe Justin Timberlake."

Getting Friendly, Bronzing Peanuts, Ditching Grammy
http://www.nationaljournal.com/conventions/co_20080904_2835.php

More than 5,000 people attended the Minnesota Agri-Growth Council's $1 million AgNite party at the Theater de la Jeune Lune in Minneapolis on Tuesday night. It was likely the biggest and most expensive party of the convention and a proper tribute to the Midwest's huge agriculture industry. No tiny hors d'oeuvres for the aggies. Instead, they proffered pork chops on a stick (served with a single Michael-Jackson-like glove to keep your fingers clean), cream pies, and vodka made from Minnesota corn.

No longer down on his luck, Dice rolls again
http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourn....html?id=14f9204e-82e5-446c-8e9e-2e38e1226460

"I've got one movie to reference -- The Nutty Professor -- because Jerry Lewis did both sides of my humour. He did the nerd and he did Buddy Love," Dice says. "Even when I met Jerry, he said, 'Dice is like an amped-up version of Buddy Love.' But growing up, I studied the 'real kings' -- the king of rock, Elvis Presley; the king of pop, Michael Jackson; the king of the ring, Muhammad Ali. It was just fitting that I became the comedy king of the universe because nobody's ever going to break my record."

There’s nothing ordinary about Grown Folks
http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20080904/articles/809040301&tc=yahoo

Spirituality plays a big role in Slaughter's writing, but he also is influenced by secular artists such as Michael Jackson, James Brown and Busta Rhymes.

Thank you
That was a GREAT blog by David Far
Very respectful and positive - LOVE IT

Im going to email him and say thanks :)

I’m eager to hear the new music and hope he chooses to take it on the road. It’s been awhile, but I believe a huge tour in support of the new music would start the thrill all over again.

On point. I know that everyone can agree to that.

Regarding Kim K - BARF! This woman can sing? LOL. Damn, she loves this media attention.

Regarding Kim K - BARF! This woman can sing? LOL. Damn, she loves this media attention.
25qytrb.jpg

wouldn't be surprised if Timbaland takes her on. in fact, i'd put 10 quid on it if she was for real.

Last edited:
wouldn't be surprised if Timbaland takes her on. in fact, i'd put 10 quid on it if she was for real.

LOL. What a joke. There are so many underrated talent out there that can't even catch a break. Then you have these media whores like Paris and Kim getting breaks just because they did sex tapes and reality shows. :smilerolleyes: Just pathetic. LOL. And you know that Paris cd was on the pits terrible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know! She's worse than Paris Hilton! Lol!

They are just trash. I get angry when I see Kim K on tv. Why can see actual talent on my tv screen and not a spoiled, rich, media whore? LOL. And do not get me started on Paris Hilton. She looks almost naked on that CD cover. I mean, my goodness.

The Farr Side: Pop icons celebrate the big 5-0 birthday
http://www.sturgisjournal.com/opini...Side-Pop-icons-celebrate-the-big-5-0-birthday

