Who Was The Bigger Star At Their Peak And When Was Their Peak?

billyworld99

Proud Member
someone ask this question on prince.org which I found interesting

images

or

images

i was born yet when janet was in her prime so i can't say with beyonce i know she was everywhere from tours to award shows, movies, commericals, but to these who follow both of their careers what do u think

:shifty: Sorry I got destracted by the first picture, what was the question again?

Janet. She had much more of a pop cultural impact. I'd say her absolute peak was in 1993/4.

I Think Janet is mainly an U.S. Superstar, sure she had success in other countries along with her worldwide tours but her charts hits and album sales wasn't skyrocketing there. Most of all her acheivements occured in America such as having ten #1 singles, third female artist with the most top ten hits (27), only artist in billboard having seven top five hits, most of albums salescome from U.S. but i will say Rhyhm Nation 1814 album and the together again signles was huge internationally but she wasn't really a dominate music figure globally but nonetheless she was still a big influential star but I think Beyonce is the international star of the two b/c she had huge success in U.S., Brazil, U.K., and Australia but that's because her team branded her name in big filmssuch as austin powers, the pink panther, dreamgirls, and the remake of a star is born, lots of endorsements, and etc

I Think Janet is mainly an U.S. Superstar, sure she had success in other countries along with her worldwide tours but her charts hits and album sales wasn't skyrocketing there. Most of all her acheivements occured in America such as having ten #1 singles, third female artist with the most top ten hits (27), only artist in billboard having seven top five hits, most of albums salescome from U.S. but i will say Rhyhm Nation 1814 album and the together again signles was huge internationally but she wasn't really a dominate music figure globally but nonetheless she was still a big influential star but I think Beyonce is the international star of the two b/c she had huge success in U.S., Brazil, U.K., and Australia but that's because her team branded her name in big filmssuch as austin powers, the pink panther, dreamgirls, and the remake of a star is born, lots of endorsements, and etc

Beyonce may have western appeal, but I wouldn't call her an international superstar, at least not in comparison to Janet.

Hmm... I don't know if this is a fair comparison. The music industry has changed so much since the 90's. I always feel like the stars in the 80's and the 90's made greater impacts. Back in the days, their album releases, video premiers and show appearances were more eventful. People sit tight in front of their TV sets to catch the performances. Everything was more exciting back then; thus, everything feels bigger. Nowadays, with the advancement in technology, everything seems to be so fragmanted.

I'm a 90's child. I definitely remember Janet's heydays. IMO, she's big internationally. She's very popular in Asia.

As much as I like Beyonce, I don't think anything she has done can be called original. I'm not saying she's a copy cat. But, she lacks the spark that Janet could ignite during her peak. I still think Beyonce is one of the best artists in her generation though.

What do you mean?

The US or The UK or worldwide?

Because thats huge and fundamental difference...

Beyonce as well as Gaga, Bieber and co. are the Internet artists of this generation, Janet, Michael and co. ... did not have the Internet possibilities... and thats incomparable.

What do you mean?

The US or The UK or worldwide?

Because thats huge and fundamental difference...

Beyonce as well as Gaga, Bieber and co. are the Internet artists of this generation, Janet, Michael and co. ... did not have the Internet possibilities... and thats incomparable.

I completely agree on this.Alot of people might feel more connected with todays artist just cos they have twitter,facebook,etc.This gives them more chance to promote wot they are doin whereas it wouldnt have been as easy in the 80's and 90's cos they things didnt exist...but u dont have to be on those sites for the artist to truly connect with u....U just have to look at Michael and everything he gave.......No one has had or will ever have the same affect on people the way Michael does and that for me speaks volumes.

I would say Janet not being biased or anything though lol.

Definitely Janet, at her peak there was no bigger female star, Madonna being very close. Her peak internationally was around the janet. and Velvet Rope era, however her peak in the US was the Rhythm Nation era.

Definitely Janet, at her peak there was no bigger female star, Madonna being very close. Her peak internationally was around the janet. and Velvet Rope era, however her peak in the US was the Rhythm Nation era.
I despise madoanna but shes always been bigger than janet.

Janet...back in the day. I missed her 'peak' really with the age that I am, I didn't experience that. Time will tell if Beyonce will keep this up for years and years, I guess it's been a while and I think she still has a lot to give. Her performances are really exciting imo.

For that reason I guess my opinion isn't really fair, to not have experienced them both properly.

I despise madoanna but shes always been bigger than janet.

I like Madonna, but I disagree there, Janet was more popular than Madonna in the 90's, in the 90's only Mariah was ranked as more successful than Janet and Janet only released 2 albums whereas Mariah released 7, Janet could easily have been the most successful artist in the 90's had she released as many.

Hmm...I'm not sure I'd agree that Janet has ever been bigger than Madonna.

I don't think any of them, either Janet or Beyonce were that big. When I read the title I didn't think about choosing between two artist.

Imo, there weren't bigger stars than Elvis Presley and The Beatles at the peak. Even though I'm not from their time, there wasn't any music phenomenon like the Elvis and the Beatles. Michael was huge in the early 80's alongside Madonna. Still nothing like those two.

Oh, haven't seen that thread on the org... I'm curious to see their answer.. I'll have a look :D

I haven't experienced Janet's peak at the beginning so I wouldn't be ablr to compare.. but technologies being very different today, I just can't have an idea.. what would Janet have been if there would have been Youtube then... and what would Bey have been if there wasn't...

Back