17 Apr08: MJ News and Mentionings : 2 Sony ATV articles mentioning Michael

Rasta Pasta

Proud Member

MJ News in review for
17 Apr 08

....or should I say Mentionings..........

Review: Thriller Live, Grand Opera House, York
By Nadia Jefferson-Brown

THIS "musical celebration featuring the hit songs of Michael and The Jackson 5" left me slightly confused about what the show was trying to achieve.

I was expecting a line-up of all-singing, all-dancing Jackos through the decades, but four of the five principle singers - although obviously talented - were by no means King Of Pop impersonators.

But it was great entertainment, and the packed-out auditorium lapped up the nostalgia, giving a rapturous response to young Dominic Smith, who was the only credible *****. The 14-year-old, who was a finalist in Britain's Got Talent 2007, got the party started by belting out old favourites from I Want You Back to ABC.

Sharing the limelight was Pop Idol contender Hayley Evetts who was rarely off stage with her rich, powerful voice, AJ Lewis, who was more Lionel Richie than Jackson, and the very smooth Roger Wright.

Peter Eldridge's shaggy-long, blond hair, tattoos and gravelly voice seemed out of place at times, but credit goes to his moving rendition of She's Out Of My Life.

The show was visually mesmerising thanks to choreographers LaVelle Smith Jnr and Gary Lloyd and the very energetic dancing troupe, particularly the acrobatic Hollie Victoria and Richard Smikle.

The gig climaxed with the appearance of Ricko Baird, previously a front dancer with Michael Jackson himself on the award-winning dance number, Dangerous.

His singing was not up to much, but at least he looked like the real thing and had all the right moves.

10:34am today

http://www.thisisyork.co.uk/whatson...view_thriller_live_grand_opera_house_york.php

...and more Mentionings..........

Lancaster's got talent
[SIZE=-1]Lancaster Today, UK - 3 hours ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]And he is set to prove he has bags of talent by performing a full dance routine from Michael Jackson's Billy Jean video, including moon walks, ...[/SIZE]

Comebacks to anticipate most
[SIZE=-1]Villanovan (subscription), PA - 27 minutes ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Yes, I'm talking to you, Michael Jackson. You may be an unusually … uh … unique person who hasn't led the most orthodox lifestyle, but one cannot deny the ...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-2]Liverpool Confidential[/SIZE]
THRILLING DATES
[SIZE=-1]Derby Evening Telegraph, UK - 7 hours ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]A Musical celebration of the hit sounds of Michael Jackson and The Jackson 5 is coming to stages around the country with the UK tour of Thriller Live. ...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Win tickets to see Thriller Live [SIZE=-1]Liverpool Confidential[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Barack Obama visits Philadelphia
[SIZE=-1]Hudson Valley Press, NY - 22 hours ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The last people I remember given such constant airplay by radio and TV outlets were Michael Jackson in ‘84 and the Beatles way back in ‘67. ...[/SIZE]

(Can you make the MJ connection from the article about McDonald's?)

Day 122 What the media don't show about Michael Jackson the business man –

The Heat Is On For 'Voice of McDonald's' Finalists
Three Contestants Advance to Final Singing Competition Thursday, April 17

ORLANDO, Fla., April 15 /PRNewswire/ -- They've traveled thousands of miles, spent hundreds of hours singing note upon note, and now it all comes down to one final performance. The dreams of one vocally talented McDonald's restaurant employee will come true this Thursday as he or she is named the next "Voice of McDonald's" $25,000 grand prize winner. Following last night's semi-final competition, when 14 hopefuls delighted the audience at McDonald's 2008 Worldwide Convention in Orlando, Fla., three competitors move to the grand finale: Candido Revilles, Calgary, Alberta, Canada; Mary Margaret Yu, Davao City, Philippines; and Natercia Pintor, Lisbon, Portugal.

(Photo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20080415/AQTU091)
Competitors were scored last night by a respected panel of judges, including Grammy Award-winning song writer and producer Rodney "Darkchild" Jerkins.

"What a tough decision," said Jerkins. "I was so inspired to see how much heart the contestants poured into their performances and how musically talented they are. They all deserve a standing ovation for going for their dreams."

