The Michael Jackson Musical: 'MJ'

So I've just been reading up on the show. Am I right that the album doesn't feature Tabloid Junkie, Shout, Climb Every Mountain and Working Day and Night?
Do they perform Shout live? I'd love to hear that and yes, Shout should be on the album.

MJ the Musical
@dontstopMJ
·
36m

Sept 14, Cincinnati, sold out

MJ the Musical
@dontstopMJ
·
13h

Sept 13, Cincinnati, sold out

MJ the Musical
@dontstopMJ
·
16h

The shows in Atlanta are six weeks away and already more than 36, 500 tickets have been sold in the 4,665-seat Fox Theater
Edit:

1694575868352.png

Pic of Janet at JFK airport this week.

Last edited:

MJ THE MUSICAL Will Open in Germany Next Year​

This marks the musical's fourth international production
By: Stephi Wild Sep. 26, 2023

The multiple Tony Award® winning Broadway musical MJ is coming to Germany at the Stage Theater an der Elbe in Hamburg in late fall 2024. Additional information including dates and casting will be announced at a later date. Register today at Click Here to be the first to know when tickets go on sale.

For the German production, all songs will remain in English, while dialogue will be translated into German.

MJ is currently playing on Broadway at the Neil Simon Theatre. Since beginning performances in December 2021, the production has played to nearly 1 million patrons and has broken the box office record at the Neil Simon Theatre ten times. The North American Tour, which opened in Chicago on August 1st, is currently playing in Charlotte, NC, and the West End premiere is set for March 2024 at London’s Prince Edward Theatre.

"A world-class artist is honored in a world-class musical: we definitely wanted to show this in Germany!” said Uschi Ness, Managing Director of Stage Entertainment Germany. “I am proud that we have succeeded in bringing MJ to Hamburg and I would like thank producers Lia Vollack, John Branca, and John McClain for the trust they have placed in us."

The show has been a massive success and it's only a matter of time before it does a worldwide tour.
I agree!!! I would go to every city to see this tour on each date. After the world tour, they will have some major changes, including an increase in the number of actors playing Michael Jackson at different ages of his life, new characters (including Rebbie, LaToya, and Janet, etc.), new songs (including just every Michael Jackson version in one number and multiple Michael Jacksons (at least three) in some of the numbers), some of the numbers from the original were cut, new scenes, and new dialogue, each Michael from a different age of his life getting solo songs, songs from the original getting reprises, the rearrangement of the songs from the original production (replacing other characters with MJ/Michael characters/adding MJ characters to the songs they don't perform before), the incorporating of MJs playing instruments, etc in other productions of the show after the success of the biopic, while the original Broadway musical will be going to stay the same formula. Every production of MJ the Musical will get a cast recording. For example, the "Man in the Mirror" ending part will be sung lead by one of the Michael Jackson characters instead of Katherine and "Money" will be sung by one of the MJ roles instead of Joseph. Joseph and Katherine will both have solo songs of their own.

Last edited:
Glad to see the musical expanding to non-English countries! Hope other countries adapt it soon.

I have my own ticket to see it here in St. Louis in June. Hope it lives up to the hype!

The show has been a massive success and it's only a matter of time before it does a worldwide tour.
I hope each production of MJ the Musical (Broadway, U.S./North American tour, West End, Hamburg etc) will select one cast member from each respective production to represent their respective productions and appear in this massive worldwide tour together!!!!!

Last edited:
I'd still like to hear from more people who have an opinion on the CD recording.

Didn't say I didn't like it. I just have problems with a couple of the songs (eg the mixing of Earth Song, and the basic flow/song order).

I've only listened once or twice, I was just after the pros and cons from the people that have listened to it a lot.

I'm always after supporting new artists, and listening to covers of MJ songs, so I'll probably get this unless it's really bad.

I guess it's a bit damning that we're on a MJ board and yet hardly anybody actually owns the album.

