Which songs did Michael do Background Vocals on?

Gonetoosoon

Proud Member
Does anyone have a list of such songs or any ideas?

I love hearing Michael's voice in any form.. His background vocals are by far the most beautiful IMO.

I know he's on 'To Satisfy You' by Bryan Loren. And obviously he features prominently on 3T's hit 'Why'. Others hanging around on Youtube include 'Ride With Me' with Rodney Jerkins..

Anyone got any others from over the years?

Thanks with L.O.V.E :wub:

Does anyone have a list of such songs or any ideas?

I love hearing Michael's voice in any form.. His background vocals are by far the most beautiful IMO.

I know he's on 'To Satisfy You' by Bryan Loren. And obviously he features prominently on 3T's hit 'Why'. Others hanging around on Youtube include 'Ride With Me' with Rodney Jerkins..

Anyone got any others from over the years?

Thanks with L.O.V.E :wub:

I know what you mean :) Michael's background vocals are just amazing!! :wub:

I hope there are more :)

He's on 3T song 'I Need You' right at the end :D

There's quite a lot, he features on Whatzupwitu (with Eddie Murphy) obviously and he and Jermaine are in Rockwell's song Somebody's Watching Me, he also does background vocals in the Stevie Wonder song All I Do, he also did a little ad libs in Don't Stand Another Chance from one of Janet's earlier albums, there's quite a few more he does.

i would also love to know this list. i to love michaels backgrounding lol. He was on Diana Ross's Eaten Alive.

With Jackson 5

You Haven't Done Nuthin' - Stevie Wonder (FULFILLINGNESS' FIRST FINALE)
Didn't I (Blow Your Mind This Time) - Jackie Jackson (JACKIE JACKSON)
Do I Owe - Jackie Jackson (JACKIE JACKSON)
Does Your Mama Know About Me - Jermaine Jackson (COME INTO MY LIFE)
So In Love - Jermaine Jackson (COME INTO MY LIFE)
You're In Good Hands - Jermaine Jackson (COME INTO MY LIFE)
Escape From The Planet Of The Ant Men - Jermaine Jackson (DYNAMITE/JERMAINE JACKSON)
That's How Love Goes - Jermaine Jackson (JERMAINE)

As solo artist

Be A Lion - The Wiz All Stars (THE WIZ)
A Brand New Day - The Wiz All Stars (THE WIZ)
What A Fool Believes - The Doobie Brothers (MINUTE BY MINUTE)
Minute By Minute - The Doobie Brothers (MINUTE BY MINUTE)
Who's Right, Who's Wrong - Kenny Loggins (KEEP THE FIRE)
Save Me - Dave Mason (OLD CRESCENT ON A NEW WAVE)
All I Do - Stevie Wonder (HOTTER THAN JULY)
Night Time Lover - La Toya Jackson (LA TOYA JACKSON) *also produces and wrote the song
I'm In Love Again - Minnie Riperton (LOVE LIVES FOREVER) *virtual duet
This Had To Be - The Brothers Johnson (LIGHT UP THE NIGHT) *also co-writes the song
Just Friends - Carole Bayer Sager (SOMETIMES LATE AT NIGHT)
The Dude - Quincy Jones (THE DUDE)
Goin' Back To Alabama - Kenny Rogers (SHARE YOUR LOVE)
State Of Independence - Donna Summer (DONNA SUMMER)
Muscles - Diana Ross (SILK ELECTRIC) *written and produced by Michael
Don't Let A Woman Make A Fool Out Of You - Joe 'King' Carrasco (SYNAPSE GAP (MUNDO TOTAL))
So Shy - Bill Wolfer (WOLF)
Papa Was A Rollin' Stone - Bill Wolfer (WOLF)
Somebody's Watching Me - Rockwell (SOMEBODY'S WATCHING ME)
Centipede - Rebbie Jackson (CENTIPEDE) *also written, composed and arranged by Michael
Don't Stand Another Chance - Janet Jackson (DREAM STREET)
Love Never Felt So Good - Johnny Mathis (A SPECIAL PART OF ME) *only written by Michael, no background vocals
Behind The Mask - Greg Phillinganes (PULSE) *only co-writer and producer, no background vocals
Eaten Alive - Diana Ross (EATEN ALIVE) *also wrote and produced by Michael
You're The One - Jennifer Holliday (SAY YOU LOVE ME) *also co-written by Michael
We Are Here To Change The World - Deniece Williams (AS GOOD AS IT GETS) *only co-written by Michael, no background vocals
Alright Now - Ralph Tresvant (RALPH TRESVANT) *only co-written by Michael, no background vocals
Do The Bartman - Nancy Cartwright (THE SIMPSONS SING THE BLUES) *also written by Michael
I Never Heard - Safire/Sa-Fire (I WASN'T BORN YESTERDAY) *only co-written by Michael, no background vocals (same lyrics as This Is It)
To Satisfy You - Bryan Loren (MUSIC FROM THE NEW WORLD)
Yeah - Eddie Murphy (LOVE'S ALRIGHT)
Right Here/Human Nature - SWV (IT'S ABOUT TIME) *samples Human Nature, no new vocals, very big hit
Joy - Blackstreet (BLACKSTREET) *only co-written by Michael, no background vocals
Quo Funk - Quo (QUO FUNK) *also samples This Place Hotel
I Need You - 3T (BROTHERHOOD)
Words Without Meanings - 3T (BROTHERHOOD) *only produced by Michael, no background vocals
Fly Away - Rebbie Jackson (YOURS FAITHFULLY) *also written by Michael
It's Not Worth It - Brandy (FULL MOON)
All I Do - Corey (I'M JUST COREY) *virtual duet
We Know What's Going On - Jackie Jackson *MJ speech heard during the end, not really background vocals

