Why did 90's soul and R&B artists like 3T, Jodeci, Silk, H-Town, Shai, Next, etc. just fade away?

Agent M

Proud Member
Why did 90's soul and R&B artists like 3T, Jodeci, Silk, H-Town, Shai, Next, etc. just fade away?

I was wondering why 90's soul and R&B artists/groups like 3T, Jodeci, Silk, Shai, Next, H-Town, Montell Jordan, etc. just fade away?

I always thought they would have a longer shelf life than boy bands like NSync, 98 Degrees, LFO, etc., but apparently not.

The only exceptions I can think of, in their respective categories, are BSB and Boys II Men, and they are no where near as big as they were in their heyday.

Last edited:
Re: Why did 90's soul and R&B artists like 3T, Jodeci, Silk, H-Town, Shai, Next, etc. just fade away

I feel so young lol I don't remember any of these

I'm going to check them out

(Sorry I couldn't answer your question)

Re: Why did 90's soul and R&B artists like 3T, Jodeci, Silk, H-Town, Shai, Next, etc. just fade away

I don't know how it faded out... but I really miss those days. :( I just remember I started hearing more punk and Top 40s/One Hit Wonder songs playing in the earliesh-mid '00s. Then rap became the new pop. :smilerolleyes:

I was wondering why 90's soul and R&B artists/groups like 3T, Jodeci, Silk, Shai, Next, H-Town, Montell Jordan, etc. just fade away?

I always thought they would have a longer shelf life than boy bands like NSync, 98 Degrees, LFO, etc., but apparently not.

The only exceptions I can think of, in their respective categories, are BSB and Boys II Men, and they are no where near as big as they were in their heyday.

From what I understand Jodeci work behind the scenes now with writing and producing.

The group Silk is still together but haven't came out with anything. One of the members is in one of Tyler Perry's play "Madea's Family Reunion".

The group Next are currently recording and doing shows in selected cities. They are now signed to Music World Entertainment which is home to Beyonce, Solange & Destiny's Child. RL & T-Low are still in the group as well as new comer Deponce(who replaced Tweety) their new album "Next, Lies & Videotapes" will be available soon.

H-Town still tours and perform. In 2003 they lost one of their members in a tragic car accident.

Montell Jordan is strill recording as well. He released an album in 2008 called Let It Rain

"Gangsta rap" came on the scene and pretty much shut all of that down. It really is a shame the early 90s was probably the best time in R&B music.. new jack swing, all that stuff... I listen to that stuff now more than I listen to anything the kids are putting out today..

UUuuummm... Gangsta' Rap was pretty much intertwined with those R&B groups. I remember listening to Tupac, Biggie, and Bone Thugs ALONG with 3T, Jodeci, Kci & Jojo, Next, LSG, 112, etc. Loved ALL of it. R&B pretty much reigned until the early 00s, and then the One Hit Wonders started spewing out. I really wish R&B would make a MAJOR comeback. *sigh*

I didn't really like any of that. At the time I listened to groups/singers that made more traditional R&B like Brand New Heavies, Jamiroquai, Sade, Chante' Moore, Tony Toni Tone', & El DeBarge. Other than that, I was listening to dance pop rather than New Jack. Stuff like C&C Music Factory, Cathy Dennis, Gerardo, Sheena Easton, Madonna, Technotronic, etc. But I am a big fan of En Vogue, I guess they might be included in that group. I also liked Color Me Badd.

I would give anything for the 90s to come back. :sleep:

90's were so fun! I loved the 90's music, now it's all trash! And the videos, became from creative to crap.

I forgot to mention Dru Hill. Thank you everyone who replied to my question. I appreciate your feedback. It's a shame that those artists, for the most part, weren't able to sustain the success they had.

