WTF !! the confederate flag being displayed

MJJChichi

Proud Member
Why is this accepted and allowed to fly above a state capital building ?? What is the argument that keeps it waving proudly ?? Any justification for it being there, has got to be the largest pile of donkey shit, with the stench of straight up ignorance rising from it.

Why are more people not speaking out about this flagrent violation of human decency ?? It should not be flying high over a government building... a government that fought against what the flag represents and WON !!

ColumbiaSC061007_20070610_2484.jpg

ColumbiaSC061007_20070610_2504.jpg

ColumbiaSC061007_20070610_2499.jpg

IN 1962 the Confederate battle flag was placed on top of the South Carolina statehouse by vote of the all-white legislature. While other Southern states removed the flag from their statehouses, South Carolina refused to follow suit. This prompted the NAACP to organize a national economic boycott against South Carolina's $14 billion-a-year tourism industry, and since the summer of 1999, more than 100 conventions and business organizations have participated in the boycott. The boycott is considered one of the largest since the 1970s. The NAACP's president, Kweisi Mfume, said of the boycott, "this is a trigger you don't want to pull until all else has failed. In the case of South Carolina, after 38 years of negotiating even the NAACP has a limit to its patience."
Inflammatory remarks by state senator Arthur Ravenel made national headlines in Jan. 2000 when he defended the flying of the Southern Cross, referring to the NAACP as the "the National Association of Retarded People." He then apologized to "retarded people" for associating them with the NAACP. At the time of the the February Republican presidential primary, party differences on the issue were thrown in sharp relief: the Republican contenders declined to take a stand except to say that the issue was a state matter; the Democrats were outspokenly against the flag remaining.
On April 12, 2000, the South Carolina state senate finally passed a bill to remove the flag by a majority of 36-7. The bill specified that a more traditional version of the battle flag (square shaped as opposed to the rectangular flag now flying above the statehouse) would be flown in front of the Capitol next to a monument honoring fallen Confederate soldiers. The bill then went to the House, where it encountered some difficulty. But on May 18, 2000, after the bill was modified to ensure that the height of the flag's new pole would be 30 feet, it was passed by a majority of 66 to 43, and Governor Jim Hodges signed the bill five days later. On July 1, the flag was removed from the South Carolina statehouse.
The bill has not appeased everyone, however: the NAACP has not called off its boycott because they feel that the flag's new position on the Capitol lawn is still too prominent.
http://www.factmonster.com/spot/confederate4.html

HA! Where u been? I grew up in Georgia with them doing that...

Where is this?

family from SC is visiting and we were talking and the subject came up ... i was like WTF !! Honestly, I did not believe them. Came online to find they are not shitting me :eek:

I am beyond disgusted and want the flag down :ranting:

It is in columbia south carolina at the state building

Man, when I first saw this pic, I thought this was at D.C. *sigh*

I dunno... :giggle:

i think it's pretty common in the south
my friend who lives in the south told me they sell them in stores and stuff. its a part of their history or whatever. i dont agree with it though, neither does my friend.

Educate an ignorant woman here, please tell me what the flag represents and why it's so wrong.

I've seen flags like that in the back of some Ford Pick up Trucks here in Aus and never known what it's actually for. :blush:

cheers in advance :flowers:

Yes I know there is google but it's better to hear it from folks :flowers:

Last edited:
The Confederate flag is one of the most controversial, inflammatory icons of American culture, and even has a significant presence abroad. What causes people to feel so strongly about the emblem of a regional entity that ceased to exist over 130 years ago? What relevance does such a symbol have in our society today? What insight into our culture can we gain by examining an icon such as the Confederate Flag?

The Confederate flag still flies high above the South Carolina Statehouse, and it has sparked an enormous amount of debate. The flag was placed above the State House in 1962 as a response to the Civil Rights movement. Blacks in South Carolina see the flag as a symbol of racism and slavery. Many Southern whites see the flag as a symbol of their proud, distinctive heritage and the gentility of the Old South. In November of 1996, Governor David Beasley delivered a televised speech to the state saying he thought the flag should be taken down. Beasley had been elected as a pro-Confederate flag candidate and strong ally of the Christian coalition. Beasley claimed that he had had a religious experience in which he concluded that the symbol had come to be the cause of too much strife, saying that the, "plowshare has been turned into a sword." Beasley's argument was not that the flag was hurting business (although that could be somewhere behind his argument), but one of Semiotics.