Voice of McDonald's is arguably the largest global singing competition of its kind, open to the 1.6 million McDonald's crew members and managers in 118 countries. More than 3,600 talented singers entered the contest. Now, the three motivated finalists are gearing up for one last musical showdown on Thursday, April 17. Each will have one last opportunity to perform his or her best song in front of multi-platinum and Grammy Award-winning artist and songwriter Ne-Yo; Jody Gerson, co-president, Sony/ATV Music Publishing; and Ken Hertz, senior partner, Goldring, Hertz and Lichtenstein, LLP. In addition to winning $25,000, the winner will receive a trip for two to the "American Idol(TM)" Season 7 finale in Los Angeles next month.

"I can't begin to describe how transforming this experience has been for me," said Candido Revilles, Calgary, Alberta, Canada. "I never thought I'd have the chance to compete for such a huge prize and sing for an important music producer like Rodney Jerkins."

Since arriving on their all-expense paid trip to Orlando, contestants have been busy working with vocal coaches and learning an original song written especially for this competition. The three finalists performed the song together during yesterday's semi-finals. Contestants have also had the opportunity to bond with their colleagues from around the world and meet top McDonald's executives.

Voice of McDonald's II is just one example of the opportunities McDonald's creates to celebrate the talents of its employees around the world. This program is a fun way to honor our people and let their voices be heard.

About McDonald's

McDonald's is the leading global foodservice retailer with more than 30,000 local restaurants in more than 100 countries. More than 75% of McDonald's restaurants worldwide are owned and operated by franchisees and affiliates. Please visit our website at http://www.mcdonalds.com to learn more about the Company.

McDonald's and the Voice of McDonald's II logo are trademarks of McDonald's Corporation and its affiliates.

http://sev.prnewswire.com/restaurants/20080415/AQTU09115042008-1.html

Sony/ATV 2008 ASCAP Award Winners
Apr 11, 2008

ASCAP CELEBRATES 25 YEARS OF HONORING POP MUSIC'S TOP MUSIC CREATORS

Over 1,800 songwriters, recording artists, industry leaders and members of the music community gathered at the 25th Annual ASCAP Pop Music Awards on Wednesday, April 9th at the Kodak Theatre in Los Angeles, California to salute the songwriters behind some of today's most popular music. Attendees at this year's invitation-only event included students from GRAMMY U, University of Southern California's Thornton School of Music and the Hollywood Media Arts program. Additionally, participants in the ASCAP "I Create Music" EXPO, a three-day conference dedicated to songwriting and composing, were invited to experience this star-studded evening.

Top awards were given to: Song of the Year (tie): "Big Girls Don't Cry" (Sony/ATV) and "The Sweet Escape" (Sony/ATV).

Most Performed Songs:

The following awards honor the Sony/ATV most performed songs in the ASCAP repertory from the 4th Quarter 2006 through the 4th Quarter 2007.

"Apologize"
(OneRepublic and Timbaland)
Ryan Tedder
Midnite Miracle Music
Sony/ATV Tunes LLC
Velvet Hammer Music

"Bartender"
(T-Pain with Akon)
Akon
Byefall Music LLC
Sony/ATV Tunes LLC

"Beautiful Girls"
(Sean Kingston)
Kisean Anderson
Sly "Pyper" Jordan
Jerry Leiber
Mike Stoller
Almo Music Corp.
Eyes Above Water Music
Feed My Babeez
Sony/ATV Tunes LLC

"Because Of You"
(Ne-Yo)
Mikkel Eriksen
Tor Hermansen
EMI Music Publishing
Sony/ATV Tunes LLC

"Before He Cheats"
(Carrie Underwood)
Joshua Kear
Chris Tompkins
Big Loud Shirt
Mighty Under Dog Music
(Big Yellow Dog Music)
Sony/ATV Tunes LLC

"Big Girls Don't Cry"
(Fergie)
Stacy Ferguson
Toby Gad
Big Girls Don't Cry Publishing
Sony/ATV Tunes LLC