I would give anything for the 90s to come back. :sleep:

WORD! Gawd... why does music have to suck so hard these days??? What happened to all the novelty?! I seriously hope the next decade will be a LOT better! This decade sucked ass!! I want my future children to grow up around great music just like I did--not the trash of today!! :ranting

WORD! Gawd... why does music have to suck so hard these days??? What happened to all the novelty?! I seriously hope the next decade will be a LOT better! This decade sucked ass!! I want my future children to grow up around great music just like I did--not the trash of today!! :ranting

tell me about it....now it's all the same, just pretty people with no talent whatsoever

I also wonder if it's just me because I'm getting older. Like I'm just sounding like my parents or something. :p But it really seems like I'm definitely not the only one who feels this way. I mean... I've noticed that even the younger kids are still holding on and listening to all the older stuff from the 80s and 90s. I wasn't really listening to music from the 60s and 70s growing up... I was happy with the current music that was playing. HHHhhhhmmmmmm.....

Was there another decade in Music history where everything just sucked? The 30s maybe because of The Great Depression? I really just hope and pray that this decade was just a glitch in Music history, and things will get better. One can always dream.

Last edited:

^^^^The only way that will happen if computers are destroyed and more pepole learn how to play an instrument like the older acts.

I feel so young lol I don't remember any of these

And now I feel old.

I don't think boy bands had a much longer run; they were big 1998-2001 but faded away quickly.

Well, those years were still some of the best years of my life. Also, R&B groups were big WAY before '98, because I graduated High School in '97... and my friends and I were listening to them LONG before we graduated. Unless you're just talking about The Backstreet Boys, N' Sync, etc... then yeah... they were pretty short-lived. They were all just okay, IMO... but I liked them a LOT more than todays' 'groups.' It's all just manufactured/collaberated crap nowadays, seriously.

/rant :p

Last edited:

I grew up in the 90's and definately remember those r&b groups like Boyz II Men, Jodeci, H-Town, Shai, Silk, etc. Those were the good days. Man, I sound like my parents -___-

I think one of the reasons music sucks today is because the industry is so focused on public image. Sometimes when I watch shows like "Diddy's making the band take 60 jillion" I notice how much they DON'T focus on the quality of music (or the quality of the voices) because they're too fixated on weight/looks/image. The priorites are all wrong. Sometimes I wonder: If the members of, say, Boyz II Men auditioned for one of Diddy's bands, would they make it to the finals? I honestly don't think they would because people in today's industry don't care about raw talent. They just care about whose the most marketable to make a quick buck.

That said, I remember I attended a seminar earlier this year where I got to meet Britney Spear's image consultant. This was back when I wanted to work within the music industry. But after this seminar I realized I wanted nothing to do with it because they don't care at ALL about the art. It's just about a product. That's why I think R&B today sucks major. Because they bypass people who have potential for mediocre young pretty kids with limited talent, all because they can sell a few records. Maybe that's harsh, but dang, I miss good music.

I was listening to my 90's playlist on my Ipod today, and I noticed something. Groups don't seem to harmonize like they used to. Like Boyz II Men, SWV, Jade, En Vogue. All those groups harmonized and they were awesome! Now it's just synthesizers and those annoying voice-thingies that Kanye and T-Pain use -_____-

Back in the 90s there one of the boy bands that really love like N'sync, BSB & En Vogue. I can really tell them thier music, but right now we have carppy music that gets on my neves! but I really miss the 90s music.

That said, I remember I attended a seminar earlier this year where I got to meet Britney Spear's image consultant. This was back when I wanted to work within the music industry. But after this seminar I realized I wanted nothing to do with it because they don't care at ALL about the art. It's just about a product. That's why I think R&B today sucks major. Because they bypass people who have potential for mediocre young pretty kids with limited talent, all because they can sell a few records. Maybe that's harsh, but dang, I miss good music.

