Your tour favorite (battles)?

filmandmusic

Proud Member
I tried to get the battles as hard as possible. I know the bad tour is a fan favorite so it is useless putting it against the hated Victory or HIStory tours

Destiny tour vs Victory tour
Bad tour vs Triumph Tour
Dangerous tour vs HIStory tour
Early 70s Motown tours vs Mid 70s Motown tours

As an encore how would you think the This Is It tour would have been like vs the Destiny, Triumph, Victory, Bad, Dangerous and BIStory tours?

I understand we have basically seen nothing for most of these options bar HIStory and Dangerous tours but just take a pick from what you do know or what you think would be your favorite.

Here are my results:

- Destiny tour vs Victory tour: for me a very hard choice but Michael looked, sounded and danced truly iconic in 1984 but make no mistake I crave the Destiny tour too.
- Bad tour vs Triumph Tour: pretty straightforward pick for me, from the footage I have seen it feels relatively small which I prefer over bombastic big and Michael was absolutely peaking as a live artist, there was also a full band with them on stage which just adds to the atmosphere.
- Dangerous tour vs HIStory tour: very easy pick over the worst tour ever and the dangerous tour is pretty mediocre in itself.
- Early 70s Motown tours vs Mid 70s Motown tours: From the very little we have seen I think I will prefer the early 70s, the fans were crazy loud and Michael was pure vocal perfection. I’m basing this mostly on the Live At The Forum album which is absolutely fantastic. Live stuff from the mid 70s is basically non existent except that one Mexico 1975 concert in a very small venue with zero atmosphere. I also think the band was playing too fast on the uptempo songs on that concert, loved the ballads.

As for the This Is It tour it is very easy for me. I fully expected it to be even worse than HIStory concerts when it was announced and the rehearsal footage pretty much confirms it.

These are my favorite tours from best to worst

1. Dangerous tour - This was personally my favorite tour, I feel like this tour was when Michael’s star power was revealed and when he proved himself to be the greatest performer of all time. The setlist was amazing, just wish they added a bit more songs in it as well.
  2. Bad tour - Obviously, lots of people say this was the best tour MJ ever did, I love this tour as well but I just love Dangerous the most. This is when the he showed that he wasn’t the little kid from the Jackson 5 anymore, he was now Michael Jackson the King of Pop.
  3. Destiny tour - This was a great tour for the Jackson’s entering adulthood, and Michaels transition to being more of a single frontman. It’s also the tour Michael started putting his personal choreo as his one of his top prioritie.
  4. History tour - Lots of people absolutely hate this tour, I don’t think it was that bad. It was kinda laid back then his past tours had been, and the set list wasn’t as good as I had liked it to be. But I think over all it was a decent tour and it certainly got a huge following.
  5. Victory tour - This is I think the most hated tour that MJ has done, this tour definitely had ups and downs. On the upside, it promoted Michaels new choreo and Thriller while he received his eight Grammys in one night, he was doing pretty well at the time before his hair caught on fire. On the down side it wasn’t as sick as a genuine Thriller tour would’ve been, Michael wasn’t happy about the tour just as much as everyone else. And the famous hair burn accident on the Pepsi commercial goes without saying.
  6. Triumph tour - I really don’t get the point of this tour. It was the quickest tour and it was literally the exact same thing as the Destiny tour.

I tried to get the battles as hard as possible. I know the bad tour is a fan favorite so it is useless putting it against the hated Victory or HIStory tours

Destiny tour vs Victory tour
Bad tour vs Triumph Tour
Dangerous tour vs HIStory tour
Early 70s Motown tours vs Mid 70s Motown tours

As an encore how would you think the This Is It tour would have been like vs the Destiny, Triumph, Victory, Bad, Dangerous and BIStory tours?

I understand we have basically seen nothing for most of these options bar HIStory and Dangerous tours but just take a pick from what you do know or what you think would be your favorite.
destiny’ tour vs ‘victory’ tour - though I have a like/dislike relationship with this tour, i find myself rewatching moments from it every once in awhile. I think the rawness and drama of it, somehow makes it that more interesting. it’s the closest I’ll ever get to a ‘thriller’ tour. I like the bedazzled nature of michael’s costumes, and his dancing (the glides in particular). unlike most fans, I think the set list was the best thing the tour had going for it. minus the absence of ‘thriller’ (which was actually for the best), the highlights of what was done up until that point were wisely selected. I’m glad that michael let go of ‘ben’, since he had long outgrown it. there was very little filler for me.

I loved the crowd reaction to ‘show you the way to go’ on the ‘destiny’ tour. although it was great that the jacksons performed in my hometown, I think the first leg was too stripped down for my tastes. the second leg was far more interesting to me. based on what was shown during the sylvia chase interview, and amateur footage. it had the inclusion of the ‘off the wall’ hits, as they were currently on the charts. if I’m not mistaken, it was also the debut of the single sparkly glove.

bad’ tour vs ‘triumph’ tour - most of the songs were sang in their original key, which means a lot to me. despite huskiness of ‘can you feel it’, the live album captured peak form vocals (even if some of them were re-recorded).
would have definitely preferred a solo tour though..

early 70s motown tours vs mid 70s tours - although I prefer the material of the early 70s, I think the mid 70s is when michael the dancer was born. starting with the robot during ‘dancing machine’. he would soon develop his own set of disco moves that would define his style during that era. before that he was great at imitating james brown, but this was another level.

however, it was also awkward because of the vocal transition, and what i felt was weaker material.

this was fun 🤩 💜
thanks for making this thread💜

Back