Bless His Soul is Michael’s most foreboding song

filmandmusic

Proud Member
“I try to do what's right for me
But no one sees the way I see”

He touched upon this during again during the song Childhood and in several interviews. It was a common theme during his interviews in fact.

Then his brothers warn Michael about it

“Something's soon to come over you
You just can't please the world and yourself”

But then they give him advice which he took too literally which ultimately lead to the start of his demise in 1993

“You gotta start doing what's right for you
'Cause life is being happy yourself”

Then after the chorus there is verse 2 which is Michael lamenting his life again like he did in verse 1

Then there is the big game changer namely the bridge, this one is very foreboding

“The life you're leading is dangerous
It's so dangerous, dangerous
The life you're leading is dangerous
Doggone dangerous, dangerous, dangerous”

Is this his family warning Michael that bad things will happen? What if Michael wrote all these lyrics but still fell into the spider web of the media? Maybe Michael knew all along but he was unable to change course or he just accepted his faith that his name would be abused till and long after his death?

While Michael often appeared joyous and happy in his music there are a lot of lyrics that have a sense of sadness and self destruction imo.

This is a really interesting topic, we need more threads like this

I've never looked at it, as in detail as you have here, but I think you're onto something mate. When you look through the lyrics it's clear Michael is talking about himself from his own point of view, which is interesting given his age and his sadness really. Its heartbreaking when you see how things turned out

I've always thought that the Destiny album has some of his most poignant and thought provoking lyrics, as much as it's painted as a disco record, there's a lot of sorrow and self reflection in there.

It's the same message in Janet's You.

"Tryin' to please everyone
Sacrifice your own needs
Check in the mirror, my friend
No lies will be told then
Pointin' the finger again
You can't blame nobody but you"

I like this song a lot, it does indeed feel eerie listening to it when you think about MJ and his life.

Songs like Bless His Soul, That’s What You Get For Being Polite and Things I Do For You are some of Michael’s most personal songs. I find it annoying that many people think that Michael never did any personal or autobiographical songs before History. They need to listen to the Destiny album.

There were other good moments of authenticity on The Jackson's, Goin' Places, & Triumph too.

I always felt It's The Falling in Love was incredibly relatable to MJ, even if he didn't write it. He embodied that the most in his romantic life I think.

The Man also encapsulates Michael's life well too.

Back