Who has the best falsetto? Maxwell or D'angelo?

BONGANI

Proud Member
I was having an argument with a friend and he seems to be of the opinion that D'angelo sings better than Maxwell in falsetto. I totally disagree!! I just got myself a copy of Maxwell's unplugged album and I can say without doubt that Maxwell has the best falsetto I've ever heard!
He does it so effortlessly that it even starts to sound like its his normal speaking voice. Another thing that amazez me is how he can just switch back to his normal voice and go back to falsetto without any grit or any other give away in his voice.
D'angelo's falsetto is also killa but I feel there's too much layering in his studio vocals which gets hard to duplicate when he sings live. For that reason Maxwell gets the upper hand..
However I'm crazy about both artists..:(

hmm i've never really compared the two in that way, but since i like D'Angelo better and listen to him much more, the answer will be biased lol though comparing the two objectively, it's a toss up. Max's This Woman's Work can compete with any one of D's tunes. they're both so smooth.

i'd also consider their contemporary, Bilal, who holds his own with different, more gritty falsetto.

140hxc4.jpg

Soul Sista

How Come You Don't Call Me

I like D'Angelo's individual songs better overall, but Maxwell has a bigger body of work I enjoy more. Maxwell definitely has the better falsetto in my mind. D'Angelo can scream or sing lightly in his falsetto, Maxwell can belt in his. Listen to "Lifetime" or the end of "Fortunate".

Last edited:
I'm gonna agree with everyone else here. I happen to really love D'Angelo's music much more. But I think Maxwell might have the clearer falsetto.

I'm glad we agree, I'm so blown away with Maxwell's falsetto that I even think its better than Michael's. I know thats a huge statement to make because Michael's falsetto is not to be messed with but after listening to that unplugged album Maxwell is my number 1 falsetto vocalist.

I'm glad we agree, I'm so blown away with Maxwell's falsetto that I even think its better than Michael's. I know thats a huge statement to make because Michael's falsetto is not to be messed with but after listening to that unplugged album Maxwell is my number 1 falsetto vocalist.

I'd pick Phillip Bailey over Maxwell.

D'Angelo for me. Maxwell's music feels kinda hollow to me, it doesn't bring me back for more. D'Angelo to me is on another level...just wish he would put out more music.

Like everyone else, I prefer D'Angelo's body of works than Maxwell so I guess I'm bias.... :p

I ADORE them both..I love D'Angelo a little better than Maxwell..I heard he's coming back with an album this year..I CANT WAIT!!

But in terms of who sing Falsetto better, It's Maxwell..His unplugged album is great and his voice on there is BEAUTIFUL!!

Thats hard because they both can sing in falsetto. I enjoy both of their music but I guess I'll go with Maxwell with the better falsetto. I would not give Maxwell the title of having the best falsetto however lol because there are alot of people I can name better than him but he IS good no doubt.

My pick is Maxwell. "This Woman's Work" is the reason why. I don't think D'Angelo would be able to sing that song the way Max did.

Maxwell gets my vote, but they're both good. Listen to his "Somethin' Somethin'" remix from the "Love Jones" soundtrack. It's pretty obvious that they learned a little something from Prince in this department.

Back