"Bubbly"
(Colbie Caillat)
Jason Reeves
Dancing Squirrel Music
Inafi Music
Sony/ATV Tunes LLC

"Don't Matter"
(Akon)
Akon
Byefall Music LLC
Sony/ATV Tunes LLC

"Fergalicious"
(Fergie with Will. I. Am)
Arabian Prince
Dania "Baby D" Birks
Juana Burns-Sperling
Stacy Ferguson
Ralf Hutter
Juanita A. Lee
Florian Schneider-Esleben
Fatimah Shaheed
Bughouse
EMI Music Publishing
Headphone Junkie Publishing
Pink Passion Muzick
Ruthless Attack Muzick
Sony/ATV Tunes LLC
Two Badd Music

"Hate That I Love You"
(Rihanna with Ne-Yo)
Mikkel Eriksen
Tor Hermansen
EMI Music Publishing
Sony/ATV Tunes LLC

"Hurt"
(Christina Aguilera)
Linda Perry
Sony/ATV Tunes LLC
Stuck In The Throat

"I Wanna Love You"
(Akon with Snoop Dogg)
Akon
Byefall Music LLC
Sony/ATV Tunes LLC

"Irreplaceable"
(Beyoncé)
Beyoncé
Mikkel Eriksen
Tor Hermansen
B Day Publishing
EMI Music Publishing
Sony/ATV Tunes LLC

"Smack That"
(Akon with Eminem)
Akon
Luis Resto
Byefall Music LLC
Nueve Music LLC
Resto World Music
Sony/ATV Tunes LLC

"The Sweet Escape"
(Gwen Stefani with Akon)
Akon
Gwen Stefani
Giorgio Tuinfort
Byefall Music LLC
Harajuku Lover Music
Sony/ATV Tunes LLC

"Umbrella"
(Rihanna with Jay-Z)
Thaddis "Kuk" Harrell
Jay-Z
Terius "The Dream" Nash
C. "Tricky" Stewart
2082 Music Publishing
Carter Boys Music
Marchninenth Music
Songs of Peer Ltd.
Sony/ATV Tunes LLC
Warner/Chappell Music, Inc.

"Wait For You"
(Elliott Yamin)
Mikkel Eriksen
Tor Hermansen
Phillip "Taj" Jackson
EMI Music Publishing
Sony/ATV Tunes LLC
Water Music Publishing LLC

"Waiting On The World To Change"
(John Mayer)
John Mayer
Sony/ATV Tunes LLC
Specific Harm Music

"Walk Away (Remember Me)"
(Paula DeAnda featuring The D.E.Y.)
Emilio "YEYO" Cancio-Bello
Mikkel Eriksen
Tor Hermansen
Rafael "Divine" Torres
EMI Music Publishing
Shangai Publishing
Sony/ATV Tunes LLC
Tio Tato Music

† Indicates Top 5 Song

Click here to to listen to above tracks.

http://www.sonyatv.com/index.php/articles/378

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: 17 Apr08: MJ News and Mentionings

Thanks for the news. I really enjoyed the MJ-Comeback story.
Here's my list of just some of the people who need to make a comeback as soon as possible:

I have one word for you (cue the dancing): Thriller!

Yes, I'm talking to you, Michael Jackson.

You may be an unusually … uh … unique person who hasn't led the most orthodox lifestyle, but one cannot deny the fact that you have been and always will be the King of Pop.

The pop world is not the same without you, and we could really use a new dance move to get this party started. (How about a 3D moonwalk?)

:)

Last edited:

For those who were/are interested on the CD package ideas I have, check them out..

