Why just a few weeks after his death is he now fair game again for tabloids?

czechstar

Proud Member
Just when I thought the UK tabloids might actually give Michael a break, papers like The People today print a string of "Jesus Juice", "Sleepover" and other nonsense articles?

Why can't these people finally realise his popularity and let him rest in peace? Haven't they hounded him enough? Can't they try and report some interesting aspects about his life? Wouldn't THAT be refreshing?

Such lazy journalism.

And it goes for TV too. Like who DOESN'T know that Uri was out of the picture years ago...?

Made me sick when i saw the sunday paper this morning that my parents get...
some of the stories from a former housekeeper i was stunned! But its funny none of these people came out of the woodwork with the drug stories before his death...
bit suspicious to me!!

Why can't people leave him alone it makes me sick!! :(

I'm not surprised, some of them have been doing it since he died, others quietly going back down that road, because all the vermin, the ones who try to say they have some connection even though they know nothing, are all making their money while they can. Same scum like Adrian McManus who after all these years are still making money out of his death. It's always about the money. He didn't even look like someone who would be a housekeeper to me. Big ole cheesy grin.

And what about the nose of Rolling Stone article...?

I was shocked when I had heard a puclic radio station reporting about it as a fact!

Simply I was shocked...

No Evidence, no names, no investigation... just a report...

The Jacksons should sue somebody for this..., but katherine/Joe/Jermaine or whoever of them is more interested in MJs asset and administering... of MJs money...

Come on now.

Did you REALLY think these sleazebuckets would change their game?
They are misery merchants selling agony & pain. They delight in the negative side of life.
Have you SEEN a paparazzi in action? These are depraved sick people who work in that field. Don't expect them to change.

Hell, they didn't even change the day OF the death.
They have never liked Michael because he called them out on their bullshit. And there's more money to be made by making him out to be a freak rather than a human being. They will NEVER change. Don't expect that much out of them.
John Lucas

Because they build him up to knock him down. The more popular he is the more people talk about him the more stories they need. The appetite of the press is unending. Don't expect them to change and if they would they had to admit they were lying over all the years

Michael Jackson WAS and will ALWAYS be fair game to the media!

And it is with that, that throughout my mourning phase I just had to ask how much more would he have been able to take!

the bastards have all got blood on their hands i hope they all burn in hell

Mike has always bee a prime target for the media-his name is a huge draw and they know it. I'm not surprised at all.

The tabloids employ sociopaths, you have to have a level of ruthlesness to be able to make a living from lies, and tearing people apart, and no consience in order to enjoy the money and still sleep at night. The sad part for me is that millions of people buy them, we live in an age where people love to read about dirt, true or otherwise.

Eventually this will stop, once the autopsy reports are out and the discussion on that runs it's course it will be over and there will be no more Michael stories. At least none of them can hurt him now.

It's because the law of libel does not apply to the dead, so they feel free to post anything and everything that they think will boost sales. That's all that matters as far as they are concerned.

we should just follow Michael's steps and do... you know what? NOT CARE!!! Michael never cared about those assholes, so we shouldn't either. DON'T WORRY ABOUT WHAT PEOPLE SAY, WE'VE GOT THE TRUTH!

We know who he really was and we should stand proud with this fact.... the rumors will always come. But we shouldn't pay attention. So please don't give a sH!t.

What makes me frustrated, and sad, is that some people will believe this rubbish. Some people are gullible enough to think tabloids tell the truth. How are they allowed to just print lie after lie? There aren't even any "allegedly" or "it is claimed." They talk as if it's fact. That's low when Michael can't defend himself.

In the words of the great man, "Don't waste your cash on that filthy tabloid trash."

When was he not fair game for the tabloids???

I'm annoyed that when Diana died the media said they'd leave William and Harry alone. Wish they would do that for Prince, Paris and Blanket, instead of putting on the front page any chance they get. Micahael would hate that. One tabloid today has pictures of Paris and Prince from years ago, saying something like 'inside Michael's whacko kid's world' or some other garbage. :(

Tabloids are a bunch of no hopers, lazy journalists. Imagine just sitting at a desk and creating stuff from hearsay etc.......no work done, not left desk to interview or find out the true stories of the world.

Lets hope they keep the trash they have written to take to their next world, I believe they need sh*t to keep the fires going......

all celebrities are fair game for the tabloids and michael is no different. the average person on the street thinks hes weird so the tabloids are just dishing up what the public wants to hear. and people are buying it - in droves!

Found an article yesterday which pretty much sums up how these comedian types worked around Michael's death, I suppose it applies to tabloids aswell.
No laughing matter? Michael Jackson and celebrity death jokes
There was the one that blamed the boogie, and the one set in the children's ward. There was the one about being melted down into toy soldiers, and the one about heaven not accepting plastic. And so on and so endlessly forth. It was widely reported that Michael Jackson's death brought the internet to its knees last week, as news and social networking sites buckled under the strain of the millions searching to see if the rumours of his fatal heart attack were true. The deluge of Jackson jokes that followed nearly did the same for email inboxes everywhere.

