14 years on today - Rest In Peace to the biggest selling rap artist of all time!

thrillerchild

Proud Member
Rest In Peace to a true rap legend!

2pac.jpg

RIP 'pac! :angel:

Rest In Peace to the biggest selling rap artist of all time!
Are you sure it isn't Eminem? If not, he must be very close and will pass Tupac shortly, again assuming he hasn't already. Eminem was the biggest selling artist of the last ten years, regardless of genre, having sold more than 32.2 million albums in that time.

Source: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1627833/20091208/eminem.jhtml

I haven't checked out rap figures since the middle of last year so haven't taken Relapse into account. So yes He's probably close if not actually passed the previous record. But I'm not gonna turn this into a rap battle between artists...just to remember a legend.

Thread title isn't accurate but regardless Pac was one of the greatest to ever do it and should still be here.

RIP he was a great lyricist, very aware of the world. I wish he didn't get into so much trouble because he was taken far too young.

R.I.P. and no disrespect but I'm pretty sure Eminem passed him up a few years back.

“If God gives me breath for 20 more years, I see myself changing the world” - R.I.P. Tupac :heart:

R.i.p 2pac

Today marks the 14th anniversary since the death of acclaimed hip hop and music icon tupac. Dam i still cant beleive its been this long. I feel hart broken just thinking about it. Lets tlk about the life music and legaend of pac.

Sn: I love you 2pac and miss you

Re: R.i.p 2pac

Yes. I hate it that Tupac is no longer here.
I still listen to and enjoy his music to this day.
I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I learned of his death.

Fourteen years already! :(

that man was a genius

“For every dark night, there's a brighter day”

As much as I can't stand Tore', the so called music crititc, he said something
on TV recently that I found interesting. He said some rappers use their nose,
some rap from the throat but Pac raps from his abdomen.
That's POWER!

The feds is watchin, niggaz plottin to get me
Will I survive, will I die? Come on let's picture the possibility
Givin me charges, lawyers makin a grip
I told the judge I was raised wrong, and that's why I blaze shit.
--Tupac

Today marks the 14th anniversary since the death of acclaimed hip hop and music icon tupac. Dam i still cant beleive its been this long. I feel hart broken just thinking about it. Lets tlk about the life music and legaend of pac.

Sn: I love you 2pac and miss you

Are you sure it isn't Eminem? If not, he must be very close and will pass Tupac shortly, again assuming he hasn't already. Eminem was the biggest selling artist of the last ten years, regardless of genre, having sold more than 32.2 million albums in that time.

Source: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1627833/20091208/eminem.jhtml

you can't make assumptions on this. you never know who is buying what. so far, even with your link, you're not sure. but it should be a non issue, anyway.

Eminem hasnt surpassed 2pac by a long shot. i keep up with pac's figures and his sales havent been updated since 2006 and it was at 75 million. eminem's figures are always updated and his are at 80 mill. if pac sold 75 mill at 06 and em at 80 at 2010.. pac right now is pass that long time ago. it just hasnt been updated. but insiders on the pac msg board sayits almost at a 100 mill and will be updated by the time his upcoming bio-pic film comes out. so no worries the white boy hasnt snatched up pac. :) sn: no beef just saying sorry em fans.

^^^^^^^^^^^I agree........Tupac's sales must be well over 100 million........

Since the day is over, I guess we can make this thread about the record sales since that's the direction it was heading. I just want to say that I have no idea how you guys can claim that 2Pac would have sold over 25 million records in the past four years. He didn't even have a major new release that would merit that kind of sales boost to my knowledge. Am I to believe his old albums are really just that popular? Lol.

Since the day is over, I guess we can make this thread about the record sales since that's the direction it was heading. I just want to say that I have no idea how you guys can claim that 2Pac would have sold over 25 million records in the past four years. He didn't even have a major new release that would merit that kind of sales boost to my knowledge. Am I to believe his old albums are really just that popular? Lol.

well i don't know that the year of release matters here. what i do know is that the local radio station in my town, has a tupac hour, every day. and it's the most listened to station in the city. and i always hear neighbors blasting 2pac music, from any given year of his music releases. so i assume it's selling. in rap, there's always the battles of who is the man..or woman...Tupac is always at or near the top. there's never a case of him being overrated, or out of date. that has to count for something. he gets sort of the rap treatment of a Beatles special that i hear on an oldies station, on a regular basis. on some level, that will lead to sales, regularly. new generations introduced, and getting schooled by previous generations. the stuff not reported, doesn't stop it from happening on a regular basis. so..i guess the best thing to assume is Eminem is selling, but so is Tupac...other than that, anybody can come up with any numbers. i think Tupac started his career before Eminem, so that might count for something too, since Tupac has never stopped selling since his career began.

Last edited:
I'm sure people are still buying his old albums but over 25 million in 4 years? In this day and age? Why? Feels like there would need to be some kind of significant event to cause that.

It's all speculation until his sales are officially updated, of course, but damn, that just sounds unrealistic.

I'm sure people are still buying his old albums but over 25 million in 4 years? In this day and age? Why? Feels like there would need to be some kind of significant event to cause that.

It's all speculation until his sales are officially updated, of course, but damn, that just sounds unrealistic.

well..a lot of things in life sound unrealistic, until the un is taken away by some unforseen thing. i don't personally buy the music of either artist, so maybe, to me, a lot might be unrealistic about it. but, then, i might be just looking at my habits and coming to that conclusion. but my neighbor or neighbors may be fanatics of Tupac and or Eminem. and for them, making a shrine might be realistic. and this is a big world. there's always somebody going through something, that says, 'i gotta buy this song to relate to my situation.' it's damn realistic to think Tupac had some lyrics to relate to an ongoing thing....it's called..oppression.