By David T Farr

Sturgis, Mich. -
The days of “Thriller” are long gone for the King of Pop, but is the thrill totally gone now he’s 50?
I never gave it much thought as a kid what Michael Jackson, Prince and Madonna would be like at age 50. All I cared about was the music and how Michael Jackson danced like that.
As a kid infatuated with his MTV, I did know they each had something different and would be around for a long time. They were artists who were not afraid to think outside the box, which is what it takes to sustain longevity in the music business.
I classify them as pop music royalty simply because that’s what they are. Michael is indeed the King of Pop, while Madonna remains the Queen and Prince, well, he became his namesake.
It’s kind of cool actually to know they all turned the big 5-0 this year.
Turning 50 doesn’t mean you have to pack it up, either. If anyone thinks so, take a big fat look at Madonna. The woman is a powerhouse and every bit as popular today as she was back in the wedding dress, rolling around the floor of the MTV VMA’s stage singing “Like A Virgin.”.
She’s a prime reason why I don’t like to classify people by their age. It’s truly just a number and leave it to the Material Girl to show how 50 will become the new 30.
Prince has always been Prince to me, whether he was known as the Artist Formally Known As Prince or that silly symbol. His music, on the other hand, never took a backseat to music trends or fads. In some ways, he led them.
Prince was and still is the consummate musician, with something to say. “Purple Rain” was his “Thriller” for the music world.
Michael was the different one and somewhat ageless in my mind. It could be because he was always talked about as little Michael Jackson with the big voice from his Jackson 5 days, but it was more than that. I put him above. Like Elvis and the Beatles were in their time, Michael Jackson was my idol.
From the moment the pavement lit up beneath his feet in “Billie Jean” to the first unveiling of the moonwalk on the Motown 25th Anniversary special, I was a fan. He could do no wrong in my book, musically speaking.
They’ve all endured heavy tabloid press through the years with Michael being hit the hardest, some for his own doings, but they’ve all managed to bounce back.
Of the three icons, though, Michael has more to prove at 50 then Madonna and Prince. They’ve managed to keep up a steady regiment of touring and recording, while he sort of went into seclusion after his high profile acquittal of molestation charges.
Michael’s currently in the studio recording his first new album since 2001’s “Invincible.” I’m eager to hear the new music and hope he chooses to take it on the road. It’s been awhile, but I believe a huge tour in support of the new music would start the thrill all over again.

David T. Farr is a Journal correspondent. E-mail him at farrboy@hotmail.com.

WOW. Great post!!

I'm so looking forward to hearing his new album. A tour will be the BIG bonus!

I was surfing through youtube and came over this. Many of you have probably seen it allready, but this is the first time I have seen this video. I have only seen the actual commercial;

Michael Jackson - Making of The Suzuki Commercial

*faints dead*

Last edited:
oh, and after this fainting of mine I came over the making of Pepsi Dreams. I have never seen this either. Where have I been? lol. This one is puuurrrfect.

oh, and after this fainting of mine I came over the making of Pepsi Dreams. I have never seen this either. Where have I been? lol. This one is puuurrrfect.

Thanks mariemarie, I never saw that before either and I gotta tell you, "it took my breath away."

This man STILL has the ability to knock my socks off. As OLD as I am, he still has the ability to make me feel like a teenager. LOL!

2002 Video Music Awards
MTV
We traveled a few blocks downtown again to New York's Radio City Music Hall for the 2002 MTV Video Music Awards, with Jimmy Fallon as the Master of Ceremonies. Because we like to start the show off with a bang, and we needed a way to shoehorn Michael Jackson into the show (really, check the rest of the archive, he's been here almost every single year!), we decided to celebrate Mr. Jackson's birthday.

We let uber-fan Britney Spears do the honor of presenting Michael with a birthday cake. Amidst all of the laudatory comments in her speech, Brit, not incorrectly, referred to Michael as "the artist of the millennium." And that's where the confusion came in.

Michael apparently got confused, not understanding the concept of his birthday or the big birthday cake on stage, and instead thought that MTV was honoring him with an Artist of the Millennium award. Uncomfortable hilarity ensued as Jackson accepted the non-existent honor with a stirring speech about his childhood in Indiana. For this priceless moment in VMA history, we've been trying to give him the Awkwardness of the Millennium Award ever since, but he never shows up to get that one.

But that wasn't the only uncomfortable moment of the night. Nope, we've got more of those. There was the unlikely duo of former Van Halen singers David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar presenting the Best Rock Video award. When Dave called their planned joint live outing "the Celebrity Deathmatch tour," an annoyed Hagar stated flatly, "I don't need the money, Dave!"

Yet, we still have to recall the case of Eminem who had no less than three "moments." The man born Marshall Mathers was the big winner, taking four Moonmen -- including Best Rap Video and Video of the Year for "Without Me." When he won Best Male Video, his award was presented by Christina Aguilera, whom he had dissed in the lyrics of his hit, "The Real Slim Shady." Awkward!