These artists are products, sold to the public in mass qualities to make money. Once something takes off with the public (boy bands, gangsta rap, west coast rap, autotune etc.) the record company execs look for similar products to sell to the public. It's not about talent, it's about how they can make this "thing" similar to that other "thing" so that the public wont be able to tell the difference and buy buy buy. Why do you think we have so many folks hit the scene, only to have maybe one or two hits then disappear into the shadows forever. Puff is FAMOUS for that. Oh! Lemme show yall something...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9TlVZ2a9m8

I saw this and cracked UP it was the funniest thing I'd seen in a LONG time but ssooo true!

I'd encourage all my 90s heads to listen to some folks who are making good music independently of these big record labels, they could use the support.

ETA: The video does have some cursing in it and makes reference to 3T. Not in a bad, way, actually in a funny way. But I just wanted to give you an FYI before clicking on the link...

Last edited:

Why do you think we have so many folks hit the scene, only to have maybe one or two hits then disappear into the shadows forever. Puff is FAMOUS for that. Oh! Lemme show yall something...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9TlVZ2a9m8

I saw this and cracked UP it was the funniest thing I'd seen in a LONG time but ssooo true!

LOL!! I saw that video a while ago and it still cracks me up. It's hilarious, but true. Puffy aka P-diddy, aka Diddy is poison lol. He and other people in today's music industry just care about selling a product that can seel in huge, quick spurts, but the problem is they don't have the longevity-factor.

I was cracking up when the comedian guy was like "Day 26? What's that mean? how many days you done gone without getting paid?" Or when he thought that B5 were Tito's kids. *dead of laughter*

But that reminds me, there's this awesome documentary that was made around 2006 called "Before The Music Dies" and it addresses this very issue we're discussing. You can find bits of it on youtube but I highly reccomending purchasing it!

here's a snippet of Erykah Badu talking about the industry. It's on point and hilarious to boot! (there's some language):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92GM851j20k

Man I love Boyz II Men. They have so many great love songs out there.

But yeah I miss those days so much. Guys like Donell Jones - You Know What's Up and Next's - Too Close are such classics. I can listen to those all the time. I actually never heard about Shai until two months ago. Their song "If I Ever Fall In Love" is great.

Yeah, I still think that out of all the mainstream stuff, there are still artists today that have some talent. The record companies aren't interested in them unless they have a pretty face, or are marketable to the audience that the artist can attract.

Although mainstream music most of the time today sucks . And as to the question at hand. I don't think that those have faded away, they are just more low profile, there are also artist that just didn't want to be in the music business and want to raise a family in peace.

I am so glad that the original poster made this thread. I LOVE THE 90's. I miss the R&B music and some rap so much. For me, nothing is never going to beat old skool but the 90's r&b is is what contemporary r&b is suppose to sound like. Its far better than the mess out today. Today's r&b does not even sound like r&b. All the artists are the same and there is no originalality. I love all of them, Boys II Men, Jodeci, Dru Hill, En Vogue, SWV,Silk, Next even Bone thugs etc... bring back the 90's!!!!

I love the early 90's pop and R&B. I still listen to it every now and then.

Although mainstream music most of the time today sucks . And as to the question at hand. I don't think that those have faded away, they are just more low profile, there are also artist that just didn't want to be in the music business and want to raise a family in peace.

I definately agree with you :)
Sometimes I catch myself in a nostaligic frame of mind thinking that there's no more good music out there, but that's not the case. It's just that good music isn't widely promoted. We have to search deeper for it, so it's harder to find. But it's surely out there!

I like pandora.com

That's how I find out about all the artists and songs that are both new and old that I'd never would have been made aware of before. I still wish good music would be played more heavily on the radio, though :/

Yeah, I wonder why :rolleyes:

OMG I loved the 90's RnB. Even though it wasn't a big deal over here in Finland but I was listening to Rick Dees and otheres on radio every week and I loved the stuff.. and suddenly they gone.
3T, I think only some MJ fans over here knew about them. Their albums were hard to find.
Now we got some lady gaga, WTF!:no:

Back