2pac's best song voted by the fans is "Changes" which was recorded whilst he was at Interscope (around 92/93) and was released on his Greatest Hits album in the late 90's. Below I've copied the lyrics. Almost all of it is still (sadly) relevant today :(

"Changes"

[1]
Come on come on
I see no changes wake up in the morning and I ask myself
is life worth living should I blast myself?
I'm tired of bein' poor & even worse I'm black
my stomach hurts so I'm lookin' for a purse to snatch
Cops give a damn about a negro
pull the trigger kill a nigga he's a hero
Give the crack to the kids who the hell cares
one less hungry mouth on the welfare
First ship 'em dope & let 'em deal the brothers
give 'em guns step back watch 'em kill each other
It's time to fight back that's what Huey said
2 shots in the dark now Huey's dead
I got love for my brother but we can never go nowhere
unless we share with each other
We gotta start makin' changes
learn to see me as a brother instead of 2 distant strangers
and that's how it's supposed to be
How can the Devil take a brother if he's close to me?
I'd love to go back to when we played as kids
but things changed, and that's the way it is

[Bridge w/ changing ad libs]
Come on come on
That's just the way it is
Things'll never be the same
That's just the way it is
aww yeah
[Repeat]

[2]
I see no changes all I see is racist faces
misplaced hate makes disgrace to races
We under I wonder what it takes to make this
one better place, let's erase the wasted
Take the evil out the people they'll be acting right
'cause both black and white is smokin' crack tonight
and only time we chill is when we kill each other
it takes skill to be real, time to heal each other
And although it seems heaven sent
We ain't ready, to see a black President, uhh
It ain't a secret don't conceal the fact
the penitentiary's packed, and it's filled with blacks
But some things will never change
try to show another way but you stayin' in the dope game
Now tell me what's a mother to do
bein' real don't appeal to the brother in you
You gotta operate the easy way
"I made a G today" But you made it in a sleazy way
sellin' crack to the kid. " I gotta get paid,"
Well hey, well that's the way it is

[Bridge]

[Talking:]
We gotta make a change...
It's time for us as a people to start makin' some changes.
Let's change the way we eat, let's change the way we live
and let's change the way we treat each other.
You see the old way wasn't working so it's on us to do
what we gotta do, to survive.

[3]
And still I see no changes can't a brother get a little peace
It's war on the streets & the war in the Middle East
Instead of war on poverty they got a war on drugs
so the police can bother me
And I ain't never did a crime I ain't have to do
But now I'm back with the facts givin' it back to you
Don't let 'em jack you up, back you up,
crack you up and pimp smack you up
You gotta learn to hold ya own
they get jealous when they see ya with ya mobile phone
But tell the cops they can't touch this
I don't trust this when they try to rush I bust this
That's the sound of my tool you say it ain't cool
my mama didn't raise no fool
And as long as I stay black I gotta stay strapped
& I never get to lay back
'Cause I always got to worry 'bout the pay backs
some punk that I roughed up way back
comin' back after all these years
rat-tat-tat-tat-tat that's the way it is uhh

[Bridge 'til fade:]
Some things will never change

R.I.P. Tupac Shakur. "How long will they mourn me?"---Don't worry, so many people mourning you. Been 14 years now, but there's no stopping us.

Earlier today I was listening to some hiphop (not Tupac's songs) and out of the blue, thought to myself, "If Tupac had been with Def Jam...Naw, first off, if he had not caught the case...then Suge Knight wouldn't have been in the picture, no Death Row deal....." At this point, I shuddered to think how scary the lable name actually is, as if I heard it for the first time.

@ grand master its not unrealistic at all my friend there is a huge love for pac. and the numbers i siad could of been higher than what i posted. but its for certain that pac outsold eminem i know this. not downing slim shady but pac's a bigger artist believe or not. he has a huge following in Africa , Asia , Europe, And the carribean as well. em is only really big in the u.s , and europe for the most part. I love em and he my 2nd fave but makaveli got him sales wise its in the history books. once they update the sales youll see

So, to put this shit in perspective, Michael Jackson (who is an infinitely bigger star than 2Pac or any other rapper) just one year after his death sold around 10 million albums according to Nielson, and 2Pac about a decade after dying has sold over 25 million worth of mostly old material in the past 4 years.

Aight.

So, to put this shit in perspective, Michael Jackson (who is an infinitely bigger star than 2Pac or any other rapper) just one year after his death sold around 10 million albums according to Nielson, and 2Pac about a decade after dying has sold over 25 million worth of mostly old material in the past 4 years.

Aight.

who is to say the media is telling the truth about Michael Jackson, or Tupac..or..for that matter..Eminem? how the media treats these artists..what the media tries to accomplish usually has an affect the media doesn't want. so a lot depends on whether the media embraces an artist, hates an artist or is indifferent toward an artist, that helps or hurts an artist's popularity. sometimes the way the media may embrace an artist hurts that artist's popularity, because of the rebellion or backlash factor. then there may be all kinds of personal stuff, just like any relationship..such as the media mistreated my artist so i'll teach the media a lesson and take it out on their artist and not buy their material..and stuff like that. it happens..

i think the purpose of all this discussion is to find something deeper than media reports, to determine sales, because there is so much more to the audience, than the media will ever give credit.., though i'm sure it is more convenient to look at what the press has to say. we have seen what the media can do with the court of law, in the many trials of Michael Jackson. so, the word 'fact' doesn't get in the way of media agenda. it's a challenge, but it's worth taking.

Last edited:
Back