Then Triumph the Insult Comic Dog used the 2002 MTV Video Music Awards to pick a fight with Eminem in the audience. The foul-mouthed pooch's bit was so offensive to Slim Shady that MTV later exorcized it from VMA rebroadcasts. We likewise removed the part where Eminem challenged Moby to a fight (the diminutive Moby had previously called the rapper's music misogynistic and homophobic). The audience sided with Moby on this one and rallied with a chorus of boos.

Truly, the 2002 VMAs featured a myriad of instant-classic moments:

• Justin Timberlake's first solo performance ("Like I Love You")

• Pink's "I'm too drunk for this" acceptance of the Best Female Video award ("Get the Party Started")

• Bruce Springsteen's show opening off-site performance outside and in the rain ("The Rising")

• Christina Aguilera's very revealing outfit, which Jimmy Fallon described as "her boobs wrapped in a napkin."

• And finally, the return of Guns N' Roses to the stage, highlighted by the sight of Slash's replacement, Buckethead (so nicknamed for the large KFC bucket he wears on his head), on guitar. Weirdly and despite a braided Axl Rose who was severely winded by the end of "Welcome to the Jungle," they still rocked.

Admit it, the VMAs are our own special brand of crazy, and you love it!

We traveled a few blocks downtown again to New York's Radio City Music Hall for the 2002 MTV Video Music Awards, with Jimmy Fallon as the Master of Ceremonies. Because we like to start the show off with a bang, and we needed a way to shoehorn Michael Jackson into the show (really, check the rest of the archive, he's been here almost every single year!), we decided to celebrate Mr. Jackson's birthday.

We let uber-fan Britney Spears do the honor of presenting Michael with a birthday cake. Amidst all of the laudatory comments in her speech, Brit, not incorrectly, referred to Michael as "the artist of the millennium." And that's where the confusion came in.

Michael apparently got confused, not understanding the concept of his birthday or the big birthday cake on stage, and instead thought that MTV was honoring him with an Artist of the Millennium award. Uncomfortable hilarity ensued as Jackson accepted the non-existent honor with a stirring speech about his childhood in Indiana. For this priceless moment in VMA history, we've been trying to give him the Awkwardness of the Millennium Award ever since, but he never shows up to get that one.

In case there was any doubt about whether Mike should go to the VMAs or not...

and now they're trying to imply that michael was dumb that he thought they were giving him the award ? they did it on purpose. he didnt get confused. it was obvious to everyone that they were giving him an award and were not just celebrating his bday. please :smilerolleyes:

they pulled that stunt as soon as they took down from their website that mj was getting an award. sad for them that screanshots were taken showing how they had lied

I was surfing through youtube and came over this. Many of you have probably seen it allready, but this is the first time I have seen this video. I have only seen the actual commercial;

Michael Jackson - Making of The Suzuki Commercial

*faints dead*

Awwwwwwwwwwww *faints* too :)

hey..if anybody has news on the bmi awards, let me know..thanks.
on Steve Harvey they mentioned it during Entertainment news..

when Shirley said ...all the brothers are coming.. Tommy asked "what about Michael"..

then Shirley said...he said he will come if Janet comes..and apparently.. Janet is going...

You can thank me for this video, cause it comes originally from my videotape.. that's funny, how it ended up on youtube..
cool video, eh?

on Steve Harvey they mentioned it during Entertainment news..

when Shirley said ...all the brothers are coming.. Tommy asked "what about Michael"..

then Shirley said...he said he will come if Janet comes..and apparently.. Janet is going...

Oh snap... I hope she's right, lol. Hmm, also sounds like Janet may be the one to salute her brothers with the award too.

Time's run out on Video Music Awards
There's something wrong when MTV doesn't even air the videos it's honoring

Thursday, Sep 04, 2008 - 12:06 AM Updated: 11:52 AM

By MELISSA RUGGIERI
MUSIC CRITIC

Is it possible that MTV doesn't see the irony in its Video Music Awards?

