Court rules R. Kelly plagiarized MJ's "You Are Not Alone"

Yep, Michael's vocals were a killer in this song. When he opens with, "...another day is gone....I'm still all alone", I just get losted in this song.

He did it so beautifully and he is the reason the song did so well.

Yep, Michael's vocals were a killer in this song. When he opens with, "...another day is gone....I'm still all alone", I just get losted in this song.

He did it so beautifully and he is the reason the song did so well.

i do agree with you about the real reason for the song being a hit. i mean..there isn't a song by MJ whose vocal didn't make the song a hit if he didn't write it. honestly there is a song by someone else, who shall remain nameless, that i don't like..that is complicated..but MJ's vocal is the reason why i was willing to listen to it, and love it...once. and that song is a whole lot worse than you are not alone..though i like you are not alone...

and the guy who wrote this song is still arrogantly living off the fumes of it. lol

okay, listened to the song, its most definetly a rip off!

Shame on R; kelly!

The song WAS a number one hit! And it was Michael's last number one hit. And I believe that he will have more number hits in the future.

how about 'I Believe I Can Fly', then? It's so similar to 'YANA'.... btw since 'YANA' I've heard so many its 'clones' all around the world, even in Poland lol...

all r.kelly songs sound pretty much the same so if he ripped yana off i ripped all his others off aswell LOL i very much doubt this was intentional. its not like kelly doesnt have a track record as a songwriter. there only so many melodies notes that exsist and some songs will end up sounding like others.anyway as others said its wayyyy old news

Last edited:
i can promise..if anything else comes out that sounds like it, by anyone else, other than Michael..there will be no pursuit of a suit. case and point...as i mentioned above..there's one out, now. and the last time i heard it, the dj praised it as a beautiful love song..as if it was original and wasn't copied by anyone.

indeed..music theorists are just that...theorists..which means..they could be wrong as much as they could be right.

Last edited:
ALTF said:
The song WAS a number one hit! And it was Michael's last number one hit.
No; Jackson had many (multi-month) #1 hits worldwide after YANA in 1990s and 2000s. Just taking single country (even as big as being behind only EU) has not much to do with anything.

Last edited:
No; Jackson had many (multi-month) #1 hits worldwide after YANA in 1990s and 2000s. Just taking single country (even as big as being behind only EU) has not much to do with anything.

YANA was Michael's last number one singel in the US. That is a fact.

LOL!

Michael continued to have number-one hits, it just was outside America, as already stated. ;)

I actually prefer "Earth Song" over YANA. :lol:

well t 25 is number 1 in the usa right now..and i ain't worried about the particulars, since it's scarier to buy an album than it is to buy a single..lol

and there are several new tunes on that one..and one complete originally new tune.:punk: and, again, i ain't worried about the particulars..cus..it's still new...no matter what angle we look at it, by.

and yet it's classic. best of all three worlds.

Last edited:
It's sad to know it is plagiarized, yet somehow, it doesn't affect me that much. Like someone said before, it's Michael's vocals that kill me in this song, he sings it TOO beautifully :heart: And the lyrics are gorgeous

LOL!

Michael continued to have number-one hits, it just was outside America, as already stated. ;)

I actually prefer "Earth Song" over YANA. :lol:

well , I prefer almost every other ballad over 'YANA';)
:lol:

I have always believed that R Kelly should have given Michael the song "Step in the name of love". That song fits Michael.

http://www.mediatakeout.com/23047/s...hael_jacksons_hit_song_you_are_not_alone.html
Q
A Belgium court has ruled that R. Kelly stole the music from Michael's 1995 hit "You Are Not Alone". Kelly must fork over millions that he made as a result of this court ruling. This was Jackson's last number one song in the USA. The court ruling doesn't affect Jackson in any way as R.Kelly was always listed as the sole writer of the song.
It can't be true because r.kelly wrote that song for Michael,so please make it make sense

He wrote the song for Michael by ripping off another tune.

Hear me out, but I don’t think he intentionally plagiarized YANA. It’s possible he heard the song in an elevator, and later subconsciously recalled that melody when he was writing, not realizing he plagiarized. This has happened and is sometimes called accidental plagiarism in the music industry. Darkchild has also done this before but with their own songs- if you don’t believe me, compare Chante Moore’s “If I Gave Love” to Jlo’s “If You Had My Love.” Happens all the time.

Hear me out, but I don’t think he intentionally plagiarized YANA. It’s possible he heard the song in an elevator, and later subconsciously recalled that melody when he was writing, not realizing he plagiarized. This has happened and is sometimes called accidental plagiarism in the music industry. Darkchild has also done this before but with their own songs- if you don’t believe me, compare Chante Moore’s “If I Gave Love” to Jlo’s “If You Had My Love.” Happens all the time.
That was no accident. Puff Daddy (aka P. Diddy aka Brother Love) heard Chanté's song and wanted it for his then girlfriend Jennifer Lopez. So he hired Darkchild to record it with her. Since J. Lo was a bigger star than Chanté, she got the bigger promotion to become a pop hit. Chanté mostly got R&B airplay, but she did have 1 Top 10 song on the Top 40. Chanté has spoken in the past about being upset with the J. Lo/Puffy/Darkchild situation.

That was no accident. Puff Daddy (aka P. Diddy aka Brother Love) heard Chanté's song and wanted it for his then girlfriend Jennifer Lopez. So he hired Darkchild to record it with her. Since J. Lo was a bigger star than Chanté, she got the bigger promotion to become a pop hit. Chanté mostly got R&B airplay, but she did have 1 Top 10 song on the Top 40. Chanté has spoken in the past about being upset with the situation.
Oh wow, I had no idea. Interesting in the context of all of P. Diddy’s recent controversies. For what it’s worth, Chante’s version is so much better than Jlo’s.

What's the song it plagerised it from, and why come out now and not back then?

Back