Beasley: The Confederate flag flying above the Statehouse flies in a vacuum. Its meaning and purpose are not defined by law. Because of this, any group can give the flag any meaning it chooses. The Klan can misuse it as a racist tool, as it has, and others can misuse it solely as a symbol for racism, as they have.
Beasley asserted the basic premise of Semiotics that signs and symbols have no intrinsic value but only carry that value which is assigned to them by people. Many of Beasley's fellow Republican party members like State Attorney General Charles Condon are opposed taking the flag down. Condon and other flag supporters like State Senator Glenn McConnell point to a monument on the Statehouse grounds for a definition of the flag. In the words of McConnell, the monument reads: "in the hopelessness of the hospitals, the despair of defeat, and the short sharp agony of struggle, the South Carolinians who answered the call of their state did so in the consolation of the belief that here at home, they would not be forgotten." Charles Condon says that he and the Governor both the believe the flag is a symbol of honor and does not understand the Governor's initiative to take the flag down. Religious groups have gotten involved as well, wrestling with the question of which side of the issue is morally right. Public opinion in South Carolina seems to be with keeping the flag right where it is. Many political experts in South Carolina and even those who know very little about politics expect the flag issue to hurt Beasley in his reelection campaign in 1998. Since the Democratic party wields very little political clout right now in South Carolina, Beasley's only real competition will come from his own party. Thus, the Confederate flag is fast becoming the most important issue in the race for Governor.
sthouse.gif
Controversies of the sort, though perhaps not of this scale, are visible all over the South. University of Mississippi football games have become a hotspot for turmoil. Ole Miss, a name with slave connotations in and of itself, is a school rich in Old South tradition. Students traditionally wave Rebel flags at home football games, but recently, some University officials have spoken out against it. The football coach believes that a stadium full of Confederate flags makes it difficult for the University to recruit minority athletes. Professor of civil rights law Barbara Phillip Sullivan feels the flag is a symbol of, "hate speech because its use in the South was a use intended to convey the ideology of white supremacy and the inhumanity and subordination of African-Americans." She believes the flag makes African-Americans feel uwelcome at Ole Miss. The Administration of the University has asked fans not to bring their flags to the games, believing that it castes an unfavorable image on the school. Of course, there are the die hard Ole Miss traditionalists who think it almost a sacrilege to have an Ole Miss football game in Oxford without the Confederate flags waving. History professor David Sansing sums up the situation: "There are at least five or six different groups to whom the flag is very important, but for very, very different reasons. It's one of the most powerful images certainly in American history." Once again, the heart of the argument lies in Semiotics. Controversies have also arisen in Maryland and North Carolina over images of the flag on special liscence plates, and in Georgia and Mississippi over the image of the battle flag within the state flag. Countless other individual skirmishes abound across the South.

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]The banner which we now recognize as the Confederate flag was conceived as a battle flag after the first battle at Mannassas. The original flag, the stars and bars, proved to be too similar to the Union flag for soldiers to recognize in the haze of battle. [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]
stars_bars.gif
[/FONT]

The Stars and Bars​
[/FONT]

The new, easily distinguishable battle flag consisted of a square blue St. Andrew's cross, on a red background. The cross contained 13 stars, one for each of the 11 states that seceded plus one for both Kentucky and Missouri.

confed_battle.gif

The rectangular shaped flag that is most common today is called the Navy Jack flag. Now that we have established the technical origins of the flag, the task is to trace how it has arrived at the status it holds today. The flag was a symbol of the Confederate States of America, the losing party in the Civil War. Volumes upon volumes have been written about the causes of the Civil War, but most historians agree slavery was the one single issue without which the war could have been avoided. The war was not fought over slavery in the South, but slavery in the territories, especially those acquired from Mexicoin 1848. Southerner's feared any kind of government regulation of their "peculiar institution," and saw the outlawing of slavery in the territories as a sure sign that slavery in the South would soon end as well. Southerners became strong advocates of state's rights and sympathized with all those who were persecuted for being different, like the Mormons. Most historians will also agree that the war was not fought over concerns about racial inequality. Abolition was never a widely popular movement, even in the North, in the years leading up to the Civil War. The primary source of anti-slavery sentiment in the North grew from the fact that slavery was incompatible with free labor. If slavery was allowed to exist in the territories, working class white citizens would simply not be able to compete. What wage worker could compete with a slave? Northerners generally wanted the territories to be a place where white people could go to earn an honest living, without the menacing negroes. The South, on the other hand, looked at the "wage slavery" in the North as worse than slavery in the South. Southerner's thought that at least they took care of their slaves even in old age or when they were not able to work. So, at the time of the Civil War, the North and South were generally in agreement on white supremacy.

notreb.jpg
croslit.gif
The issue of race and the Confederate flag is both the simplest and the most important factor in the controversy. Blacks, unlike whites, have a generally unified opinion on the matter. They see the flag as a symbol of a racist past, a past of servitude, slavery, and second-class citizenship for African-Americans, and they have no desire to revel in the so-called glory, bravery, and refinement of such a heritage. Blacks are not apt to have any fond idealistic remembrances of the Old South or harbor any sympathy for the Confederate cause. The fact that the symbol still lingers and has such a prevalent postion in society over 130 years after the Civil War is in and of itself evidence to blacks that racism is alive and well. The flag is the banner of white supremacy groups in the United States, like the Ku Klux Klan, and is even used abroad by neo-nazi skinhead groups. African-American scholar Mwangi Kimenyi offers that, "the Confederate flag is the semi-official symbol that represents the mark of 'old all white' traditions and the exclusionary feelings of whites towards blacks" (52). Blacks see the flag as a marker that "stands in the schoolhouse door," keeping them from having the rights that are theirs as Americans. Whites retaliate with the argument that hate groups like the Ku Klux Klan also misuse symbols like the cross, but that doesn't stop churches from using crosses. Other whites claim First Amendment rights, saying that no matter what the flag symbolizes, the "true friend of liberty realizes we must allow...the Confederate flag," to be flown wherever individuals choose (Larson).
[/FONT]

Last edited:
I'm in Texas and our High School mascot was "The Rebel", a Confederate soldier. It was a mixed school too. It's pretty common in some areas, to the point that no one really cares or says anything about it. There's a store in the mall that sell "stars & bars" belt buckles and the like.

Last edited:
Ah k thanks so much Chichi for my education :flowers:

It all boils down to what was in the last paragraph I guess:

The flag is the banner of white supremacy groups in the United States, like the Ku Klux Klan, and is even used abroad by neo-nazi skinhead groups. African-American scholar Mwangi Kimenyi offers that, "the Confederate flag is the semi-official symbol that represents the mark of 'old all white' traditions and the exclusionary feelings of whites towards blacks" (52). Blacks see the flag as a marker that "stands in the schoolhouse door," keeping them from having the rights that are theirs as Americans

I'm not from the states, but everytime I see this flag somewhere, being on some mans coat or car or whatever, I get angry. It represent all the things that is so far off from my look at the world. It's an ugly flag. A bad combination.

Back