The Last Person to Post in This Thread Wins

I'm done.
There's still only Metro 2033 sci-fi novel, post-apocalyptic future πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜…
Well, there is this. Although it is quite far into the future plus I'm not necessarily recommending that you listen to it. It's not exactly an uplifting song, lol. Very dystopian, quite bleak. But that's the 1960's for you! It wasn't all love and peace, maaan! :ROFLMAO:

Zager & Evans / In The Year 2525

3m 19s

GJ-2Sh8XAAAECOK

Well, there is this. Although it is quite far into the future plus I'm not necessarily recommending that you listen to it. It's not exactly an uplifting song, lol. Very dystopian, quite bleak. But that's the 1960's for you! It wasn't all love and peace, maaan! :ROFLMAO:

Zager & Evans / In The Year 2525

3m 19s

Sad prognosis... Surprisingly, what they planned for 6565 is already there now 😯😯😯😯

KAPUTT kaput⁴ l. (numera bl. i bet. I 1, II 1, men dÀr numera alltid) KAPOTT kapot⁴, sbst.², r. l. m. l. adj. l. adv.; ss. sbst. (i bet. I 1) best. -en; pl. -er; ss. adj. nÀstan bl. obâjl. o. predikativt.

[liksom d. kaput, adj., holl. kapot, adj., t. kaputt, adj., eng. capot, sbst. (i bet.
I), av fr. capot, sbst. o. adj., av ovisst urspr., mΓΆjl. (med utgΓ₯ngspunkt i fr. faire capot (jfr KAPOTTERA), prov. faire cabot, kantra, eg.: stΓ€lla pΓ₯ huvudet) till prov. cap, huvud (se KAP, sbst.ΒΉ), l. till nordfr. dial. capoter, motsvarande fr. chapoter, kastrera, ombildn. av chaponner, gΓΆra till kapun, till chapon (se KAPUN)]

(capot, i bet. I 1, II 1 1739β€”1849. kapott (cap-), i bet. I 1, II 1 1805β€”1913, i bet. II 2 1805β€”1850. kappart, i bet. II 2 1670. kaput (cap-), i bet. I 1, 2 1656β€”1734, i bet. II 2 1714β€”1918. kaputt, i bet. I 2 1848, i bet. II 2 1826 osv.)
I. sbst.
1) spelt. i pikΓ©spel: det fΓΆrhΓ₯llande att den ene av de bΓ₯da spelarna icke erhΓ₯ller ngt enda stick (o. motstΓ₯ndaren alltsΓ₯ tar hem alla tolv sticken); fΓΆrr Γ€v. om motsv. fΓΆrhΓ₯llande i vissa andra kortspel. GΓΆra kapott. SᴇʀᴇɴΙͺᴜs (1734; under capot). […]
2) bildl.
a) (†) i uttr. spela kaputt med ngn, gΓΆra slut pΓ₯ (ngn), i grund besegra (ngn). Man (hoppas) medh Gudz hielp, at snart skal wara medh them (dvs. med ryssarna) caput spelat. NAv. 18/9 1656, nr 2, Bil. 2, s. 4.

"Kaput originated with a card game called piquet that has been popular in France for centuries. French players originally used the term capot to describe both big winners and big losers in piquet. To win all twelve tricks in a hand was called "faire capot" ("to make capot"), but to lose them all was known as "Γͺtre capot" ("to be capot"). German speakers adopted capot, but respelled it kaputt, and used it only for losers. When English speakers borrowed the word from German, they started using kaput for things that were broken, useless, or destroyed."

"Kaput originated with a card game called piquet that has been popular in France for centuries. French players originally used the term capot to describe both big winners and big losers in piquet. To win all twelve tricks in a hand was called "faire capot" ("to make capot"), but to lose them all was known as "Γͺtre capot" ("to be capot"). German speakers adopted capot, but respelled it kaputt, and used it only for losers. When English speakers borrowed the word from German, they started using kaput for things that were broken, useless, or destroyed."
That is pretty much what I put under definition I1 above.

That is pretty much what I put under definition I1 above.
Yes, but it wasn't in English - the bit I looked at - and I'm too tired for Google Translate shenanigans. I am tired. And it told me stuff I did not know.

I knew you would do this but I posted anyway. πŸ™„

I am a witch.

(capot, i bet. I 1, II 1 1739β€”1849. kapott (cap-), i bet. I 1, II 1 1805β€”1913, i bet. II 2 1805β€”1850. kappart, i bet. II 2 1670. kaput (cap-), i bet. I 1, 2 1656β€”1734, i bet. II 2 1714β€”1918. kaputt, i bet. I 2 1848, i bet. II 2 1826 osv.)
I. sbst.
1) spelt. i pikΓ©spel: det fΓΆrhΓ₯llande att den ene av de bΓ₯da spelarna icke erhΓ₯ller ngt enda stick (o. motstΓ₯ndaren alltsΓ₯ tar hem alla tolv sticken); fΓΆrr Γ€v. om motsv. fΓΆrhΓ₯llande i vissa andra kortspel. GΓΆra kapott. SᴇʀᴇɴΙͺᴜs (1734; under capot). […]
2) bildl.
a) (†) i uttr. spela kaputt med ngn, gΓΆra slut pΓ₯ (ngn), i grund besegra (ngn). Man (hoppas) medh Gudz hielp, at snart skal wara medh them (dvs. med ryssarna) caput spelat. NAv. 18/9 1656, nr 2, Bil. 2, s. 4.
I. sbst.
2) bildl.
Again it's clear that nothing is clearπŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜…

Thanks for the explanation, now I get it. So agonum's posts were rather intriguing, and more like a cipherπŸ˜… but I guess that's just for meπŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

Yes, but it wasn't in English - the bit I looked at - and I'm too tired for Google Translate shenanigans. I am tired. And it told me stuff I did not know.

I knew you would do this but I posted anyway. πŸ™„

I am a witch.
Oh, I didn’t mean to criticize; it was merely a notice. Your post not only gives the etymology in English, but also is more detailed than what was in my post. Excuse my ambiguity.

Do I sense a space theme in the thread? Have we already given up on the robots? And how about the trains?

Thanks for the explanation, now I get it. So agonum's posts were rather intriguing, and more like a cipherπŸ˜… but I guess that's just for meπŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€
”A cipher”! πŸ˜…

Well, to be fair, I was posting in Swedish, and I do see how that might not be appreciated. At the same time, I cannot help but be fascinated by how languages are connected, and I guess a purpose of these possibly unappreciated posts of mine is for them to garner enough interest to merit a reply, which might highlight such connections. Or other types of connections, by all means!

Where is this?
oh fgs!

Well, the tweetX is @OrkneyUncovered so I think we can safely assume the Italian chapel is in Orkney. Using Google, I find this story. Which is quite dramatic and not at all what I was expecting. If I was a gambling person I would put money on you finding this little tale quite interesting.

Back