Would *you* push the button?

princessleia

Proud Member
A very interesting article on a very interesting experiment:

http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2010/03/17/a-modern-twist-to-milgrims-shocking-experiment/
March 17, 2010
A modern twist to Milgram's shocking experiment
Posted: 08:07 PM ET

AC360°

Would you shock someone with potentially lethal amounts of electricity simply because you were told to do it? That's exactly what the subjects in Stanley Milgrim's experiments did in the early 1960s. His objective was to test obedience to authority, and the world was surprised to see the results. A majority of ordinary citizens in the test chose to shock an innocent person when they were ordered to by the scientist leading the experiment. The individuals on the receiving end of the powerful shocks were actually actors pretending to suffer, but the subjects believed they were causing the actors real pain throughout the study.

Now, a French documentary has put a modern twist to Milgrim's original work. The film, called "The Game of Death," features players in a fake television game shocking fellow contestants if they answer a question incorrectly. The audience cheers them on, and the actors pretending to be zapped put on a good show. ...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/17/game-of-death-torture-gam_n_502781.html
'Game Of Death': 'Torture' Game Show Stirs Controversy In France
First Posted: 03-17-10 01:37 PM | Updated: 03-17-10 03:06 PM

The TV show, named 'Le jeu de la mort' in French, was part of an experiment that will be aired on French TV tonight.

According to the show's producers, 81% of contestants were persuaded to administer painful electric shocks to a victim, at up to a 420-volt charge.

The audience also encouraged the contestants, shouting "punishment" as further shocks were administered.

The victim screamed when given the shocks and eventually appeared to die.

Both contestants and audience were unaware that the 'victim' was an actor and his screams of pain, and eventual death, fake.

The show is based on a controversial 1961 experiment at Yale University by Stanley Milgram. It will be shown on France 2 TV as part of a documentary about the manipulative power of television.

Christophe Nick, the show's producer, said he was amazed that so many contestants followed the sadistic orders. He said that only 16 out of the 80 contestants refused to administer the electric shocks.
WATCH:

So what do you think?

OMG, We study this in Psychology.

The Stanley Milgrim experiment was designed to see if pressure from society will make people conform and if there is a need to follow orders from authoritative figures even if it goes against our personal conscience.

The way the human mind works is fascinating. Thanks for sharing!

That really is scary to think that a human being can be talked into shocking another...hmmm.. Thanks for the read..:)

The Stanley Milgrim experiment was designed to see if pressure from society will make people conform and if there is a need to follow orders from authoritative figures even if it goes against our personal conscience.

I studied this too for Psychology and remember having to watch videos, and write papers on it. Fascinating stuff! :)

well..the scary thing is...this reminds me of...the media.

i would like to think that i would never agree with them, in the slightest.

I studied this too for Psychology and remember having to watch videos, and write papers on it. Fascinating stuff! :)

I looked at this during my Psychology A Level too.

There is a TV show based on it?? We were told in Psychology that the experiment wouldn't be allowed by the British Psychological Society today because of ethics which protect participants.

Back