Why was THIS IS IT recorded in Dolby Digital 5.1?

IMWhizzle

Proud Member
I don't get it.. Why would you record the rehearsals in multitrack 5.1 audio?? I mean.. The mix sounds PERFECT..

This is just a question.. Please don't discuss anything about conspiracy theories.. I just want to know if such a recording is normal.

I wish the sound wasn't recorded in 5.1.I don't have a 5.1 sound system and the audio has a very low volume...

Michael likely wanted the option to include rehearsal footage with surround sound as part of the show or as part of an eventual concert DVD/Blu-Ray.

Michael likely wanted the option to include rehearsal footage with surround sound as part of the show or as part of an eventual concert DVD/Blu-Ray.
I see what you're saying, but I doubt that.

Knowing how much of a perfectionist he seemed to be, I doubt he'd want those rehearsals out there.

It's likely the audio was fed into a digital soundboard and mixing system that was planned for the actual tour itself. Any modern system keeps each track in tact. They simply mixed this to 5.1 for the film. This probably was not planned to be mixed in 5.1 originally. But as they had isolated tracks they were capable of doing 5.1 for the theatrical release.

Each track would have been recorded individually at rehearsals so it would have been easy to mix into 5.1

5.1 is standard these days so Im not surprised.

It's likely the audio was fed into a digital soundboard and mixing system that was planned for the actual tour itself. Any modern system keeps each track in tact. They simply mixed this to 5.1 for the film. This probably was not planned to be mixed in 5.1 originally. But as they had isolated tracks they were capable of doing 5.1 for the theatrical release.

Well, I've read a couple of days before june 25th that footage WAS recorded in high def and in multitrack digital surround sound, which IS dolby surround 5.1

You just can not upscale stereo multitracks to this quality.

Well, I've read a couple of days before june 25th that footage WAS recorded in high def and in multitrack digital surround sound, which IS dolby surround 5.1

You just can not upscale stereo multitracks to this quality.

5.1 has nothing to do with quality. It has to do with channels. They obviously had different tracks from different sources and then mixed them into a dolby 5.1 at sony for the film. I think some of the audio even came from the top mic on the camera.

A few days after the 25th they were talking about the music being recorded onto isolated tracks. The stems were there for most of the songs, so they could mix them.
Ortega said some songs didn't have the tracks they needed so they had to go with the recording as was.

I'm sure they added and tweaked the musical arrangements in post. Thats why the quality is so high. Sony worked hard on the audio.

The rear speakers have some artificial reverb too.

Jeremy.

The movie seems to be dubbed with tracks... I dont think all the live songs were really live,

I agree Loyal. Not long ago, there was a story going around (anonymosly sp? )posted about a tech at the rehearsals. He said most of the songs we heard were previously recorded, and the vocals of Michael were for the most part not used as he sung them in rehearsals. Now if you ask me, all the fans would've rathered heard the songs as Michael sang them in rehearsal and not dubbed in tracks from his previous recordings. Hope I explained that well enough to understand. I just know I love Michael, and always will for all time!!! xoxo

MJs vocal's from demo's were used in some places. Sony confirmed this themselves.

Back