why was Money not reelased as a single?

Eric

Proud Member
Does anyone one remember why Money wasn't released as a single? If I remember right, it was scheduled to be a single. Plus it was listed on a sticker on the cover of HIStory. My guess is BOTDF coming out caused them to not release it, but I'm not sure.

You got it one.

Money was going to be a single as it was even included on some compilation albums at the time but it was cancelled due to the fact that BOTDF was coming out shortly.

Smile was supposed to be a single too for December 1996 and This Time Around was supposed to be a single too put they got pulled.

Smile was supposed to be a single too for December 1996 and This Time Around was supposed to be a single too put they got pulled.
Yeah, after BOTDF came out, the promotion of HIStory was pretty much over in the USA at least. The only single released in the USA after BOTDF was Stanger in Moscow. And SIM was already released to the rest of the world almost a year before it came out in the USA.

Money is a great tune!

It should have been released IMO!

I just heard a song on the radio which has this lyric repeated ad nauseum: "You're a Jerk! (I know)"

Apparently, radio-friendly isn't what it used to be.

Money is a good song though. Catchy as catchy can be and it holds a lot of truth.

I don't know if it's me and my freaking "synesthesia", but I'm curious to know if there are more people here that somehow see/feel a connection between "Money" and "This Time Around", and I don't mean lyrically... I mean that somehow those two songs are linked together, like they have the same "taste" or "color", like they're brothers.
I kind of feel that "2 Bad" belong together with them also, but it don't have as strong bond as "Money" & "This Time Around" have with each other.

And if you've not noticed by now, yes I'm a very strange old man :D

Last edited:
Although I like the song Money especially the lyrics, I don't think it would have worked well as a single because I don't think the general public would have really understood it and as others have said it isn't a 'radio-friendly' sing-a-long track.

I see what u'r saying BruceWayne...I don't know about the 2BAD connection, but Money and This Time Around have the same feel to them...maybe they spawned from the same thing...or each other...

Alot of Mike's songs are like that,where although you can tell them apart and they have their own identity you can feel a connection between/among them...

I also remember reading in the then HIStory Mags that they also wanted to release Tabloid Junkie, but that didn't happen because of BOTDF

Although I like the song Money especially the lyrics, I don't think it would have worked well as a single because I don't think the general public would have really understood it and as others have said it isn't a 'radio-friendly' sing-a-long track.

I agree

I like money. And the song.

btw,wasn't Tabloid Junkie supposed to be a single as well? I would have loved that :(

Yes Tabloid Junkie was also considered as a single as well as 2Bad but again both of them were canned by Sony. If you think about it if all the singles that were planned for release came to fruition then HIStory would have had 10 songs from it released as singles.

Yes Tabloid Junkie was also considered as a single as well as 2Bad but again both of them were canned by Sony. If you think about it if all the singles that were planned for release came to fruition then HIStory would have had 10 songs from it released as singles.
Yeah, HIStory was really down in terms on the number of singles released from it. I think Dangerous has 8 or 9 singles compared to History.

I like 'Money', but i don't think it would have gone down well with the general public. The fans might have (and do) appreciate(d) it, but otherwise it wouldn't have done particularly well.

2Bad would have done better than Money or Tabloid Junkie. IMO more radio friendly.

i don't know if it was an official single or not but sure did hear this time around on the radio a lot in 1996.

it would certainly be appropriate now. lol

i think the idea of radio freindly is overrated.

if anything..a new sound would be so refreshing on the radio. but there are other ways to promote a song.

i don't know if it was an official single or not but sure did hear this time around on the radio a lot in 1996.
This Time Around was released as a promo in the USA.

This Time Around was released as a promo in the USA.

Yeah it was released to radio and managed to chart at No.25 in the US based purely on radio airplay alone. It was going to be a single but Sony scrapped it like a lot of the other planned singles for it.

BOTD has a lot to answer for, Id give my left arm to see Money, Smile and This Time Around vidoes, although I do love BOTD, Is It Scary, Ghosts..Morphine..Im gonna stop talkin now...

Yeah, at the time, I don't think it would've worked as a single. Even today, I wouldn't think Mike would think of releasing anything LIKE "Money" as a single. He was always a "radio-friendly" artist.

BOTDF album didn't force the cancellation of HIStory singles.

May 1997 these singles were being discussed by Sony for possible release:

Money
2BAD
Tabloid Junkie
Morphine (yes, it even had its own acetate)

And that was well after the release of BOTDF. Also Smile was due for release in December 1997 - not 1996. Cancelled without Michael's knowledge and he learned of it through the BoW fanzine who were interviewing him at the time. He was reportedly furious.

No reason was ever given for any cancellations, but the HIStory singles sold more than BAD or Dangerous releases despite fewer cuts released from HIStory.

All this talk about Money has made me put the track on. lol Money is a groovy track! Wonder how well it would have done in the clubs..

Back