Why Michael's pronunciation is so different?

Woman in the Mirror

Proud Member
Well, I was wonderin' why sometimes Michael's pronunciation is so different?
English is not my mother language but I've heard a lot times people saying that he had his own pronunciation.

It's from his parents, it's kind of a blend of mid-western and southern accents... :D

Yeah it has to do where he comes from the funny thing is that when I started speaking English some of the words that I say are exactly like how Michael is pronouncing the words lol...

It's from his parents, it's kind of a blend of mid-western and southern accents... :D

Mid-Western and Southern accent..YASSS girl! :lmao: I was just thinking about that. I was wondering why Michael's accent was different from mine. I just have a southern accent, but he has both Mid-Western AND Southern, so I was like "Oh..yeah..I get it." :p lol

Mid-Western and Southern accent..YASSS girl! :lmao: I was just thinking about that. I was wondering why Michael's accent was different from mine. I just have a southern accent, but he has both Mid-Western AND Southern, so I was like "Oh..yeah..I get it." :p lol

exactly :lmao:

I've been watching people talking with southern accent and midwesterner "accent" (Indiana) and I don't think midwestern people have one tbh. The southern one is more notorious if you listen to people from Alabama, New Orleans, Texas, etc. I thought Michael had mostly a standard American accent with a mix of southern one.

I've been watching people talking with southern accent and midwesterner "accent" (Indiana) and I don't think midwestern people have one tbh. The southern one is more notorious if you listen to people from Alabama, New Orleans, Texas, etc. I thought Michael had mostly a standard American accent with a mix of southern one.
I can not differ the southern accent from midwestern. Can you?

he does have an accent, but it's one that i've never heard before outside of the jackson family honestly and i'm sure it's a mixture that only exists within their family. it's VERY hard to pin down or imitate. i hear midwestern, AAVE, and very proper, charmingly old fashioned southern english. though it's definitely not apparent in every word he says..
*audience (sort of new yorker way of saying it- like OAdience)
*concert, confidence, honored (O-->U)
*white --> hwhite

I'm from the same part of Indiana that Michael was from (I used to live 30 miles from the 2300 Jackson street house). Midwestern people do have an accent, though it's generally a slight one. Now that I've been away from it a while I notice it. I get told I sound "southern" all the time up here in Canada.

I can not differ the southern accent from midwestern. Can you?
Yeah, there's a difference. Sometimes r's are over-pronounced which can put a different bend on vowel sounds. Also keep in mind that a white mid-western working class family is going to sound different from a black mid-western working class family; colloquial slang and dialects can differ according to what part of town you live in. Joe was mid-western and Katherine was southern but Alabama's "southern" accent also sounds different from Florida's, or Louisiana's or Mississippi's or even Texas. How Michael says the word "would" like "wood" is a classic general southern pronunciation. The lazy vowels happen a lot in the mid-west, like how Michael pronounces the world "adulation" kind of like "edge-yoo-lay-shun". It's a unique blend that hard to duplicate.... :heart:

Yeah it has to do where he comes from the funny thing is that when I started speaking English some of the words that I say are exactly like how Michael is pronouncing the words lol...
The same thing happens to me too! I suppose it's because, by listening to him very much we pronounce words just the way we hear them and so we acquire his accent.

When I first watched the documentary about him going back to Gary I could listen to their accent for the first time. I noticed that those who lived there had a similar accent to Michael's, but it was a lot stronger (it's obvious, there!). Michael has a slight one instead, and we have to keep in mind that he lived in LA for a very long time, he moved there when he was young, so probably he lost most of it.

Back