Who coined the title, 'This is it'!?

AngelWings

Proud Member
Was it something Michael thought up on the day or was it coined already? I have been meaning to ask this ever since he said it.

I recently read that Michael actually wrote a song during the 'Thriller' era with the title of 'This Is It'. I think he had resurrected the song and that is why the concert tour was named that.

Hmm. . . Wonder if that is the new single title then?

This Is It was meant to refer to people taking the Earth to it's breaking point. Aka, this is it, our last chance to help the Earth. The tour was supposed to promote the idea of helping the planet.

Since the posters n stuff were made already before the conference,I duobt it was a spare of the moment thing

There is a quote from an interview in magic and madness when he is talking about performing..

'When I get out onstage, I open up and I have no problems. Whatever is happening in my life doesn't matter. I'm up there and cuttin' loose and I say to myself 'This is it. This is home. This is exactly where I'm supposed to be, where God meant for me to be.''

.. This is it - this is the place to be..

Or that it was going to be his final performances. Literally - This is it. This is all.

Or it could be to do with the earth.. is that for sure? I know he did have a big message for us about that.

Or perhaps it could be the song..

Who knows..?!

Last edited:
I've read several times it's because of the song, but I guess it's probably a combination of things.

Was it something Michael thought up on the day or was it coined already? I have been meaning to ask this ever since he said it.

Michael obviously agreed to the self destruct title but I believe it was coined from the people who planned his HOMICIDE over the last 20 years, thats why I will NEVER where "1" garment thats says "This Is It", for what ? to rub Michael's Homicide in EVERYONE's face and make it more Comfortable by wearing their BLOOD MONEY GARMENTS manufactured by their own self title website MichaelJacksonLive.Com since his SELFMADE ESTATE EXECUTORS have the right to use his name anyway they want to now and no doubt being paid for with Michael's own Estate Money. Like another poster said it costed Michael his LIFE and even though he had told
La Toya "they where going to MURDER him", the people whom he thought was going to Murder him only stood in the shadows and sent AEG in to setup everything up for Michael Jackson's "THIS IS IT" Final show in LIFE even before the stage show was ever going to take place, they set Michael up by using what he LOVED most Performing for his fans they knew from the beginning it was a Hoax, if This wasnt so Sad and Tragic this would be humorous and I personally resent them for using Michael Jackson's Fan Grief to profit even more on his HOMICIDE; I must say Michael Jackson Murderers you planned and carried out a Perfect Murder Except for ........................, if it wasnt for that you would have gotten completely away.

The Love of MONEY is the Root of Evil.

hahah I love it...Every single post has a different answer...as with so many things..there is no clear cut right answer...grrrr

This Is It was meant to refer to people taking the Earth to it's breaking point. Aka, this is it, our last chance to help the Earth. The tour was supposed to promote the idea of helping the planet.

I read on another forum where someone had heard Michael Bearden on the radio day after MJ died ,he said This is it meant this was our last chance to heal the planet with the message love and unity, because of troubles in the world and the destruction of the earth and rainforests etc and I do resonate with this.

But I guess it could also have another meaning for the reason mjwhoisit says.

Last edited:
Kenny Loggins and Michael McDonald wrote a fabulous song and one of my favorites called "This is it" in 1979. That's the first time I heard the phrase coined.

This Is It is just a phrase... I don't think it's necessarily been coined by anyone in itself

But there might be famous people who have said it before or famous contexts... however, it will always be associated with Michael now.

He was clever like that, so many seemingly regular things became magical and gathered different meaning when associated with him.

Although hearing it makes me sad :( this is not a context that I like...

Its a crap name if u asked me, self disctruction heading and i agree with MJWHOISIT about i will never wear anything with THIS IS IT on it.

This is shit more like
thats the first thing i said when i came out of the conference and now look, yep this is shit alright

There is a quote from an interview in magic and madness when he is talking about performing..

'When I get out onstage, I open up and I have no problems. Whatever is happening in my life doesn't matter. I'm up there and cuttin' loose and I say to myself 'This is it. This is home. This is exactly where I'm supposed to be, where God meant for me to be.''

.. This is it - this is the place to be..

Or that it was going to be his final performances. Literally - This is it. This is all.

Or it could be to do with the earth.. is that for sure? I know he did have a big message for us about that.

Or perhaps it could be the song..

Who knows..?!

aaww...well I really kinda hope that the first one is true..it would be so Michael to say something like that..:yes:....thank you for sharing..

I have nice memories of the title, the day after he did the announcement on Thursday, the next day at school me and my friends were chanting This Is It all day :( memories :cry:

One. We didnt like it cause it would have been his last concert and 2.
we really dont like it now because of the indication of the title.
Lets face it, we've all put that together at some point or another.

Or we can choose to take it the way MJ really meant.

I never liked the "this is it" title. just doesnt sound right me.

Catches eyes because of what it said and meant, but still wasnt a very good title. Seemed cheap to me.

You are reading too much into it. He has used that phrase live many times as well.
It's probably something he found to be a powerful phrase.

The real meaning of "This is it" was to tell about the need of change the world:

This is the moment.... "this is our last chance to do something about the world and the environment before it is destroyed." This is it so we better do something.

And Michael sang background vocals to that song and Doobie Brothers "What a Fool Believes" as well.

Kenny Loggins and Michael McDonald wrote a fabulous song and one of my favorites called "This is it" in 1979. That's the first time I heard the phrase coined.

It could have many meanings...He could have many purposes for that title.
He said when he announced the concerts that "this is it..and when i say this is it, i really mean this is it" I don't remember the exact words, but something along those lines. But I also believe it could had the meaning with the earth...last chance and so on. He was as we all know, very engaged in that...and wanted to bring awareness. So it could mean a lot of things..dont you think..

Last edited:
You are reading too much into it. He has used that phrase live many times as well.
It's probably something he found to be a powerful phrase.
true but a bad feeling hit me when he said it. there was even talks about it on this board in March. it was catch 20/20 and all a coienciendence.

You're not the only one!

When I heard him say it, I was like why that title? I justy did'nt feel good about it and now that he has passed, we can all see that it was truly IT for Michael.

Its a crap name if u asked me, self disctruction heading and i agree with MJWHOISIT about i will never wear anything with THIS IS IT on it.

This is shit more like
thats the first thing i said when i came out of the conference and now look, yep this is shit alright

I'm sorry but I had to laugh at your title. I haven't heard that one before :clapping:

When I saw the video of the conference, I thought that Michael looked kind of annoyed. He liked that his fans were there, but when he said "This is it, OK?!" I interpreted it as him being annoyed that he had to perform AGAIN. Also I remember reading/seeing him say that he didnt want to die like James Brown, who was still performing up to his final days. So I think he really meant This is it: these are the last 10 (and not 50) shows and then I will really and definately retire. That is how I interpreted it at least. So I think he came up with the phrase.

Back