((Includes digital examples of what it looks like))

It has the one from yesterday plus 2 new ones

scroll down to: Post #: 1791
http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/sh...99#post1415999

Last edited:

MMMMM suprised that this hasn't been posted on here.

http://blogs.reuters.com/mediafile/2008/04/17/sonyatvs-bandier-keen-for-digital-beatles/

Sony/ATV’s Bandier keen for digital Beatles

Aside from the chaps at EMI, Sony/ATV CEO Martin Bandier is another person who is very excited at the possibility of the Beatles archives finally going digital.
Why wouldn’t he? According to the larger-than-life publishing veteran, his company manages the rights of “about 100 percent” of the music and lyrics penned by John Lennon and Paul McCartney for the Fab Four.
After last month’s TV ratings success in licensing the Beatles’ tunes to American Idol, Bandier is keen to do more deals with the valuable archive. He thinks making the songs available in a digital format will create even more opportunities for his company, EMI and Apple Corp, which manages the Beatles’ affairs.
“One of the things that I think the Beatles are working on closer with EMI - and hopefully getting closer to finalizing it - is to allow for the digital use of Beatles on the Apple (iTunes) store and everywhere else. It would be incredible,” Bandier told Reuters in an interview.
But it isn’t his decision to make as EMI and Apple Corp lead those discussions.
“All we can do is sit on the sidelines and root like crazy,” said Bandier.
Sony/ATV is a joint venture between Sony Corp and pop star Michael Jackson. Bandier says the gloved one has been a great partner even as speculation floats from time to time that Jackson may want to sell his share to repay some of his loans.
“I don’t think that Michael’s interested in selling his share. For me, he’s been a great partner, has been supportive and has an amazing reputation among the artistry and makes a call when we need him to reinforce our position with artists. “

Goes to show that the haters hate to hear this kind of positiveness and this is coming from the top person of the Sony ATV. Michael is indeed very much part of the Sony ATV decisions and things like that.

Sony/ATV is a joint venture between Sony Corp and pop star Michael Jackson. Bandier says the gloved one has been a great partner even as speculation floats from time to time that Jackson may want to sell his share to repay some of his loans.
“I don’t think that Michael’s interested in selling his share. For me, he’s been a great partner, has been supportive and has an amazing reputation among the artistry and makes a call when we need him to reinforce our position with artists. “

So we have another horse besides T25 to root for now, eh? COME ON, EMI AND APPLE CORP!!! Move your bootay, that mightay bootay!! :lol: Go! Go! Goooo!! :punk:

Goes to show that the haters hate to hear this kind of positiveness and this is coming from the top person of the Sony ATV. Michael is indeed very much part of the Sony ATV decisions and things like that.

Totally agree with you. They seem to be working together rather harmoniously. That can only mean good things for them both. YAYness!!

Thanks to all for the news and updates. :flowers:

http://www.reuters.com/article/reutersEdge/idUSN1620876020080417

Sony/ATV seeks songs, may expand into touring

LONDON/NEW YORK (Reuters) - Music publisher Sony/ATV is well placed to purchase catalogues of songs that come to the market and would consider expanding into artist management and touring, its chief executive said on Wednesday.
Sony/ATV, a joint venture between Sony Corp (6758.T: Quote, Profile, Research) and pop star Michael Jackson, expects more music catalogues to be put up for sale this year as people look to cash in profits in a slowing economy, said CEO Martin Bandier in a telephone interview.
"To the extent that large acquisitions become available, Sony/ATV is in a particularly good place," he said. "It's hard to overpay for a great Picasso...if you're buying quality music that will last for generations. Great songs are a rarity."
Sony/ATV is a traditional music publisher which makes money every time a piece of music is used on a variety of outlets including radio, movies, live performances, advertising as well as a share from recorded music sales.
The company owns rights to classic songs by the Beatles and newer songs by artists like Akon and Fergie.
Bandier, who oversaw the growth of EMI Music Publishing from No. 4 to the largest before he left in 2007, said co-owner Sony recognized the value of music publishing and would likely fund an acquisition with "open arms" if the deal was right.
He said he had shirked from paying over the odds for the Chrysalis (CHS.L: Quote, Profile, Research) catalogue, which was up for sale this month. Chrysalis said this week it had turned down a bid from EMI for 130 million pounds ($256 million).
"I didn't understand how that was going to work under any circumstances," Bandier said. He said he was not surprised his former employer EMI and its new private equity owner, Terra Firma, did not agree to raise their price. Continued...

http://www.reuters.com/article/reutersEdge/idUSN1620876020080417?pageNumber=3&virtualBrandChannel=0