Unconfirmed

Here To Love You - The Doobie Brothers (THE DOOBIE BROTHERS)

Duets

Feelin' Alright (with Jackson 5) - Diana Ross (DIANA!)
Ease On Down The Road + 2nd and 3rd versions - The Wiz All Stars (THE WIZ)
Say Say Say - Paul McCartney (PIPES OF PEACE)
The Man - Paul McCartney (PIPES OF PEACE)
Tell Me I'm Not Dreamin' (Too Good To Be True) - Jermaine Jackson (JERMAINE JACKSON/DYNAMITE)
We Are The World - USA For Africa (WE ARE THE WORLD)
Get It - Stevie Wonder (CHARACTERS)
Whatzupwitu - Eddie Murphy (LOVE'S ALRIGHT)
Why - 3T (BROTHERHOOD)
Mind Is The Magic - Siegfried & Roy (DREAMS AND ILLUSIONS)
Butterflies (Remix) - Eve
You Rock My World (Remix) - Jay-Z
What More Can I Give/Todo Para Ti
All In Your Name - Barry Gibb

Other

Little Christmas Tree (A MOTOWN CHRISTMAS) 1973 solo recording
You Can't Win (THE WIZ)
You Can't Win (7 minute version released as a single from The Wiz, inlcuded on The Ultimate Collection)
Someone In The Dark (opening and closing versions) (E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL)
Someone Put Your Hand Out (Pepsi cassette single released to promote Dangerous tour)
On The Line (CD single included in Ghosts deluxe box set in the UK, shorter version than that on The Ultimate Collection)
Children's Holiday - J-Friends (CHILDREN'S HOLIDAY) *written and produced by Michael
People Of The World - J-Friends (PEOPLE OF THE WORLD) *written and produced by Michael
We Are The World 25 for Haiti - Artists from Haiti *Michael's solo parts from original are used again in this version

Last edited:
Thank you Blaze :kickass:

about the Doobie Brothers, they said in a magazine that MJ also cooperated in the song "Here to love you" in the background vocals, and I think it's true because I can hear him :)

Last edited:
Thank you Blaze :kickass:

about the Doobie Brothers, they said in a magazine that MJ also cooperated in the song "Here to love you" in the background vocals, and I think it's true because I can hear him :)

I'm not sure about that one, I think Michael said he only recorded backing vocals on two of the tracks on that Doobie Brother's album, and they are the two which are included in the For The Record book.

That list is awesome. Saves me time having to listen to loads of songs.

I'm not sure about that one, I think Michael said he only recorded backing vocals on two of the tracks on that Doobie Brother's album, and they are the two which are included in the For The Record book.

Not sure either but here, the ex Doobie Brother's frontman, Tom Johnston said it in an interview, here's the link http://blog.blogtalkradio.com/celebrities/doobie-brothers-frontman-tom-johnston-michael-mcdonald-ah-blessing-band/
I think MJ didn't say it consciously, is not like he was answering properly an interview, probably that's why he didn't mentioned it in that video, and we know how MJ's memory sometimes work :p

But it's true there is no official confirmation for all of these Doobie Brothers tunes.
http://www.mjtunes.com/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?cid=1&lid=3505

I didn't read "For the record" book, by Alex Steinweiss. Can you tell me, please what is written there? :)

Not sure either but here, the ex Doobie Brother's frontman, Tom Johnston said it in an interview, here's the link http://blog.blogtalkradio.com/celebrities/doobie-brothers-frontman-tom-johnston-michael-mcdonald-ah-blessing-band/
I think MJ didn't say it consciously, is not like he was answering properly an interview, probably that's why he didn't mentioned it in that video, and we know how MJ's memory sometimes work :p

But it's true there is no official confirmation for all of these Doobie Brothers tunes.
http://www.mjtunes.com/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?cid=1&lid=3505

I didn't read "For the record" book, by Alex Steinweiss. Can you tell me, please what is written there? :)

Hmm, I'll put another heading under 'unconfirmed' then ;)

Here is what is written in For The Record (2nd Edition):

'Songs the Doobie Brothers recorded for their 1978 album of the same name. Home movie screened by Entertainment Tonight in July 2009 showed Michael singing a snippet of these songs (Minute By Minute & What A Fool Believes) while on the phone to Elizabeth Taylor - Michael stated he had sung backing vocals on these tracks. No independent confirmation.'

Hmm, I'll put another heading under 'unconfirmed' then ;)

Here is what is written in For The Record (2nd Edition):

'Songs the Doobie Brothers recorded for their 1978 album of the same name. Home movie screened by Entertainment Tonight in July 2009 showed Michael singing a snippet of these songs (Minute By Minute & What A Fool Believes) while on the phone to Elizabeth Taylor - Michael stated he had sung backing vocals on these tracks. No independent confirmation.'
Thanks for your reply :)

Back