30th anniversary concert from 2001, did michael re-record some old songs ?

Screamin

Proud Member
Did he because as im watching and hearing the classics he is either singing live or he re-recorded most old songs for the concert such as TWYMMF and billie jean

Anyone have the concert in excellent quality for download ?

He sung the intro to TWYMMF, which was then edited out for whatever reason. And then I believe it was just playback with his voice turned down a couple of keys.

Billie Jean was playback, so was Beat It & Black or White and he sung over You Rock My World. That's really all I remember. The Jacksons songs were live or re-recorded. Not really sure.

twymmf intro was pre-recorded, i think he used the grammy 88/royal brunei show audio and just added a few more vocals on it, and some parts are sung live duin the performance

the jacksons songs are live

It looked like most of the Jacksons stuff was live, especially MJ's parts, but Jermaine looked like he was lip-syncing on "I'll Be There".

i have the britney duet version on mp3 and its live vocals all the way imo

"Beat It" and "The Way You Make Me Feel" were playback, in a lower pitch I guess so he could sing live ad libs toward the end. I remember the first time hearing it and thinking it was live lol. I guess the lowered voice sounded a lot like his actual (lower) voice.

i find it odd that he would re-record and fiddle with the pitches of the songs just for those two nights. cause lets be honest, he did 90% of history tour with album playbacks, so he ain't exactly the most discreet of lipsynchers, rofl. he coudnt even be bothered to re-record the off the wall medley, which kinda makes you cringe when you watch cause the change in his voice was quite drastic but the way he's lipsynching really hard, like he's really feeling what he's saying makes me :lol: :doh: Mike!

Last edited:
He sung the intro to TWYMMF, which was then edited out for whatever reason. And then I believe it was just playback with his voice turned down a couple of keys.

yeah, i think that too, i used to think that the britney performance was live but somebody did an mp3 comparing it to the same bit but with a higher pitch and than the same bit on the album track and it sounded a lot like the album version but just at a lower pitch.

here's the audio with the comparison:

http://rapidshare.com/files/160082380/wymmf30th.mp3.html

Last edited:
i defo say it was live. the vocals were raw and nothing like a playback interms of hearing him breathing and the ows and hees hees obviously being live and it not being clear and smooth like a recording is. andsinging in time to the music and what not making it obviously not miming

i defo say it was live. the vocals were raw and nothing like a playback interms of hearing him breathing and the ows and hees hees obviously being live and it not being clear and smooth like a recording is. andsinging in time to the music and what not making it obviously not miming

listen to it in the link i posted.

both versions of TWYMMF had majority playback (with original album vocals pitched down a couple of semitones) and live ad libs here and there.

listend to it and i still say its live. have u heard the whole track.mj singing quieter under britney when shes doing her part and all the obviousl breathing that u hear when its live and his voice where u get the variations that arent obviously there when its recorded.

yeah, those are the adlib parts that we're referring too, cause silly britney forgot half the lines, so that's when mj started taking over. but the majority of it seems lipsynched to me its just harder to tell cause we're used to twymmf being in a higher pitch.

but the rest (majority of his vocals) is playback.

britneys is as well? i dont think ive actually ever payed that much attention to her, rofl. she couldnt even lipsynch on time? boo! :doh:

im gonna have to watch the whole thing again one of these days, i know a lot of fans didnt like it and something was wrong with mj during that time, but i quite liked the j5 part. :punk:

yah, J5 medley was spot on. i'd pay (extra) to see something like that again.

britneys is as well? i dont think ive actually ever payed that much attention to her, rofl. she couldnt even lipsynch on time? boo! :doh:
i didn't notice problems with timing (i think it's her style of singing), but i think hers is definitely playback and i don't see why she would change her usual strategy (and risk embarrassment) by singing live. but you can tell from the quality of the vocals anyway.

I think the I Want You Back part of the reunion medley was re-recorded. The ad libs of I'll Be There were (when the brothers are saying I'll Be, I'll Be....)

some bits from the whole medley were definitely pre-recorded for that show. but on the whole, it was a great live performance in the true sense of the word.

I think he sung some of the J5 songs live. The ad-libs in "I'll Be There" were definitely pre-recorded.

Some of the solo songs were pre-recorded or was from an album back track.

I think MJ's ad-libs were live. It sounded to me like they had an echo turned on at one point, but I didn't notice any lip-syncing with him. I only really noticed it with Jermaine's solo part and some of the backing vocals.

I was at "The Michael Jackson 30th Anniversary Concert" on Sept 7th 2001!! I sat on the right side of the stage and could see Michael where I sat very well!! I can guarantee 100% it was all live singing!! Tickets for the events started out at $2000 for front row seats to $700-400 in the area I sat!! I can atest I saw Michael's lips moving and could tell from the way he executed his words it was indeed sung live!! Plus being there live,after one of the songs he spoke to the audience using the same microphone and same tone to his voice he just sang in!!

I think MJ's ad-libs were live. It sounded to me like they had an echo turned on at one point, but I didn't notice any lip-syncing with him. I only really noticed it with Jermaine's solo part and some of the backing vocals.

Did you think Billie Jean was sung all the way live?

is there any download available with just the jackson 5 and Michael parts in audio format without any of the other singers/performances ?

Did you think Billie Jean was sung all the way live?

No.. just some of the ad-libs at the end. I was talking about the Jackson 5 portion of the concert though. MJ sounded live on all the J5 and Jacksons songs. 99% of the solo material was lip-synced.

Like I said, it sounded like at the end of "I'll Be There" that MJ was singing live and they had an echo on his mic. Jermaine looked like he sang live on "ABC" (sit yourself down a take a seat..), but looked like he lip-synced on "I'll Be There".

Last edited:
Plus being there live,after one of the songs he spoke to the audience using the same microphone and same tone to his voice he just sang in!!

You do know they can turn the mic off and on right?

So MJ lip-synced the 30th anniversary.

But why?Still laringits?

Lmao! It can't be the laringitas story again! I would think the he its because his dancing is not as structured on the J5 set as it is when he does the solo set, hence the live vocals on the J5 set.

Yeah that dude was breathing too damn hard, his voice couldn't keep up with him. He looked spent at the end of the concert anyway, I mean he was already looking like he was gonna catch some z's or was sick with something, I don't know... :mellow: :lol:

haha watch some of the amateur footage, Mike was completely OUT of it on one of the nights.

I know they can turn a mike on or off just like that!! Duh!! What I said was I was there I saw the whole thing live from J5 music to his own solo music it was indeed done LIVE!! No recorded voice overs!! No lip syncing was done!! Period!! It was a special event that included many other artists and celebrities,and it was an expensive event for the fans,plus it was a reunion with his brothers!! Michael would never cheat his fans or friends or family at such an event by singing to a previously recorded tape!! It was LIVE!! How do I know!? I was there and saw the whole thing!!

Back