Jokes inspired by the death of a celebrity are nothing new, but the speed and ferocity of those that flooded the web in the aftermath of Jackson's death was unprecedented. In some respects, this should come as no surprise. Jackson's status as the most famous pop star in the world, combined with his changing appearance and allegations of child abuse, had long made him an easy comedic target. As Chris Rock put it, "All comedians should send Michael Jackson a cheque ... If you give your agent 10 dollars, Michael should get three dollars." Most of these jokes only required a small tweak to incorporate the new development of his death, and the advent of Twitter et al means that the global distribution of the newly-adapted one-liner has never been easier.

Even taking that into account, the speed was still extraordinary, with the general public even beating professional comics to the punchline. Marcus Brigstocke was travelling to Glastonbury with a carload of fellow comedians when he heard the news. "When it came on the radio, everyone in the car went quiet," he explains. "Not out of any sense of respect, but because the race was on: who was going to be the first person to come up with the definitive joke? And the answer was none of us. By the next morning, I'd already seen someone on the Glastonbury site wearing a T-shirt with 'The Jackson 4' on it. Now that is quick."

A common perception is that a joke about death offends because it is made too close to the event. Brigstocke claims the opposite is true. The importance of a speedy celebrity death joke for a professional comedian is therefore not just about beating the competition, it is about being able to joke about the subject at all. "For the first 12 hours, it's fine, no matter who it is," he says. "The day Rod Hull died, for example, I went on stage and did three minutes on his death, and everyone laughed their arses off. Come the next day, though, everyone had read about his family and developed affection for someone they'd previously been neutral about. So there's only a short window of time to get your best jokes out - but it is always there. Even after 9/11, there was a small pocket of time, before the reality had really sunk in, when people could get away with joking about it."

When that window shuts, and the mainstream media coverage reverts to eulogy and, in Jackson's case, exoneration, there can be negative consequences for comics who heedlessly return to the subject. Mock the Week's Frankie Boyle found this out last weekend, when the Daily Record refused to publish his weekly column because it contained a stream of one-liners about Jackson. Boyle subsequently quit the newspaper in protest. Jokes relating to the singer were also pulled from Sacha Baron Cohen's new film, Brüno, and Channel 4's The TNT Show.

Like many comics, Richard Herring began tweeting jokes about Jackson's death within hours of its announcement. He defended his, and other comedians', irreverent reaction to the news by arguing it acted as a counterweight to the mainstream media's "mawkish" coverage of the story. Rather than focusing on Jackson himself, Herring's Twitter updates concentrated on the singer's "friends" lining up to comment on 24-hour news channels. But he was adamant that there was nothing wrong with jokes directly targeting the singer.

"I think laughing in the face of horrible and tragic death is an appropriate response and actually much less offensive than the TV coverage, or the hysteria of people eulogising someone that they didn't know and never met," he wrote. "If Jackson had lived an exemplary life then it might have been less dignified to joke so quickly, but to be conferring sainthood on this man without any dissenting voices would be just as wrong." Brigstocke agrees, believing that both Jackson's stratospheric fame and alleged misdemeanours meant that he had sacrificed any right to posthumous comedic restraint. "He was a man who lost the sympathy of most of the world a long time ago. It's not like the jokes dehumanise him – he was dehumanised already by existing in the world of ridiculous, mega-celebrity. Celebrities like that are not real people – it's like making a joke about an EastEnders character that's died."

In the eyes of most comics, their role is to push the boundaries of what the public will accept. According to Arthur Smith, humour is an entirely natural reaction to death – he has even included jokes about the death of his own father in his sets. "There's no doubt that people go to a comedy club to hear something said that they can't hear on the TV or radio, things that they've thought but don't want to actually say," he observes. "That's where comedy thrives. People do want to hear Michael Jackson jokes, because most people don't care really and are just amused by the whole kerfuffle. It's a different situation to when Diana died because, although comedians were itching to make jokes about her, I don't think audiences would have taken it in the same way."

"The hard part with Michael Jackson is to say something interesting – if it's just an excuse to do a load of paedophile jokes, then that's boring. A good joke has to in some way reveal something that you'd thought but hadn't quite realised, and not many of the Jackson jokes flying about at the moment do that."

And that, ultimately, seems to be the crux of the matter. After all, Michael Jackson has provided us with peerless entertainment over the past 50 years, from the often superlative music, to his fascinating physical metamorphosis and the sheer farcical horror of his later years. Coming up with a half-decent joke about him seems to be the least we can do in return.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/2009/jul/02/michael-jackson-celebrity-death-jokes

There is a Prince lyric I like a lot from his song 'Love' that I will quote here:

"Stop worryin' about what people say,
When it ain't gonna, ain't gonna stop them anyway"

Back