Michael Jackson Album Sales After Death: An In-Depth Look

Such a shame that when a singer dies, people going to buy his records, but when he was still alive, the people who haven't got his cd, bought his cd to what? Remember him, or just adore him because he was good person afterall?

I think many discovered his songs when they started to play it on the radio again.If you don´t hear it on the radio and if your parents or friends don´t play his music, how would you know about his great music?
This is it was big news and I´m sure some people where curious, went to youtube to see him, wanted to buy his albums but had to wait for the salary in the end of the month and he died before.
I believe his albums had sold better than before even if he was alive, but not as good as now.
If everyone had bought his albums when they were released, who should buy them later?

the essential michael jackson is num 96 on the itunes albums charts and the thriller is num 38 on itunes music videos charts

Don't know if anyone posted it.,but since it's very very important for Michael Jackson's legacy I post it here.......
Everyone please click this link and vote: And Please pass the message.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Music/07/28/icon.music.vote/

"CNN's new arts and culture show "icon," in conjunction with music magazine "Songlines," has shortlisted 20 globally renowned musicians from the past 50 years. Vote for your favorite artists and we'll reveal the top five in "icon's" interactive gallery at cnn.com/icon when our music show airs on August 25."

Don't know if anyone posted it.,but since it's very very important for Michael Jackson's legacy I post it here.......
Everyone please click this link and vote: And Please pass the message.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Music/07/28/icon.music.vote/

"CNN's new arts and culture show "icon," in conjunction with music magazine "Songlines," has shortlisted 20 globally renowned musicians from the past 50 years. Vote for your favorite artists and we'll reveal the top five in "icon's" interactive gallery at cnn.com/icon when our music show airs on August 25."

There is already a thread here :
http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94927
:cheeky:

Billboard 200
#93 (86) Number Ones
#142 (155) The Essential Michael Jackson
#165 (175) Thriller

Top Catalog Albums
#3 (4) Number Ones
#14 (14) The Essential Michael Jackson
#21 (19) Thriller

Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums
#38 (35) Michael Jackson's This Is It

Top Soundtracks
#15 (15) Michael Jackson's This Is It

someone stated that the numver ones album has now sold 11 million copies world wide

uk charts
the essential michael Jackson in num 100 on itunes album charts and its also num 22 on the R&B album charts spending 105 weeks on the charts

Last edited:
hey smooth do you know how much the essentail michael jackson and this is it album sold world wide as of now?

^Yep. Essential has officially sold 8 million copies globally with 10 million shipped. This Is It has sold 5.5 million copies with 7.5 million shipped.

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

I have The Thriller 25 Anniversary Vynil, the CD and Thriller Special Edition. Does all these albums count for the 100 million something copies that hadd sold worldwide? Or are those separated?

Thank you!

^ As i've posted here before. Thriller has sold 69.8 million copies as of right now and will pass the 70 million mark by Halloween. This is Thriller album sales only. Technically this is the real number.

^ technically yes if you wish to count sales that way. 8 million ALBUM sales, 16 miliion UNIT sales.

The point with the units is clear!!!

Essential is one of the biggest selling albums of the new millenium, and its MJs best seller since 2000... right? 16 million units.... :2cents:

Most people don't believe that 12 million figure. But I have strong faith in it. There are some that say it sold 7 million to date. Because it sold 5.2 million in the first two months of its release. Its been almost a decade since the release of that album. I find it hard to believe it only sold about 2.5 million since then. Especially after his death.

12 million sounds like a very reasonable number. Look at Global Track Chart. They claim Invincible sold 7 million. But they only go off 10 markets. MJ is strong in all markets. So its safe to say Invincible sold 12 million.

Last edited:
someone on the KOP board said the number ones albums sold 11 million copies worldwide now, i remember in 2005 the interview mj did with geraldo mention this album and said it sold 7 million world wide at the time

^ Yes, Number Ones has sold 11.4 million copies globally as of the end of July according to my data from Sony with 14 million shipped.

It would be better to set up the list of the album sales and dont ask for every album... imo.
anyway, I dont believe that Invincible has more than 10 mill. sold "pieces"...

Last edited:
^ Indeed it has. It sold over 1 million albums globally alone in 2009. The album has been out for almost 10 years now and sold 8 million copies by the end of 2002. I don't understand how it's not possible.

One thing I found interesting Smoothcriminal05, is that you stated in a previous post that Elvis outsold MJ, but not by much.

I was always under the impression that MJ had outsold Elvis. The Beatles we know for a fact have far outsold MJ and Elvis.

The majority of Elvis's sales are in the US, which does not say much. Most of MJ's sales on the other hand are abroad. In fact, MJ was the first American artist certified for selling more than 100 million albums abroad. The problem with the Beatles and Elvis are that the sources and information surrounding their sales are poor and incomplete. A lot of the numbers were also purely fabricated to generate interest. What we know FOR SURE is that either the Beatles, MJ, or Elvis is the greatest selling act of all time, but we don't know which one it is exactly. The thing that's important to realize here is that numbers for MJ are much more solid and documented whereas those for Elvis are up to wild speculation and sometimes downright fabrication. This is because Elvis lived at a time when people weren't quite so obsessed with numbers as they are now. During Elvis' peak, not all the markets were opened like they are now. And thats also due to MJ and the Beatles. The Beatles boosted sales in already established markets like the US, UK, Australia, Etc. While MJ opened up basically every other sales market with Thriller. But just look at world charts and I honestly can't see Elvis possibly have sold anything over 400 million; the figures just don't add up. He doesn't have any albums in the top of....anything. He's sold many albums (second most all time in the United States), but that's because he produced so many as well. Singles sales were bigger back then, and those are the ones that have been puffed up, to say the least.

But I think you were talking about units when you mentioned Elvis' sales.

But going back to the whole MJ V.S. Elvis thing. For as long as I can remember(since the late 80s), MJ has been said to have been the top record seller ever. Solo artist of coarse. Like he was given a plaque for it, Guinness World records claimed it, The world music awards claimed it, and even in the HIStory booklet it was claimed.

I just don't see how Elvis outsold MJ, when MJ opened up all these markets and had all these blockbuster albums. Where during his peak, there were very few markets available. Even during his death, Elvis sold many records, but not as much as Mj did when he died.

^Exactly, thats Ive been arguing with all the time....

At least, knowing that Essential (x2), Invincible, Number ones ... are close to 10 mill. each, and these albums were not meant to be so successful... at least these figures are the proof that Michael has outsold Elvis... with any of his albums.... (btw, which of Elvis´ albums is his best seller?)

But again, there is still missing any official confirmation from Sony about MJs albums sales, and certificated=officially declared album sales for the best sellers from RIAA, Nielsen or whatever - MJ, Elvis, Beatles, Madonna, Rolling Stones, Elton, Richard... - not estimations! That means nothing.

Last edited:
^^To the best of my knowledge, Elvis' biggest selling album is a greatest hits album that sold around 15 million.

Elvis has a MASSIVE catalog, which is why he is one of the top 3 sellers of all time. But I still doubt he sold more than MJ. thats just a gut feeling.

Last edited:
You mean Number Ones from 2004 or so?

His average album sales is around 5 mill. which is totally poor and its clearly shows the pathetic overrated status of Elvis.

No. Im talking about Elvis' highest selling album sold 15 million. It was a greatest hits album from 2001 I think. Called Elvis 30.

But yea Elvis' average sales are low. But MJ sells on average about 30 million per album.

Back