Which thumb goes on top?

mjbunny

Proud Member
Ok, highly weird question. Years ago I read that when you fold your hands together (like when you're holding someone else's hand, fingers between fingers), the thumb that ends up on top is something genetically determined. So far I'm the only right-handed person I've found that puts their left thumb on top always, lolol. Just wondering about people here... am I still the only weirdo?

So me...
Right/Left Handed: Right
Thumb on top: Left

Well, I just read online that the left-on-top gene is dominant, so in theory most people should have that regardless of being left or right handed. Interesting that I surround myself offline with so many recessive-gened folks then :lol:

(If you don't know what I mean, fold you hands like this http://www.christian-myspace-layouts.com/backgrounds/previews/praying-hands-bathing-light.jpg )

Last edited:
I'm right handed and put my left thumb on top as well, so you are not alone :D

Yay, another ;) Cool. Yeah, everyone else I know that I've asked it's like right-right or left-left, lol.

Loool, same for me....right-handed and left on top! ;) (Hmm...with the right thumb on top it feels weird.)

Right handed, left on top for me, I never even noticed that before. :) I just tried it with the right on top but it feels awkward lol.

I'm also right handed and put the left thumb on top :lol:

^ My sister's a lefty, so there's at least one other in the world :lol:

I remembered a pic from around '93 with MJ having his hands folded like this and so I dug it up in my scrapbooks and it's from the side so you can't tell well, but from the position of his thumb it looks like he was a typical left thumb on top person ;) (What a goofy bit of trivia.) Wish I could find the pic online. It's from the famous GQ article "Was Michael Jackson Framed?" ... he's wearing a purple shirt. It's gotta be somewhere.

im right handed and put my left thumb on top too :) putting my right thumb on top feels really weird for me lol

does it work the same way with crossing your legs? coz i like crossing my left leg over the right one

does it work the same way with crossing your legs? coz i like crossing my left leg over the right one
Good question, lol. I'm left thumb on top, but when I cross my legs I put my right on top, so opposite.

Back