Why some of the songs topped r&b charts but not pop charts?

Topflux

Proud Member
Michael had some songs that topped r&b charts but not pop charts. (in US) Why is that? Is it because what other artists had out at the same time? These songs were:
The Girl Is Mine
Another Part Of Me
Remember The Time
In The Closet

Butterflies was another one that did well on the R & B charts but not so much on the pop charts. It went as high as #2....and that was with NO PROMOTION!

I'm confused as to why he's now been categorized as an R&B singer. I went to Best Buy a couple months ago and all of his CDs and DVDs had been moved to the R&B section - not just J5, but his solo stuff. I don't like that. And I think he'd hate that. He fought so hard to not be categorized as a black/R&B/Soul artist. He transcended that and it should stay that way. He is, afterall, the "King of Pop".

^
Yea, but that title was shorted from the King of Pop, Rock and Soul.

I hate categorising him - his back catalogue spans songs from Who's Loving You to Morphine - but I feel he was predominately a R&B artist. That influence was always there, even on more pop or experimental tracks.

I'm confused as to why he's now been categorized as an R&B singer. I went to Best Buy a couple months ago and all of his CDs and DVDs had been moved to the R&B section - not just J5, but his solo stuff. I don't like that. And I think he'd hate that. He fought so hard to not be categorized as a black/R&B/Soul artist. He transcended that and it should stay that way. He is, afterall, the "King of Pop".

I thought I was the only one that noticed that.

I think it is because that most consider his stuff past the Off The Wall album as pop. Everything of and before Off The Wall I guess you could say was more R&B?

I mean really the problem with Michael is that he really was not just one title. He did Pop, Rock, R&B,he did it all. The fact is that the stores have to put him somewhere!! lol.

Because it's based on race normally (not to be confused with racism), black male acts usually get catagorised as R'n'B, or it can be white acts that are very black influenced (e.g. Timberlake).

It's all nonsense really, after all pop is short for popular.

michael was always categorized as an r&b singer,ever since the jackson 5 days....
in fact when off the wall was out,he only won r&b awards-not rock and not pop...with thriller,he kind of made black music cross over into what was then considered 'pop' music or white pop music

he was black so how could he not be categorized as a black artist?
he was always nominated/winning naacp awards-which is about the achievements of black people in music/arts/tv and movie stars/humanitarians/athletes
yes he was for all races but that didnt take his race away

he was the first artist to ever top the r&b,pop,and rock charts simultaneously

i dont think he'd have a problem with that...his music was always in the r&b sections at the music stores i shop at

just like any books written about him are placed in the african american section at the library..or at least in the libraries i frequent

Last edited:
Back