Didn't say I didn't like it. I just have problems with a couple of the songs (eg the mixing of Earth Song, and the basic flow/song order).

I've only listened once or twice, I was just after the pros and cons from the people that have listened to it a lot.

I'm always after supporting new artists, and listening to covers of MJ songs, so I'll probably get this unless it's really bad.

I guess it's a bit damning that we're on a MJ board and yet hardly anybody actually owns the album.
I don't use CDs anymore. I don't know what to tell you. And it's not MJ so most people condemn it off that alone.

But I, listened to it, and it's music. He sings well, better than most people covering MJs tunes really. The choices of song are, traditional, with a few surprises. It's a decent CD. If you like tributes it's a solid one. I would imagine just going to the musical is just way better though.

The choices of song are, traditional, with a few surprises.
Yeah, there are a handful of unusual songs, which I like.

I would imagine just going to the musical is just way better though.
These days I don't have time to travel for stuff like this. If it comes to a town within an hour of me (ie Liverpool/Manchester) then I will, otherwise I'm just not interested in the actual stage show itself, or any of the people in it. Tree in the forest, etc.

I will go to watch the revamped musical when the biopic comes!!!!! I hope when the hype starts, MJ the Musical will get a revamp and brand new productions will be coming, starting with the big world tour!!!! In the world tour, each version of Michael Jackson will be portrayed by an actor from every single production (Broadway, West End, U.S. National Tour, Hamburg) and split the Middle Michael role into two separate versions (Teenage Michael and Young Adult Michael)!! Additions/changes: New set, all new characters as featured roles, all versions of Michael Jackson as the lead roles, Rob/Joseph Jackson relegated to a supporting role, all Michael Jacksons playing instruments, new costumes, all four versions of MJ dance-offs’ with icons; All four Michael Jacksons will sing solos, in duets, in trios, and as quartets!! All four Michael Jacksons will extend their vocal range (Little Michael’s lowest:G3; the other three Michaels’ lowest:G2);new songs (one of them being one of the group songs sung by all MJs outside of MITM and finale); new finale; MITM ending sung by one of the versions of MJ! The versions of Michael will be portrayed by two Americans (Broadway and U.S. National Tour), a British (West End) and a German (Hamburg) in the world tour!!! After the world tour, all productions of MJ will adapt this revamped/brand-new formula and all future productions will have this brand-new and revamped formula!! Subsequent world tours will have each increasing number of versions of MJ portraying by actors from every single country (which the number keeps going up) which has at least one production!!! I hope the full cast album of the world tour will have all the songs from this initial brand-new production and I’ll listen to it!!! The number of actors portraying Michael Jackson will increase from three to four!!!

Just saw MJ The Musical again in Dallas. It was amazing! Definitely recommend! About the CD, it is a good tribute but wouldn’t listen to it on a daily basis. Great voices, and instruments are way better live. I do also like use on unreleased and rare songs that many people don’t listen to.

I'm gonna go see it next year in St Louis. Don't know which date yet tho.

GATBNZoXAAAT0UB

The way the musical banner featuring Michael's silhouette and initials can be seen on display in the background makes it feel like he is there himself in some small way.

