why does mj get "eras" ?

mizzneneluvzmj

Proud Member
ive always wondered about this....is it because how his looks changed? or the music? i never got when they say "oh i liked him in the thriller era-" LOL nothing wrong with it i just never understood it. we dont do this with any other artist, like we'd never say beyonce era or neyo era..hmm is it cuz of his age? help a sistah out guys

Its not just MJ. I know of Prince fans, Mad fans and even wrestling fans calling title reigns as eras.

As for Mike, its the album era. So Thriller Era, Bad era etc. His appearance has nothing to do with eras. Its just that MJs appearance happened to be different for each era, intentional or not.

ive always wondered about this....is it because how his looks changed? or the music? i never got when they say "oh i liked him in the thriller era-" LOL nothing wrong with it i just never understood it. we dont do this with any other artist, like we'd never say beyonce era or neyo era..hmm is it cuz of his age? help a sistah out guys

Being part of the Music Industry...It comes with the territory...

When you (as an artist) reinvent your music as much as Michael has done over the years, there's really nothing you can do than to categorize his reinventions into eras.

90% of todays new artists will not have their career divided into different eras because there's a big chance that their career will only survive 1 era, and that's their "I'm the new hot shit" era.

EDIT: AND, Michael don't release an album every other year like most artists.
There's at least 3 years in between each album release (of you don't count his pre-off the wall work)

Last edited:
Its just an easy way to define the timelines in MJs life basically.

90% of todays new artists will not have their career divided into different eras because there's a big chance that their career will only survive 1 era, and that's their "I'm the new hot shit" era.

:rofl: Ain't that the truth.

because MJ has done something that no one else in the music industry has done before him. last.

and..yes..people go by your reasons as well.

When you (as an artist) reinvent your music as much as Michael has done over the years, there's really nothing you can do than to categorize his reinventions into eras.

EDIT: AND, Michael don't release an album every other year like most artists.
There's at least 3 years in between each album release (of you don't count his pre-off the wall work)

i agree about reinvention. MJ did it successfully, and then the industry played catch up and declared that other artists reinvented theirs if it managed to last long enough. but, the other artists reinvented their look. it's MJ's music that is the great chameleon. and he didn't purposely reinvent his look. everybody else followed up, trying to play catch up, deliberately...if they managed to last. but MJ is the one that truly lasts, where it counts. Musically.

Back