I just assumed that they had enough financial issues going on and they weren't going to be stepping up and paying some exorbitant price, I know those guys aren't stupid," he said.
NEW GROWTH AREAS
Music publishers have been less damaged by piracy than the recorded music sector, which is seeing declining sales of CDs. Music publishers have more revenue streams, which has made catalogues increase in value.
Sony/ATV has around 12 percent market share, behind Vivendi's (VIV.PA: Quote, Profile, Research) Universal Music Group in first place, EMI in second and Warner Music's (WMG.N: Quote, Profile, Research) Warner/Chapell in third.
Under Bandier, Sony/ATV paid an estimated $370 million for Viacom Inc's (VIAb.N: Quote, Profile, Research) Famous Music, which owns over 125,000 songs and sound cues including music by Eminem and Shakira. Last year, it paid an estimated $50 million for the Leiber and Stoller catalogue, including songs like "Jailhouse Rock".
New growth areas for the industry include video games, ringtones and lyrics on clothing. The development of online advertising also provides new opportunities.
"Music is ever-present in everything we do. The problem the music business has had was monetizing and getting paid," he said.
One way the recorded music industry has tried to adapt to the problems within the industry is to explore so-called 360-degree deals with artists, where the companies also handle touring, artist management and merchandising.
"I think that the management business is terrific, I think the touring business offers incredible opportunities (and) we are already in the merchandising business," said Bandier. Continued...

Last edited:
All I can say about these two articles is KACHACHING! Michael is not broke you haters. Michael is rolling in the dough because it is obvious with what kind of deals Sony ATV are having. Where are you Rasta Pasta?

Dorothy great articles and maybe you should send Rasta those articles in a PM she'll be all smiles when seeing it :)

http://blogs.reuters.com/mediafile/2008/04/17/sonyatvs-bandier-keen-for-digital-beatles/
Thanks. And You can bet your last dollar that Bandier is paying Michael good money for doing that. You could say that Michael is 'artists liason' officer for the company,:D

Last edited:
If these articles don't show people that Michael is a very important part of this company, then I don't know what else will.

I betcha any money, Michael has a big office in the Sony building in New York.

If these articles don't show people that Michael is a very important part of this company, then I don't know what else will.

I betcha any money, Michael has a big office in the Sony building in New York.
I betcha too that the company get a lot of customers just by using Michael. The thought that they might meet Michael is enough to make any artist sign on the dotted line.:D Also the artists get to see that the company IS indeed Michael's own and that adds a new respect for Michael too.

Oh, girl ( or boy), I have always felt that people like Beyonce went to Sony because they knew it housed Michael. I know if I were an artist looking for a label, the first one I would think of is the one that Michael works with! :lol:

Oh, girl ( or boy), I have always felt that people like Beyonce went to Sony because they knew it housed Michael. I know if I were an artist looking for a label, the first one I would think of is the one that Michael works with! :lol:
Indeed. I hope Sony pays Michael handsomely for his priceless contribution. You and I know that it has noting to do with profit. he still gets his full wack. Also notice that Bandiar said that the company is finacially healthy. This means that MJ is getting good returns on his investment too. MJ doesn't have to record another album if he doesn't want to cause that is not where the real money is, it is right there where MJ is sitting.
I think Forbes asked the question about MJ selling because Forbes remember that this time last year it was all over the papers that MJ was selling the catalogue this month. Now we know it was all lies. I bet that LIAR will be quiet about all his.
So MJ is planning on brancing out into the conert planning and managerial business with his company. I bet he will get Pepsi on board with him.:D

Last edited:
...I think Forbes asked the question about MJ selling because Forbes remember that this time last year it was all over the papers that MJ was selling the catalogue this month. Now we know it was all lies. I bet that LIAR will be quiet about all his...
:lol:. I have an article archived from way back in October 2001 written by the aforementioned "liar" claiming even then that Michael was about to lose the catalog. And again in 2002, and 2003, and 2004, and 2005, and 2006, and 2007. Talk about persistent!

