Who Is It - Should of been so much more

mikey82james

Proud Member
MJ pulled the video off the air - this single would of done better in uk i think if video was not pulled. by the time this was released in the usa only a made up mtv video was used so didnt do as well again in states as it should of done. this is mj's best song on dangerous

i love this song and the video. man its amazing...and you're right if the video would have aired it would of done alot better

was it "pulled"?

i'm trying to remember correctly...
i think Who Is It was a single first in the USA...
as a result of a quick decision after the Oprah interview
where MJ sung/beatboxed the song live.

so there was no real MJ video ready at the time.
(apart from a quickly done retroperspective sort of video)
i think when Who Is It came out in the USA ...the rest of the World had
Give In To Me as single...
Later when Who Is It was out internationally ...it came with the video.

maybe someone remembers more clearly...
but the video sure was not "pulled".

i love who is it, awesome song, and a simply amazing video, david fincher of fight club fame is a genius. Just one of those oddly unique and surreal videos that only michael can pull off. Would have been awesome to have seen mike to the song live, apart from his acapella with oprah, i cant imagine how he would have done it, possible only minor dance moves

Who' Is It is the best piece Michael has ever done, it so well written and composed that it scares me!

Who is it is amazing, it doesnt get enough attention imo its soooooooooooo amazing. You cant help but listen i've heard it so often sometimes I get tired of hearing it but I can never bring myself to change it on my mp3 or whatever it is really amazing.

MJ pulled the video off the air - this single would of done better in uk i think if video was not pulled. by the time this was released in the usa only a made up mtv video was used so didnt do as well again in states as it should of done. this is mj's best song on dangerous

Mikey82jams, in my opinion, Mr.Jackson regrets that he released it...wasn't his favorite...

*waits for Mo*

I wish MJ hadnt used a body double throughout most of the short film.

Who is it, the first Wii! ;)

Last edited:
the single was 4th single in uk and video was avialable for short period of time - usa got it in 93 we got in 92

Where's Mo_Rizwan???

Still didn't see this thread? Weird.

I love this song, it proves that Michael's work from 90's was a lot more mature in terms of lyrics and music composition. And THAT'S what matters more than having 10 number 1 hits on the album. Cause not everybody can understand the genius of some songs.

Who Is It is fantastic, one of MJ's best and most mature works. The song is great and also the video. However, they used a body double for most of the filming, because, apparently, MJ and David Fincher had a fall out somewhere during the video shoot and MJ refused to come back to the set. Don't know if it's really true, but the guy you see in the video isn't MJ most of the time. I think that's sad, because the video is really good, very dark, mysterious and intriguing. I have never understood why MJ agreed on doing the video with this particular story and then wasn't happy with it and wanted to pull it off the air.

I remember the 'Who Is It ??' Video being a fan contest on MTV. Viewers were asked to put together a video for the song, the winner was picked and it was used as the official video. :( I dont think that I have ever seen a different video ?? Is there an MJ video that I should be searching for :eek: !!?? OOOOO this is exciting :wild:

LOVE the Song, even loved it back then ... prior to being an actual fan, fan.

Last edited:
to me this is mj at his best. it is a mature grate song where the lyric and the music fit´s 100%. I just love it :)

Michael's hardly in the video for Who Is It. The shots for Michael in the car towards the end of the video, and if him getting on a plane is not Michael but impersonator E.Casonova according to an interview E.Casonova gave to MJNI magazine KING in the late 1990's.

I don't think Michael had time to finish the video because I think he was in rehearsals for the Dangerous Tour. The video has beautiful cinematography and would have been a brilliant video if Michael was in a lot more of it. But because he's not it quite a boring video, and I presume Michael pulled the video because it was boring.

I consider Who Is It to be one of Michael's hidden classics, because it didn't get the video performance from Michael that it deserved.

Too be honest, I don't see the big rush of fandom for this song. I think it's an excellent song, but not his greatest and I highly think it is overrated. You all say it is underrated, but this is the only song all of you guys think and or post about! I think 'Dangerous' the title-track is highly underrated.

the beat IMO is up there next to Billie Jean...that track is SERIOUSLY underrated!

I love Who is it
There is a lot more in that song that is "uncovered" to the general pubic..
so honest, so plain, so powerful

Interesting "secret"
What Madonna song was released parallel to Who is it?

If you know the answer have a listen to BOTH SONGS :doh:

I adore the song and the video (European Version that is). It's a shame "Who Is It" is so underrated as I think it's one of Michael's best songs ever (Just listen to that bassline!) and the lyrics are quite good too. Anyone ever listened to the acapella version of "Who Is It" though? Gah, Michael's voice is to die for in it! lol

I love Who is it
There is a lot more in that song that is "uncovered" to the general pubic..
so honest, so plain, so powerful

Interesting "secret"
What Madonna song was released parallel to Who is it?

If you know the answer have a listen to BOTH SONGS :doh:

What song was it?...I wanna listen!

Who' Is It is the best piece Michael has ever done, it so well written and composed that it scares me!

dito such an amazing song. the melody the strings the instrumental in the middle everything about that song screams calssic MJ. its songs like that they i dream mj could create again.

dug the song,but the video was really cool. I don't know what else he could have added to the cut,it was cool.

Agree, it's sad the man we see in the video isn't MJ most of the time...
Understand.....

I find Who Is It Boring.....

(Kidding) :D

But I do find the Video Boring.....

yeaah one of his best song in dangeroous, and i agree it should have been aired but ithink mike didnt have much time to be working on that project, like sometimes it wasent even mike on the video, you see where im going..

to me this is mj at his best. it is a mature grate song where the lyric and the music fit´s 100%. I just love it :)

this is my favorite michael song of all time!

Nothing to add to this.

they used a body double for most of the filming, because, apparently, MJ and David Fincher had a fall out somewhere during the video shoot and MJ refused to come back to the set. Don't know if it's really true, but the guy you see in the video isn't MJ most of the time. I think that's sad, because the video is really good, very dark, mysterious and intriguing. I have never understood why MJ agreed on doing the video with this particular story and then wasn't happy with it and wanted to pull it off the air.

I thought the body double had just been used for the end of the video...

Back