who is in a creative rut?

mistermaxxx

Proud Member
you just feel that so and so can't get out of the funk they been in

and you don't hear any end in sight? who been stuck in a rut for a while now?

Hmm, Rod Stewart has released 4 covers albums in a row (and has had the same hairdo for 30 years, lol). Michael McDonald has 3 in a row.

There are many that come to mind. But the 2 that immediately pop out for me are Usher and Janet. They have recent songs that are okay, but in r/t the potential I think they possess, just not feeling them. Honestly, it might be my age and the direction of music in recent years. Perhaps I will never feel the same way about anything after having lived through the music of the late 60's, and then the 70's, and to some degree, the 80's and 90's.

While I admit to not listening to music as I used to, what I have heard just isn't getting it and perhaps never will. Locked into the older stuff may be my problem, and not that of younger people of this generation.

Janet is definately in a commercial rut. I actually enjoyed Discipline but it doesn't appear as if she'll ever had a big hit on the radio again.

All because of a nipple. It's so absurd.

Janet is definately in a commercial rut. I actually enjoyed Discipline but it doesn't appear as if she'll ever had a big hit on the radio again.

All because of a nipple. It's so absurd.

She can still have a hit, it just has to be an amazingly good song..Where as other artists can pass off mediocrity. As for the incident from 2004...well, yeah it is absurd because plenty of artists today have shown WAY more..

Feedback was a great track, much better than half of what's in the charts today. Mainstream radio wouldn't touch it though.

I fear the future is bleak for Janet. I will always support her and of course she will always have an audience, but it's been ten long years since her last major hit single and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Prince hasn't done anything outside of his comfort zone since 2001. He's still writing good songs, but he seems to be playing it very safe these days. It's a little bit of a dull time to be a Prince fan right now.
He changed his style after he joined the JW's.

I think a lot of Prince fans have unrealistic expectations of him. The very fact that he's remained as prolific as he has after three decades in the industry is amazing.

Colonized Mind is as good as anything he's released in the past. You can't expect something groundbreaking from him with every album.

I think Madonna needs to stop making the Eurodisco albums and go back to making catchy dance pop tunes.

There's no glory in being prolific if half of what you put out there is garbage.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Just because half of what he releases is "garbage" to you, it doesn't necessarily mean that other people feel the same way.

I think Madonna needs to stop making the Eurodisco albums and go back to making catchy dance pop tunes.

Oh I wish she did too... I used to love her music, but I can't listen to her current stuff.

Another one is Bon Jovi, most of their albums nowadays (IMO) sound as if they were made to the same generic stadium rock formula.

Mariah Carey
she seems to care more about the way she looks on stage like, constantly checking herself saying to herself "Do I look young enough, cute enough, sexy enough?" rather than just singing as a grown ass woman should. She's too concerned about looking and sounding like a singing doll both on live stage and album recordings. Not much life in her music.

Mary J. Blige
her vocal style has been showing more of its weakness than its strong point. When she was singing on heavy hiphop beats in the 90s, it worked. It was def. something "real and gritty" to go with dark, "urban" sound. But for these several years, the limit of her vocal repertoire has been showing. If she can't find the right songs to fit her voice color and complement her vocal style, we'll probably hear more covers and remakes from her.

Brian McKnight
a bunch of middle-of-the-road love songs

Back