I hope when the biopic comes out and the lawsuits dismissed next year, it will have a brand new production and a trio of Michael Jacksons will become a quartet by splitting the Middle Michael part into two separate versions (teen in mid-late 1970s and young adult in early-mid 1980s)!!!! Little Michael represents the J5 era, Teenage Michael represents late-Motown/Jacksons eras, (young) Adult Michael represents Off the Wall/Thriller/Bad eras, MJ represents the Dangerous and later eras. That’ll be amazing!!! That group will all have lead roles, while Rob/Joe Jackson relegates into a supporting role. All four Michaels (Little Michael at 10, Teenage Michael at 16-21, (young) Adult Michael at 21-26, and (mature) MJ in his 30s) will sing solos, duets, trios, and quartets of his songs!!! They will be increasing their vocal range from the original Broadway version (Little Michael’s lowest is G3; while all the other three Michaels’ (Teenage Michael, (young) Adult Michael, and MJ) lowest note each is G2)!!!!
❤
❤
❤
I also hope when it releases a cast album which includes all the songs from the revised set, I’ll listen to everything!!!! Changes and additions include new set, new songs, new and redesigned costumes, new characters, Smooth Criminal with The Lean, Billie Jean with dance solo, Thriller in full costume and choreography, All of MJs dance with icons who inspired them, All 4 Michaels actually playing instruments (guitar, piano, bass guitar, keyboards, drums, percussion, all other instruments that MJ used/held/played, and instruments that MJ never used/held/played); that group will also play as a band/orchestra; MITM ending sung by one of MJ incarnations, new scenes, new dialogue, new finale; new running time is at least three hours with a ten-minute intermission!!!! The Little Michael role will be single casting and one of the actors of Little Michael has to be replaced by a separate Young Adult Michael actor!!! The Teenage Michael has to take over the Middle Michael’s place!!! The revamped MJ the Musical will have a world tour, with each incarnation of MJ will be portrayed by an actor from every single country (US, UK, Germany, Australia etc)!!! All "MJ" actors in different stages of his life from every production will come together for the reimagined international tour!!!! That tour will be multilingual!!! That will be impressive!!! Little Michael: 8-13 Teenage Michael: 18-25 Young Adult Michael: 20-30 MJ: 30-40 Little Michael: Child, Early Teen; Teenage Michael: Early Teen, Late Teen; Young Adult Michael: Late Teen, Young Adult; MJ: Young Adult, Adult It’ll be interesting!!!
❤

Saw the show recently and thought it was excellent in every way, they made it meaningful and personal instead of just a jukebox musical.

Was disappointed the soundtrack doesn't have the Price of Fame Tabloid Junkie mash up, that was genius.

It seems that Hollywood in California deserved a premiere for all B-celebrities and influencers. As MJ The Musical is currently on Tour in the US, it has now arrived in Hollywood at the Pantages Theatre until January 26.
The Estate and Sony decided to do a mini-premiere for all B-celebrities and influencers to have a moment on the red carpet on December 21.
The perfect occasion for some of the musical big dogs to also show their faces such as Lynn Nottage, Christopher Wheeldon and Rich & Tone Talauega.
B-celebrity Paula Patton, Thuso Mbedu, David Oyelowo, Amanda Kloots, David Archuleta, Roman Banks (MJ in the show) also walked the red carpet with the cast of the show.
Some “influencers” who were also at the Las Vegas Blue Sapphire Celebration last August, were to the party such as TikToker Vik White, Bdash Derrick and Miranda Derrick.
While the red carpet showed some great outfits from crew, cast and guests, Brandon Lee Harris who plays “Michael” in the show, had a more revealing outfit showing off a sort of thong under his crop-top black jacket and trousers.
mjm-hollywood-06-2

Also present at the “premiere”, Kenny Ortega went to see the show and it would be great to know what he thought of the show as he was the Director on the Dangerous Tour which the musical is based on. Greg Phillinganes also turned up on the red carpet with his family. Glen Ballard and Siedah Garrett were also in the audience
mjm-hollywood-05-2
mjm-hollywood-04

Source/MJVibe

The National Tour of MJ The Musical Takes Its 1st Curtain Call in LA
The jukebox biomusical is playing the Pantages Theatre through January 28.

The first national tour of MJ The Musical has descended upon Los Angeles, where it's performing at the Pantages Theatre through January 28, 2024.

The tour celebrated its LA stop with a splashy opening night, attended by Barry Gordy and Susanne de Passe, Jon Batiste, Norm Nixon, Mario van Peebles, Kenny Ortega, Emily Bear, and Tony-winning creators Lynn Nottage and Christopher Wheeldon.

Back