Why didn't Michael get a Co-Producer credit on the back of the Thriller album?

analogue

Proud Member
Right now i have a copy of the Thriller album in my hand and on the back of album it just says ''Produced by Quincy Jones'' but then when i look at the credits on the inside of the album sleeve in small print it says ''Produced by Quincy Jones and Co-Produced by Michael Jackson''

Why is this? Did Michael not wanna make a big deal about himself being Co-Producer on Thriller?

That was on the later printings. I have a Thriller from when it was originally released and it has no Michael production credit anywhere on the album, just Quincy. It also contains the original lyrics for Billie Jean and Lady In My Life and the extra Vincent Price verse on Thriller because the lyric sheet was printed before they had to remix the album and shorten those songs. Later pressings had the cut version lyrics.

This was before Michael created MJJProductions. By the time the BAD album came out, MJ was much more in charge of his life thanks to the success of Thriller which enabled him to purchase the ATV catalogue and created other business such as MJJProductions.

Through this Michael also took more control over his next album which is why he has Co-Producer credits on BAD.

On reissues of Thriller, Michael had Co-Producer credit attached. Perhaps while making Thriller, MJ had QJ on a higher platform, where as after the success of Thriller, MJ felt he was on a higher platform than on Thriller. Michael later made more executive decisions. QJ didnt want Smooth Criminal, MJ did.

Back