Why was Break of Dawn included on Number Ones?

MattyJam

Guests
I've always found this to be very bizarre.

I've heard some fans speculate that there were plans to release this as a second single from the album and that he was even going to do a video for it. I'm not sure how reliable or true that is.

Can anybody shed any light on why this song was included?

They were planning to release it as a singel, according to Wikipedia. Doubt it's wrong.

I've always found this to be very bizarre.

I've heard some fans speculate that there were plans to release this as a second single from the album and that he was even going to do a video for it. I'm not sure how reliable or true that is.

Can anybody shed any light on why this song was included?
The reason it was on there was because during the Invincible era, Break of Dawn got a good amount of airplay despite it not even being a single. I think they also wanted at least one song from Invincible on the album, so they chose a song that was getting some airplay.

At the time of releasing Invincible, did Sony and Michael want release different songs for single?

At the time of releasing Invincible, did Sony and Michael want release different songs for single?
Yeah. MJ wanted Unbreakable as the first single and Sony wanted YRMW.

My guess is to add more than one Invincible track. But Number Ones is odd in the sense that worldwide chart-toppers like Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' weren't included, whilst Break of Dawn, which didn't chart anywhere, is included. But if you were to have a list of all Michael's track that hit number one somewhere, it would be incredibly long.

Break of Dawn was never even planned as a single. The release of Butterflies was cancelled (although it charted on airplay alone) and Cry was the third single. I think these should, at least, have been included instead. Butterflies even reached number two on the US Billboard R&B/Hip-Hop Songs.

Every other song was a number one, including new single One More Chance, which was added to boost sales. It topped the charts in Moldolva, Turkey and Venezuela.

there was talk they were gonna release it as a single to not only promote number ones but also vince. whether it would have happened who knows. other than that i only see it being put on there in order to garner abit of attention for vince and maybe sell a few copies off the back of it being on the album and ppl hearing it who didnt own vince

I think Break Of Dawn would have done well had it been properly released as a single. Hell Butterflies did VERY WELL with no promotion or video for it. Top 5 on the Billboard R & B charts isn't too damn bad

yeah billboard said butterfiles could have made it to number one if sony had bothered to relase it. they pulled the same stunt as they did with YRMW in the USA. kept pushing the physical release back week after week instead of releasing it when the single was at its highest position due to airplay.then pulled it all together

I think Break Of Dawn would have done well had it been properly released as a single. Hell Butterflies did VERY WELL with no promotion or video for it. Top 5 on the Billboard R & B charts isn't too damn bad

Imagine what would happen if Butterflies had a good promotion. The problems between Michael and Sony did beat Invincible and now some ppl say that it was failure. They forget say also the promotion was poor.

Back