Will.i.am:'if you want a song to be a big #1 smash, then you have to play a Michael Jackson song whi

0o0jackie0o0

Proud Member
Black Eyed Peas producer says 'if you want a song to be a big #1 smash, then you have to play a Michael Jackson song while you're making your song.'
By Mawuse Ziegbe (@mawuseziegbe)

As the mastermind behind inescapable jam "Boom Boom Pow" and record-disintegrating smash "I Gotta Feeling," will.i.am has been rockin' bodies — and those are just the hits he's pulled off for the Black Eyed Peas. The producer/rapper has also powered chart-winners for stars Usher, Estelle and John Legend and has recently turned his hitmaking skills toward fellow MC Nicki Minaj.

On Tuesday's episode of MTV's "The Seven," will, who teamed up with Minaj for her peppy Pink Friday offering "Check It Out," broke down his approach to creating chart-busting tracks. He said he mines inspiration from some of music's most game-changing artists when he puts together a record.

"We call it 'A-B-ing.' Anything you make, there's nothing new under the sun. So there's always an 'A and B' to whatever your approach is," he said. "So if you want a song to be a big #1 smash, then you have to play a Michael Jackson song while you're making your song."

He said using an artist such as Jackson as a benchmark will usually let a producer know if a track really has that 'It' factor. "What you don't want to do is have a 'hit record' and then turn it on and it isn't as loud as Michael Jackson's."

Minaj, who experienced will.i.am's skills firsthand on "Check It Out," said hopping in the studio with the Peas frontman was a singular experience.

"That's when I knew he was a freaking, next-level ... not even a human when he recorded me," Minaj told "The Seven." "The word 'producer' ... means different things depending on who's using the word. will's the only producer that produced me. He really sat there and he got this weird sound, and I was like, 'What?' "

In addition to drawing an insane performance from will, the Young Money Barbie marveled at his ability to quickly craft the cheery instrumental.

"The beat wasn't even done," Minaj recalled. "He made the beat on the spot."

Minaj's awe for will appeared mutual. The Peas lyricist said the hip-hop upstart is way more than just a rapper with a rollicking flow; she's an artist.

"Her being a dope rapper, a dope MC, is just an element of the Nicki factor," will said.

Well will.i.am, that method hasn't worked for you. Check It Out is garbage. But don't worry. You will look like a genius soon enough when your music with MJ (that you don't want put out) is released. It will be #1 smash material. Good thing MJ was there to keep you in check.

Michael didn't need to play other peoples tracks to create his own. I know his game, and as a musician listening to another work whilst trying to create your own will destroy all sense of originality.

Well will.i.am, that method hasn't worked for you. Check It Out is garbage. But don't worry. You will look like a genius soon enough when your music with MJ (that you don't want put out) is released. It will be #1 smash material. Good thing MJ was there to keep you in check.

Exactly...

i think will.i.am is just saying u hav to give it absolutely everything u hav the way mj did. listening to mj reminds him to do that at all times. its inspiration for him
lol. i think we're a bit hard on will.i.am. he's obviously talented otherwise we all know mike never would of chosen him...
:) (no probs hess)

Michael didn't need to play other peoples tracks to create his own. I know his game, and as a musician listening to another work whilst trying to create your own will destroy all sense of originality.

Michael listened to Prince's 1999 when he did thriller and got inspired from it.
(well for that opening sound)... and i'm sure he had lots of other inspirations.
Just think about "Mama Se Mama Sa Mama Macosa.." etc. ;)

Its up to the talent of the artist if letting other peoples music into the studio...
ends up copying or as inspiration to do something different or even better.

Will.I.Am is a nice producer. put him in the year 1984... with the standarts
and processes of making music of that time... and he'd be a legend today.
pop producers are always limited to what the market allows them...
and for that... will isnt that bad today.

timbaland is still the best anyway.

i think will.i.am is just saying u hav to give it absolutely everything u hav the way mj did. listening to mj reminds him to do that at all times. its inspiration for him
lol. i think we're a bit hard on will.i.am. he's obviously talented otherwise we all know mike never would of chosen him...
:) (no probs hess)

Of course he's talented. People with no musician talent can't really judge him. They can and they can fail at it. The judgement here is stupid.

Nevertheless he should have stick to the original plan and not release it without mikes blessing, but w/e.

Michael listened to Prince's 1999 when he did thriller and got inspired from it.
(well for that opening sound)... and i'm sure he had lots of other inspirations.
Just think about "Mama Se Mama Sa Mama Macosa.." etc. ;)

Its up to the talent of the artist if letting other peoples music into the studio...
ends up copying or as inspiration to do something different or even better.

Will.I.Am is a nice producer. put him in the year 1984... with the standarts
and processes of making music of that time... and he'd be a legend today.
pop producers are always limited to what the market allows them...
and for that... will isnt that bad today.

timbaland is still the best anyway.

well that's opinion...

well that's opinion...

No the "mamase mamasa" bit was not original. It was sampled from another song.

And I don't get why people here got a bit angry at this. I consider it to be a huge compliment.

And I don't get why people here got a bit angry at this. I consider it to be a huge compliment.

I agree...Will is clearly complimenting Michael with this. It's getting old how members here are so quick to demean other artists.

Michael was always secure with his abilities. His thoughts were not on being a superstar today... he was focused on assuring his legacy as a superstar 1000 years from now!

Will.i.am is one of todays top producers and unless you're just a hater, you can't deny his impact on todays music landscape. He makes fun music, music you can dance to.

I appreciate the love that Will.i.am has for MJ but i'm really not a fan of his music. I really don't understand why so many people go nuts for the song I Gotta A Feeling. I think it's terrible. Meet Me Halfway is a much better song

covered would be the better word.
the lyrics were also slightly changed.
MJ made it better.

the bit about prince's 1999 and the thriller opening
was confirmed by Bruce Swedien
or someone else involved with the production.

Back