Whitney Houston - coming out with comeback album.

LindaC781

Proud Member
http://blogs.ajc.com/peachbuzz/2009...ews-whitney-houston-comeback/?cxntlid=thbz_hm

Clive Davis previews Whitney Houston comeback

9:28 am July 14, 2009, by Richard Eldredge
Whitney Houston

Music mogul Clive Davis appeared on “Good Morning America” Tuesday to preview Whitney Houston’s much-anticipated new album, “I Look to You” due out Sept. 1.
“You won’t forget it after you hear it,” Davis told “GMA” co-anchor Diane Sawyer. Not coincidentally, the ABC morning show has landed Houston’s comeback concert appearance this fall, timed to the release of the album, the first new studio project by the former Atlantan in seven years.
Davis, who discovered Houston 25 years ago, re-teamed with her two years ago to work on a comeback that will hopefully make fans forget about the tabloid headlines, her high-profile divorce from Bobby Brown and her, um, memorable cameos on the televised trainwreck “Being Bobby Brown.”
Of Houston’s new single, Davis previewed: “There’s a song on the album called ‘I Didn’t Know My Own Strength.’ And it really speaks for Whitney. She tumbled but she didn’t crumble.”
Even as the hype machine spins into overdrive for “I Look to You,” industry insiders wonder if those trademark Houston pipes, reportedly ravaged from years of abuse, remain intact for a comeback. In the age of the digital download, artists depend more heavily on touring for revenue than ever before.
And unlike Britney Spears, who has staged a successful comeback this year via the live spectacle “Circus” tour, Houston made her mark in music based on her amazing vocal prowess.
It’s doubtful that fans would plunk down top dollar in this economy for a lip-syncing Houston. Complicating matters further, a fresh generation of divas, led by Beyonce and Ciara, now dominate the spotlight. Even Houston’s 1980s peer Janet Jackson, with a top record producer like Jermaine Dupri at the helm, has recently encountered trouble re-gaining her “Control” era chart-topping numbers.
What’s your take? Are you booking a flight to New York City this fall to scream down front at the “GMA” Whitney Houston concert? Will you at least slide a copy of “I Look to You” into your cart while browsing the aisles of Target? Or have you musically moved on in 2009?

Whitney, Britney, and others. Please, let what happened to MJ be a warning to you also. You need to clean up your acts. Seriously. Get rid of those enablers in your lives. Get off any drugs you may be on. Or you could end up like MJ.

I know I am going to get flack for this, but fuck it. Someone has to say it. The TRUTH is OUT THERE. These people ALSO are not so famous that they aren't human.

I really love Whitney's music, so this is exciting for me. :)
But honestly, does she still have her voice?

And I agree with what you said. I'm not a Britney person, but something inside tells me that she won't live to be an old woman...I feel horrible for saying that.

XM Radio played the title song from her new album "I Look To You" yesterday. I forgot which channel. The Heat possibly?

She sounded great. Not as great as she used to obviously, but I enjoyed it. It was a ballad. I hope she has some dance hits too. I will always love "I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)" and "So Emotional"

I hope she does well, she has tough competition in Miley Cyrus and Whit's vocals and songs aren't a tenth as good as her last album.

Really, the reports say it was a disaster and she had to leave the stage because her voice didn't hold up.

Really, the reports say it was a disaster and she had to leave the stage because her voice didn't hold up.

I would not call it a disaster. Obviously her voice wasn't perfect, but she had amazing energy to make up for it. The performance of MDB was top quality, and My Love s Your Love was great. I Look to You, her voice sounded scratchy, like she had a sore throat.

I would not call it a disaster. Obviously her voice wasn't perfect, but she had amazing energy to make up for it. The performance of MDB was top quality, and My Love s Your Love was great. I Look to You, her voice sounded scratchy, like she had a sore throat.

I love Whitney and wish her the best. I really hope it was just vocal fatigue and that she truly still is capable of singing live.

I like Whitney's Houstons songs she sang in the past, but I'm sorry, it's not fair. Michael should have gotten a chance to have his own comeback too.
:(

I love Whitney and wish her the best. I really hope it was just vocal fatigue and that she truly still is capable of singing live.

I think she can still sing great live. But belting out those long "YOOOOOUUUUU" could cause problems.

Whitney's album is number one on the charts. Love the album, but didn't expect it to hit the top to be honest. So proud. :D

They showed part one of Whitney's interview with Oprah today. It was interesting. A lot of it had to do with Bobby Brown. She said at one point that she had no interest in being "Whitney Houston" or singing.

The Oprah interview was very good and moving too. I couldn't believe when she said that Bobby Brown once spat in her face! Disguting. Whitney's no angel herself but she wasn't painting herself as such, and I felt bad for her when she spoke about what Bobby did. There was such hurt there when she spoke of that incident. I think they did love eachother though but they are really better off apart.

Whitney really is better off. She's one of my favorites and i'm glad she's moving on and trying to rebuild her life and career.

Back