The Estate & Sony should release HQ concerts and short films on home media & digital prior to the the biopic theatrical release on April 18th 2025!!!

I think the early ones like Rock With You were shot on videotape
The OTW ones (Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough, Rock With You and She's Out Of My Life) are videotape, yes.

Also unlike maybe a popular movie, music video compilations are not really as much of a seller today like in the VHS days. DVDs still outsell blu-ray & 4K discs put together. So the expense of scanning videos is generally not worth it to companies, even if the original footage was not thrown away. Some of the officially uploaded videos that are on Youtube as HD or 4K are really upscales.
They could just upgrade the YT / streaming versions and/or revamp Vision to a BluRay boxset.

The thing with special effects, if they are done over would they try to duplicate the original effects or update them to a more current look like they did with the 1960s Star Trek show. Either way it won't be the same video. I think the early ones like Rock With You were shot on videotape, so not much can be done with those. Also unlike maybe a popular movie, music video compilations are not really as much of a seller today like in the VHS days. DVDs still outsell blu-ray & 4K discs put together. So the expense of scanning videos is generally not worth it to companies, even if the original footage was not thrown away. Some of the officially uploaded videos that are on Youtube as HD or 4K are really upscales.
They can release the new 4K scanned videos on DVD too. The difference could be seen also in SD quality.

That's really not something I'm concerned by, other than the estate being too lazy/cheap to do it (likely) there's really no reason it can't be done.
I promise you I can find me some VFX artist on social media that would be able to perfectly replicate the effects and would probably do it for peanuts.

Hyperbole aside, that’s one of the most dangerous combinations if you ask me. Being lazy and/or cheap haha.

It would be really great, new transfers of his short films should really be the number one priority in order to preserve his legacy I think, the current YouTube videos we have look awful.
Hope the Thriller and Beat It 4K transfers are a sample of what's to come in the near future without having to wait for anniversary editions of each album
They should do what the Beatles do with their anniversary albums to make it better.

Do you think they are able to convert them to 4K mate? The Beat It and Thriller restorations are great to be fair

Long time no see by the way my friend, hope you're well
I hope so! I understand the difficulties MJ’s videos pose over other artists of his era, but after seeing the “Beat It” and “Thriller” restorations, I’m convinced that everything he’s done needs to be delivered in the best possible quality.

And thank you, my friend! It’s been a while. Sending you the very best 🙏🏻

I can see them remastering certain footage based on the narrative. Perhaps that footage will end up in the film or else released on the side. Would be cool to see.

The fact that we even have to have this discussion is absurd!!! It's Michael Jackson, the most significant video artist and (at least) one of the most important performers of all times and we're arguing over whether they will restore and/or upgrade his videos. It's absurd, does the Estate not realise the importance of his heritage??? Surely with the profit they have made from their huge sales in the last years they should be able to finance this. They are jeopardizing his legacy with the risk of the videos deteriorating even more or eventually just getting lost.

When/if they decide to remaster the films, it would only make sense to release them on Bluray. Yes I know DVDs sell more (cheaper), but they are limited in quality and dated. The entire point of a remaster is to get the best quality out of the source. If you want the short films in SD just buy the vision DVD lol.

When/if they decide to remaster the films, it would only make sense to release them on Bluray. Yes I know DVDs sell more (cheaper), but they are limited in quality and dated. The entire point of a remaster is to get the best quality out of the source. If you want the short films in SD just buy the vision DVD lol.
Yeah, Blu-Ray is the only thing they're doing. DVD is not nearly as relevant anymore as some would have you believe.

They'll favor Digital and High Definition Physical Media. And if they did re-release Vision and even the prior video comps, that'd make sense too.