This is a channel that has lasted 27 years, launched the careers of hundreds of artists, instigated the reality TV craze with "The Real World," bestowed Carson Daly with a career and foisted the horrors known as "The Hills" and Danity Kane upon us.

Obviously, MTV has transformed over the years and managed to stay relevant to new generations while sending the old ones into mourning with every mention of Tila Tequila.

But there is something wrong with a channel not just hosting, but drowning in self-congratulatory hype over a show that celebrates the best videos of the year . . . when the channel doesn't even air the very videos it's honoring.

Having covered a few VMAs over the years, I can confirm your suspicions that the show is so far removed from its original purpose -- to recognize the creative visual feats of music videos -- that its existence lately is merely an expensive excuse to trot out B-list celebrities who will yammer to anyone on the red carpet about how influential MTV has been to their careers.

Even if --we'll say it again -- MTV never even played their video.

Look, MTV hasn't been interested in music for years -- the separation began in the early'90s, and the divorce came around the time of Kurt Cobain's death -- which is why it's created a list of offshoot channels so long it literally takes up a screen on my TV.

MTV2 was originally designed to take those pesky videos off MTV's hands so it could concentrate on "My Super Sweet 16," but now MTV2 also mostly focuses on reality shows such as "From G's to Gents" and Randy Jackson's dance competition.

Other channels -- MTVU and MTV Jams -- are too niche-oriented to make much of an impact. So that leaves MTV Hits to actually show videos, which it does. So why not move the VMAs there? It's the only place a viewer might have caught 90 seconds of a Chris Brown or Ting Tings clip?

I know, I know -- because it would diminish the cache of the MTV brand to not hold this annual platform on the parent channel, where there is a much bigger audience on which to cross-promote bad Mike Myers movies.

But the VMAs mean so little now. Who would care if the show were scuttled to a sister channel that at least has some connection to the theme?

Sunday's show is the 25th annual presentation of the moon man statuettes, and anyone older than 35 probably remembers the initial significance of these awards.

Without MTV and the influence of a visual medium for music, who knows if Madonna would be the tireless icon that she is today, or if Michael Jackson's "Thriller" would have become the second best-selling album in U.S. history?

It's a reasonable guess that Duran Duran would never have penetrated America without the aid of its glamorous mini-movies, and M?tley Cr?e wouldn't have graduated from playing dives in Los Angeles without MTV to colorize its sleazy strip-club rock.

But, as with so many things, that was a different era. Videos were the only connection fans had to their idols and the only outlet artists had to present their look and attitude.

Now, with MySpace, iTunes, YouTube and official Web site blogs facilitating faux-intimate fan-artist relationships, who needs to watch the new Katy Perry video to catch a glimpse of her personality?

Even as recently as a few years ago, the VMAs still served as reasonable entertainment: Britney Spears entangled with a snake; the Madonna-Britney-Christina kiss; Triumph the Insult Comic Dog tussling with Eminem; Michael Jackson thinking he won an Artist of the Millennium award, when it was merely a birthday tchotchke.

But now, with our new media world of constant exposure and scrutiny, the VMAs appeal to our basest instincts: Let's watch Britney, a clearly troubled young woman, derail in front of us and then make a sport out of mocking her. Or, if we're really lucky, Kid Rock and Tommy Lee, those paragons of moral decency, might start a fistfight.

That's what it came to last year, which should have been two clear signs to MTV that it's time to bury an old friend. Now that the 25-year milestone has been reached, let's hope that after Sunday, MTV will pull out the coffin.

Except....
That article up there and yours, about MJ's birthday in 2002 just makes me grind my back teeth.

And this is just funny ....
Is it possible that MTV doesn't see the irony in its Video Music Awards?

I mean who they tryin' to fool here? And for how long? Lol.

'Is it possible that MTV doesn't see the irony in its Video Music Awards?'

Yeah, could it REALLY be possible, actually it probably is cuz they are SO stupid. Ha

Great article by David Farr, Iv sent an email to thank him

Back