Does it say in the album booklet?

Another Day - 2001
Hollywood Tonight - 2007
Much too soon - 1981
Best of Joy - 2009
The Way You Love Me - 2003/4

Last edited:
Many thanks!

For some reason I thought Hollywood Tonight was an Invincible out-take, but if its a 2007 recording it makes the song even better and more meaningful.love it!!
And does it say Best of Joy was recorded in 07' I thought it was 09 one of the last songs he did?

Oh' and what about the song - Behind the Mask?

For some reason I thought Hollywood Tonight was an Invincible out-take,
it was. it was done during the vince sessions but brought back out in 07

behind the mask was done around thriller sessions.

yeah best of joy is given a timeline of 09

way u love me was orignally done in the early 80's

Many thanks!

For some reason I thought Hollywood Tonight was an Invincible out-take, but if its a 2007 recording it makes the song even better and more meaningful.love it!!
And does it say Best of Joy was recorded in 07' I thought it was 09 one of the last songs he did?

Oh' and what about the song - Behind the Mask?

just edited my post , yes you are right , best of joy was 2009 , i accidentally put 2007 .

Behind the mask , was around 1980/81 , was recorded for thriller . But because it was already released by Eric Clapton , i bet they never released it due to copyrights and such ...Would of been great though , could of gone after PYT , then finished with LADY ..

But because it was already released by Eric Clapton , i bet they never released it due to copyrights and such
claptons version came out years later.

info below from mjjuk
Behind The Mask is a Thriller Demo. It was given to Quincy some time between 1979-1982. Michael recorded it, ditched it, Greg then recorded it and released it and that's how Clapton heard it, who then recorded and released it in 1986.

Clapton was last to record it (but the most definitive) and Michael did it first. What you hear is the vocal track taken from his Thriller Demo (which was also featured in Greg's as at the end there are some of Michael's "Chck Chck" sounds left in Gregs version).

Another Day - 2001
Hollywood Tonight - 2007
Much too soon - 1981
Best of Joy - 2009
The Way You Love Me - 2003/4

Much too Soon was written in 1981, but it was recorded in 1994.
Best of Joy was recorded in October 2008.

much too soon doesnt sound like thriller mike, he was def. older when he recorded that, sounds like he was in his 30s/40s imo

claptons version came out years later.

info below from mjjuk
Behind The Mask is a Thriller Demo. It was given to Quincy some time between 1979-1982. Michael recorded it, ditched it, Greg then recorded it and released it and that's how Clapton heard it, who then recorded and released it in 1986.

Clapton was last to record it (but the most definitive) and Michael did it first. What you hear is the vocal track taken from his Thriller Demo (which was also featured in Greg's as at the end there are some of Michael's "Chck Chck" sounds left in Gregs version).

Yep. The original music was written by Chris Mosdell and Ryuichi Sakamoto and recorded by Yellow Magic Orchestra in 1979. Here is the original:

Then Quincy heard it and brought it to Michael's attention who wrote lyrics and additional music to it. It didn't make it on Thriller, apparently for legal reasons. But Michael's keyboardist, Greg Phillinganes recorded it for his own solo album:

Then Greg went on to work with Eric Clapton and brought the song to his attention and he recorded it for his 1986 album "August" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_(album)#Track_listing ):

So while Michael's version is the last to be released (now on "Michael"), in fact he recorded it before Phillinganes and Clapton and he also co-wrote it:

So you saying MJ re-recorded it in 2007 or they just re-used the vince vocals?
im not sure. i just read either in a interview with teddy or something else that it was done originally during the vince sessions and he brought it back out in 07.whether the vocals were re recorded i dont know

thats intresting where did u hear that

I read it on several places on forums and Rob Hoffman's comment seems to corroborate with that. He wrote on Gearslutz: "Was "Much Too Soon" released ? I didn't know that. That's a very special song, and one of my favorite memories of Michael and Bruce."

I don't think Hoffman worked with Michael in 1981, but he worked with Michael in the 90s. I know he worked with him on History. Maybe also on Dangerous.

thanks i guess he thought about using it on history?

Much too soon:
Written and composed by Michael Jackson in 1981 and cited by him in his court deposition in November 1993.
Mix 1 of Much Too Soon was recorded in May 1994 in The Hit Factory recording studio, and the mastering made in December 1994.
The track remains unreleased but is a part of the upcoming album, scheduled for December 14, 2010.
Full track leaked for the first time on November 17, 2010

I thought Way you love me was recorded early 00.

Back