P.S., Thank you very much, Rasta, for all the information you compile and post all the time about the catalog business! It's always interesting to read :D

:lol:. I have an article archived from way back in October 2001 written by the aforementioned "liar" claiming even then that Michael was about to lose the catalog. And again in 2002, and 2003, and 2004, and 2005, and 2006, and 2007. Talk about persistent!

P.S., Thank you very much, Rasta, for all the information you compile and post all the time about the catalog business! It's always interesting to read :D
Yes indeed. And don't forget that Michael has the Midas touch and people follow him cause they believe he is where the money is. Who would have imagined that the catalogue business could have been so important today, more so that the actual recording industry. MJ is placed centre stage right where he wants to be. Even Simon Cowell has to respect him now.:D
And for the people fussing about MJ's career in music, MJ HAS a career in music, it is in the catalogue business. That is where his new focus is now and where no MEDIA can't control. The media sabbotage his singing career and messed up his record sales with their lies, but where MJ is at now, no matter how much lies the media tells, it will not do much damage to his catalogue business. MJ has cemented himself in the music business, you'all and there isn't a thing they can do about it.

Last edited:
I am totally in love with both of those Sony/ATV articles. Thank you for posting them.

Michael Jackson is a force to be reckoned with in the music business. I'm so happy that Martin Bandier laid it down like that.

I love the part where MJ calls upon an artist, to reinforce Sony/ATV's position. That's what you call POWER!

As Rasta would say: LOVING IT!

Sony/ATV’s Bandier keen for digital Beatles

Aside from the chaps at EMI, Sony/ATV CEO Martin Bandier is another person who is very excited at the possibility of the Beatles archives finally going digital.
Why wouldn’t he? According to the larger-than-life publishing veteran, his company manages the rights of “about 100 percent” of the music and lyrics penned by John Lennon and Paul McCartney for the Fab Four.
After last month’s TV ratings success in licensing the Beatles’ tunes to American Idol, Bandier is keen to do more deals with the valuable archive. He thinks making the songs available in a digital format will create even more opportunities for his company, EMI and Apple Corp, which manages the Beatles’ affairs.
“One of the things that I think the Beatles are working on closer with EMI - and hopefully getting closer to finalizing it - is to allow for the digital use of Beatles on the Apple (iTunes) store and everywhere else. It would be incredible,” Bandier told Reuters in an interview.
But it isn’t his decision to make as EMI and Apple Corp lead those discussions.

Thanks for posting.. this article wasn't out yet.. when I did the news thread......................

just so very nice to see Mr. Bandier praising Michael.............. especially saying the word "PARTNER"...

I hope this quote is remembered by fans the next time the media tries to lie about Michael's business matters.....and finances.........

All I can say about these two articles is KACHACHING! Michael is not broke you haters. Michael is rolling in the dough because it is obvious with what kind of deals Sony ATV are having. Where are you Rasta Pasta?

well, I guess I signed off too early yesterday....these 2 articles bring the biggest smile to my face...!!!

I was smiling when I was travelling to work yesterday via train.. because a guy had PYT as the ringtone on his phone.. when it rang.. when I was going into work.. and then I saw 2 teenagers jamming (and I mean jamming like it was a new joint from some Rapper) to PYT (not the remix but the ORIGINAL) from their phones when I was going home...

Then you was WBSS as the new theme song for ABC (Barbara Walters are you choking??)

so Michael is KaKaching $$$$ with Mijac Publishing and Sony/ATV.

Loving it!

Thank you for posting the news.

Great news about the Sony/ATV catalogue. Looks like the haters are starting to see the deal and as usual, are ignoring it. Hmmm, I wonder what the clown who "writes" those crappy articles about MJ have to say now?

you are welcome!

I love an underdog.. I consider Michael an under-dog..

for him to reached the levels he has reached.. is mind blowing..

the facts about his wealth and good business sense are there...don't let the media spoon-feed you.............Michael is still kicking down barriers..

and love that he is not bragging about it.. love the low-key approach to being one of the most gangsta- artist in the business.

loving it!

also Michael and Martin B go back a long way.. way back to the 1980's with the purchase of ATV... Michael hired Martin along with the Sony Execs for this position...

loving it!

Back