when you found out the song was sampled

mistermaxxx

Proud Member
did it change how you viewed the song or the artist? now admit it there is a song or a groove that you were grooving to and you thought it was original or new and then later to find out it was sampled or looped. did it change how you felt about the song or the artist?? speak on it.

of course not. i have been fooled before..and kudos to that artist. i'm not gunna repeat myself on how many art forms are still disrespected..but if u can blow my socks off, i give kudos to you, no matter what.

I've never really been fooled, in most cases I remember the original song. Some acts can manipulate the original to where it's not recognizable though, usually done by people who are more creative, rather than acts like P Diddy who sound like they just use the instrumental version of a song.

Well honestly,sometimes it irritates me that people around me don't know when a very popular song is sampled or covered. Take for instance Don't Stop The Music... It really goes on my nerves that people don't know the part from WBSS. I mean COME ON!

Maybe even better example is Proper Education by Eric Prydz. People in my country go wild to that song without even knowing about The Wall by Pink Floyd. Could they BE bigger fools?! (lol Chandler Bing)

A lot more examples,can't remember now.

I think that would depend on your age or your environment. A young person most likely wouldn't have heard of Pink Floyd. A lot may know who MJ is, but not his music. A lot know about Genesis with Phil Collins as the lead, but not with Peter Gabriel, and Phil just being the drummer.

Last edited:
Yeah, coming from a person who has a good ear for music...I do get sort of irritated when people don't know that a particular song has been sampled from.
One that wasn't mentioned yet was Kanye Wests song "Good Life". He sampled PYT like nobody's business.

But I can also say that I have been on the other side of the spectrum as well. Just only a couple of years ago I was only a fan of Michael's popular smashes. I didn't care to look up any more of his music yet.
I was watching music videos and I saw a song that caught me completely off guard. I loved this song, and I had never heard of it before. It was SWV's "Love Will Be Right Here". I listened to that song EVERYDAY!!!!! I was sooo in love with that rhythm and the chord progressions. And I didn't know where that whiny "whyyyyyyy" voice was coming from, but that I loved it.

Then when I finally listened to "Human Nature" for the first time........well it obviously clicked! I was like, "Holy sh*t.......that's the melody of that song I absolutely adore!!"
I had no idea.

most of the time it should be audible anyway whenever a sample is being used. the producers i enjoy listening, and who are known to sample, do so by using mostly obscure samples to really chop them up, tweak them and weave them in like just another synthesiser or something. sampling is a great art when used right (as another instrument and not a melody source) and is heavily dogged in the general public thanks to the likes of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irb335ThCdo

don't get me wrong, i think Kanye's a great overall producer but his sampling techniques are lame, corny and lazy to say the least.

Occasionally its disappointing like on 'You Don't Know My Name" by Alicia Keys. It was disappointing only because I thought she came up with the music on her own, specifically the piano bit when she says "ooooooooh" right before "But you don't know my name".

But usually, yeah it makes me more interested in the original if its heavily sampled.

^^ Yep.

This is how I found out.

@ 4:11

[youtube]VXZSg-EM5NM[/youtube]

It doesn't bother me. I tend to think that the artist was showing respect to someone they admire.

Back