With a Child's Heart: Appreciating a Superstar

Rasta Pasta

Proud Member
With a Child's Heart: Appreciating a Superstar
Date: Friday, June 26, 2009, 2:06 pm
By: Zack Burgess, Special to BlackAmericaWeb.com

It was the early 1970’s, and my family took me to see The Jackson 5 at the old Olympia Stadium on Grand River Avenue in Detroit, Michigan. At the time they could not have imagined the effect Michael Jackson would have on a five year old.

Needless to say – I fainted within moments after he hit the stage.

Yes, we're talking lights out, mother screaming, grandmother picking me up off the floor, brothers and cousins asking me if I'm alright. Of course it was a family affair. After all, it was the Jackson 5. Black royalty. Our Kennedys. It’s talked about every time we all get together.

This is the effect this man not only had on me, but billions. People as old as 80, as young as seven and as far away as China, or as close to you as the steps of your neighborhood store – loved Michael Jackson.

“I just knew I was going to watch Michael Jackson grow old,” said Desiree Watkins of Chicago. “I still remember going to see him at 10-years-old at Cobo Hall in Detroit with my mother. It was the only concert my mother and I ever went to together, which makes this moment even more special. My son is in Paris right now, and I have not heard from him since my husband and sent him off, but today he called – to talk about the death of Michael Jackson, of course. Keep in mind he just graduated from high school. This is how many generations this man has affected.”

Yesterday, the world lost the greatest performer in the history of mankind. Peter Pan is dead. A man who changed the music industry, whether it was his landmark performance on MTV, when the network was reluctant to play the music of African Americans, his performance at the 25th anniversary of Motown or his ability to carry the music industry for an entire decade in the 1980’s — he was certainly special. The albums, the songs - "Thriller," "Bad" and "We Are the World" almost single handedly saved music in the '80s.

And though some will argue that Jackson's star waned in the latter years, I would beg to differ. Before his death, he had sold out 50 nights at a million dollars a show, which was to begin sometime in July. Only greatness can command that type of attention and money. And Thursday, his death preempted prime time programming – as if a president had died.

The Jackson family should be proud. Forget what they say about Joe Jackson. To me, he produced the greatest talent to ever walk the face of this earth. And, as my mother often says, “Have vision, son, have vision.” Michael Jackson had vision. My mother also says that God takes the good early. Well, he got a good one.

Jackson saw things and angles that most of us do not see. God certainly gave him an astounding gift. Not often does a person get an opportunity to change the world. I’m just happy that I was along for the ride. His time on this earth will be remembered forever. And when my grandkids come to me some day and talk about Michael Jackson, I will certainly talk a lot of stuff, maybe even embellish a little - not that I need to - and smile.

Thanks for enriching our lives, Michael Jackson. Rest in peace, king. Certainly, you deserve it.

http://www.blackamericaweb.com/?q=articles/entertainment/gossip/10474/2

Bless you, Rasta Pasta. These stories do not make me cry. They make me celebrate this man that I love. He lives in me. He lives in all of us who loved him and who he loved.

Bless you, Rasta Pasta. These stories do not make me cry. They make me celebrate this man that I love. He lives in me. He lives in all of us who loved him and who he loved.

Dang. I teared up. I am going to be okay, but I am not processing this very well. I think I am still in denial...part of me thinks I'll wake up EVERY single morning and find it to be a bad dream. Problem is, it's been long enough that when I wake up, I know very well Mike is gone, and I don't even wonder if it isn't true. It's sad. But, he is in peace. A well deserved escape from the horrors of this world. He was not only abused as a child, but also as an adult. I just know God must have had a plan, a big one, for this to happen. Already the world has changed its tune. Praise being heaped upon Michael, finally...

Back