LOL

That's not the only reason. Way more stuff is released on DVD than the other formats. More TV shows are on DVD than blu-ray, plus other stuff like exercise videos, cooking, documentaries, sports, church services, public domain, obscure movies, concerts, Time-Life DVD sets sold on infomercials, etc. Things that will never get a blu-ray release. Also the average person does not care about audio/video quality. That's why MP3s started the decline of CD sales. Some bought cheap bootlegs of current movies in theaters, that still happens today. They're called "street DVDs" where I live. Most are not audiophiles who spend thousands of dollars on a turntable. They buy a cheap Crosley from Walmart & Amazon. With DVDs many people still own a DVD only player. DVD only players are also still sold at Walmart for around $25. One reason blu-ray never really caught on with the general public because it came out around the same time streaming did, and the majority of people went for streaming with Netflix and later others like Disney+. The same way most people stream music now. They don't even put CD/cassette players as a default in new cars anymore.

what they should do in my opinion is try to launch a streaming platform, exclusively about MJ and MJ related things. Imagine what they can put on there. We have all the different documentaries and concerts that can be put there. Then we also have remastered music videos that can also be put on there. We have things such as Captain Eo(which is a bit tricky), Ghosts that could also be released there. I have this idea of sorting everything through eras which would make it a lot easier to follow. Any pro MJ documentary should also be put on there.
A real comprehensive list of his art in a streaming service would be amazing.

Yeah, Blu-Ray is the only thing they're doing. DVD is not nearly as relevant anymore as some would have you believe.
I think another reason the companies hurt the adoption of the post DVD formats, was continuing to release DVD/blu-ray/digital combo packs. People saw that the DVD only version was a bit cheaper, and they didn't need multiple discs of the same thing. The combo packs are part of DVD sales too. When DVDs first came out, there were no movies of VHS & DVD packaged together. A lot of people do not watch movies/TV shows multiple times, which is another plus for streaming.

I think another reason the companies hurt the adoption of the post DVD formats, was continuing to release DVD/blu-ray/digital combo packs. People saw that the DVD only version was a bit cheaper, and they didn't need multiple discs of the same thing. The combo packs are part of DVD sales too. When DVDs first came out, there were no movies of VHS & DVD packaged together. A lot of people do not watch movies/TV shows multiple times, which is another plus for streaming.
My family always bought the combo. We wanted Blu-Ray and we went all in. We've had about 5 of those BR Players, from early on to later in the years before streaming took over. There's literally two sitting in front of me right now. Just my anecdote.

Absolutely after release biopic in next year , Michael music and videoes back at top of charts , in this time estate make new musical shows and many tribute performances ... . Only thing estate maybe do , is release the "HIStory 30 (the cancelled HIStory 25 in 2020) and new 4k videos ... .

Lmao......wtf yes we did/do!
I said "a lot of people", not "everybody" or "most". That has always been the case. The younger generations are less likely to collect stuff than the earlier generations anyway. That's why streaming is popular. Streaming is how Drake has more hits on the Hot 100 than anyone else and Taylor Swift can have the entire Top 10. It wasn't because people bought their 45 singles. Streaming allows every song on an album to chart at the same time. Now they even count a certain amount of streams as a sale of a physical album.

With home video, it didn't exist before the 1980s. Maybe the late 1970s for a small percentage of people. So they couldn't have bought movies to watch at home. Some really popular movies got re-released to theaters. That's how Gone With The Wind made a lot of its money, not from the original release. Disney did that too. When the VCR first came out, pre-recorded movies were expensive, like $100 for 1 tape. Which is how rental places like Blockbuster were popular. Or people bought blank tapes to record stuff from TV/cable.

I said "a lot of people", not "everybody" or "most". That has always been the case. The younger generations are less likely to collect stuff than the earlier generations anyway. That's why streaming is popular. Streaming is how Drake has more hits on the Hot 100 than anyone else and Taylor Swift can have the entire Top 10. It wasn't because people bought their 45 singles. Streaming allows every song on an album to chart at the same time. Now they even count a certain amount of streams as a sale of a physical album.

With home video, it didn't exist before the 1980s. Maybe the late 1970s for a small percentage of people. So they couldn't have bought movies to watch at home. Some really popular movies got re-released to theaters. That's how Gone With The Wind made a lot of its money, not from the original release. Disney did that too. When the VCR first came out, pre-recorded movies were expensive, like $100 for 1 tape. Which is how rental places like Blockbuster were popular. Or people bought blank tapes to record stuff from TV/cable.
I ms these days so much!

Back