Why do they keep messing with Michael's message?

HIStory

Proud Member
Probably I'm a bit late but I just realized they left out this part from the video version:

So then I went in my pocket took my wallet on out
With my pictures of my family and girl
This is the place that you choose to be with me
When you thought you could be in another world

I understand that sometimes songs need to be edited for video and to be a single, but this is a crucial part of the song, without it it has a totally different meaning. This is the punchline so to speak, the whole moral of the story that gives it depth.

I absolutely hated it when they tried to make the sad and socially critical story of Hollywood Tonight into some Hollywood success story. Now, they are doing this to APWNN as well. I really really hate this. I find it very disrespectful. As if they are saying "we do not care whatever moral story Michael wanted to tell in a song, let's make it as light weight for mass consumption as possible".

Last edited:
^ I don’t like it myself but as long as there’s going to be a second video on the song I’m fine with experiments.

They needed to make a dance video and they did so.

Little bit confused by you saying 2 vids will be made is that confirmed or is that speculation or your wish?

Terry

Allusio;4037034 said:
^ I don’t like it myself but as long as there’s going to be a second video on the song I’m fine with experiments.

They needed to make a dance video and they did so.

No they did not "need" to make a dance video.

They basically took out the verse that takes the song on another level, that gives it a deeper meaning than it only being about some fantasy trip.
Either they deliberately water down Michael's messages or they are totally dilettant about artistic matters.

Little bit confused by you saying 2 vids will be made is that confirmed or is that speculation or your wish?

Terry

Well, one official video and MJ One video on APWNN. As far as I know it is confirmed.

It is just unclear what version of the song MJ One will take, new or the original one.

respect77;4037049 said:
No they did not "need" to make a dance video.

They basically took out the verse that takes the song on another level, that gives it a deeper meaning than it only being about some fantasy trip.
Either they deliberately water down Michael's messages or they are totally dilettant about artistic matters.

Yes, and IMO that “another level” is breaking apart by the dance beat itself too. Can be a sad song be THAT dance song? Really … They didn’t need to make it about the dance but they’ve decided to do so and fallowed it. I’m not saying that it was right but according the new version of the song it was logical, IMO.

And I can’t see why different interpretations are that awful to create?!

As for HT that was not one more interpretation but whole different story, that was really unnecessary. And it’s also important to take into account that “different” version was on the album. When APWNN is on the Xscape in ALL its glory – full new version and the original.

I agree. This is the climax of the song and I find it difficult to believe that someone OKed it to be removed. I mean, seriously - it saved them, what, 15 seconds of running time? I'm not a fan of editing songs for radio any way, but when things like this happen it makes me hate radio edits even more. I get that if it's a long song, to get the attention of "the lay listener" it helps for it to be shorter, but I think it's disrespectful to edit songs for radio in a manner that removes from the message of the song. Sure, OK, take out a few bars of the intro if you REALLY have to, but NEVER remove actual lyrical content. Especially the climax of the story(?!). I just can't comprehend it. :doh:

Probably I'm a bit late but I just realized they left out this part from the video version:

So then I went in my pocket took my wallet on out
With my pictures of my family and girl
This is the place that you choose to be with me
When you thought you could be in another world

I understand that sometimes songs need to be edited for video and to be a single, but this is a crucial part of the song, without it it has a totally different meaning. This is the punchline so to speak, the whole moral of the story that gives it depth.

I absolutely hated it when they tried to make the sad and socially critical story of Hollywood Tonight into some Hollywood success story. Now, they are doing this to APWNN as well. I really really hate this. I find it very disrespectful. As if they are saying "we do not care whatever moral story Michael wanted to tell in a song, let's make it as light weight for mass consumption as possible".

Agreed- that is the point that the entire song is building up to. But does it really matter? I mean, the video didn't follow the story line of the lyrics (and I know, I followed the conversation, I know videos don't have to do that, and not all of Michael's videos always followed the lyrics)... so, I guess maybe the message is that the lyrics aren't important?

I agree nothing should have been remove their could have done the whole song the video is 4:23 and on the cd it is 5:30 or so. There was no verses remove from LNFSG so why remove a verse from APWNN?

Agreed- that is the point that the entire song is building up to. But does it really matter? I mean, the video didn't follow the story line of the lyrics (and I know, I followed the conversation, I know videos don't have to do that, and not all of Michael's videos always followed the lyrics)... so, I guess maybe the message is that the lyrics aren't important?

I agree with what you are saying too. It is important to hear all of the words in a song you want to pictures this story in you head. Michael tell a story in all of his songs and to take out a verse you feel like you are missing part of the story it is not complete.

To tell you the true i really had a hard time following this story i love the In The Closet that one of my favor short film but something was missing here. Some of the video did follow the song and some did not. Maybe it is just me.

Last edited:
I didn't mind myself. I think It fit the vision the directer had for the video better. That verse would have been out of place in that story line because it wasn't in a fantasy world setting so much and their were sexual overtones. . So it would have looked like he was being unfaithful in the video story line . In a fantasy exscape world not so much.

Plus we do get all the lyrics on the album and single mp3 from the album. So it's not like they are trying to remove or hide them from us or anyone. I think It was just a liberty the director took for the video and I really don't see any moral issue with doing that. We have the complete song published.

Last edited:
I didn't mind myself. I think It fit the vision the directer had for the video better.
But should the song be adapted to fit the director's vision, or should the director adapt his vision to fit the song? At the end of the day, it's Michael's name that this video is released under and associated with, so I'd say definitely the latter.

On top of that, the director's vision was, imo, dreadfully uninspiring. This song's lyrics lend itself to many fascinating interpretations. To me, a guy picking up a girl in the desert and frollicking around with her at a beach, interspersed with some clips of MJ, is about as underwhelming as it can get. It is indeed similar to how Teddy Riley turned Hollywood Tonight from a dark, cautionary tale into a superficial success story.

It just feels like these people think they have to dumb down both Michael's music and the stories/messages in his songs in order to appeal to the mainstream.

But should the song be adapted to fit the director's vision, or should the director adapt his vision to fit the song? At the end of the day, it's Michael's name that this video is released under and associated with, so I'd say definitely the latter.

Exactly what I wanted to say. It's Michael's name on these products so it's the director who should try to make the video fit his concept, not the other way around: Michael's lyrics and message being butchered just to fit into some superficial concept by a director. It seems to me that sometimes even fans lose sight of what and who this should be about.

And I agree with you about the rest as well. I actually welcomed the video at first, but I realize now that was just because it was a slight improvement compared to the bad posthumus videos so far. But a couple of days later I'm really pissed at how Michael's vision, concept and ideas are once again completely overlooked and changed. I don't know why it's so hard for his Estate/Sony to respect him as an artist.

Not sure why the Estate and Sony are to blame here. It's the director's job I believe. IMO I don't believe this has anything to do with disrespecting him, just shortening the long song.

Back