When Singers can't sing their songs.

Meh it happens to everyone with age, especially with songs that where recorded when you where real young.

Just look at when mike tried to sing stuff from off the wall later on, he really couldn't do it well.

Johnnie Taylor's & Stevie Wonder's voice never deteriorated. Stevie actually sings higher now than he did when he was young. Charlie Wilson sounds the same as well.

Meh it happens to everyone with age, especially with songs that where recorded when you where real young.

Just look at when mike tried to sing stuff from off the wall later on, he really couldn't do it well.

Yeah the voice just changes, but it doesnt necessarily get worse (unless of course ones career has been chain smoking and screaming... haha).

I think it gives way to new interesting rearrangments to suit a changed voice, or there's always the option of just picking a more appropriate key...

example please!?

bump this thread has much potential i believe!
If that was the case, the thread wouldn't have died, lol. If the topic isn't about gossip, griping about people supposedly doing Mike wrong, who's the "Queen Of Pop", or something negative that always ends up with people arguing, nobody goes into it. Troubleman and I have a bunch of threads to prove it. :p

i believe you on that, but i find it interesting to analyze the changes these singers go through vocally and otherwise and the effects on their reputation and careers. i would think people would find that interesting lol

I went to a Def Leppard concert in July, and almost all the songs they sang, except for a limited few, were in a lower key. The guys are in their late 40s and early 50s, and they recorded the majority of the songs they sing at concerts from the years 1980-1992. So, of course, they were much younger.

example please!?

there's no examples of that.
plus..the idea of singing in a lower key ruining someone's career is wayyy overrated.

i've heard some Barry Manilow songs, sung by him, in concert, without backing music, and he always sung them much lower than the recording..and because of his great voice..it never hurt the quality of the song. age doesn't necessarily have anything to do with it, either. change of key doesn't hurt a song, or the singer.

sometimes Mariah Carey will sing a song in concert, different from the recording. not singing the high notes all the time, doesn't hurt the artist either. singing high notes is overrated. it's cool to be able to sing them, but if a singer sings differently in concert and doesnt' necessarily sing the high notes like he or she did on the recording, that doesnt necessarily hurt anything. the quality of the singing..how the voice resonates is more important than if the singer hits the same high notes every time. sometimes it's cool that there is new ad lib that you didn't expect.
........................................................................................
DuranDuran
Nature Vegan

My Mood:
Amazed.gif

reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif

icon1.gif
Re: When Singers can't sing their songs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXceLOfFam1
bump this thread has much potential i believe!

If that was the case, the thread wouldn't have died, lol. If the topic isn't about gossip, griping about people supposedly doing Mike wrong, who's the "Queen Of Pop", or something negative that always ends up with people arguing, nobody goes into it. Troubleman and I have a bunch of threads to prove it. :p

well..apparently you are wrong. this thread is back to life. i'm 'glad' you think Mike was just a paranoid idiot, by the way.

Last edited:
i'm 'glad' you think Mike was just a paranoid idiot, by the way.
I said nothing of the sort, I said the people on this site like visiting threads griping about and trashing Mike's "wrongdoers" and they get lots of views and/or comments. How you get what you state out of that I don't know. The statement I made doesn't even say anything about Mike himself. Calling someone an "idiot" is negative and makes no sense if you read the whole statement or what I've said in other threads.

Smokey Robinson sounds absolutely incredible these days. Prince, Stevie and probably MJ too based on the stuff we have to base things off of.

This is a hard topic for me to think of someone because most artists I like are savvy in live performing.

I said nothing of the sort, I said the people on this site like visiting threads griping about and trashing Mike's "wrongdoers" and they get lots of views and/or comments. How you get what you state out of that I don't know. The statement I made doesn't even say anything about Mike himself. Calling someone an "idiot" is negative and makes no sense if you read the whole statement or what I've said in other threads.

using the word 'gripe' implies that you believe that nobody did Michael wrong, and that MJ's defenders gripe. and 'gripe' is a negative word. you put the word 'wrongdoers' in quotations as if to imply everyone was on the up and up with Michael, and that there were no wrongdoers in his life. your implications say that MJ writing lyrics about people being after him, are paranoid lyrics, at best. i don't see how you don't see that.

you initiated two negatives(accusing fans of 'griping',saying Michael was imagining things) with your original post, and took this thread about singers who can't sing their songs, way off topic, in one fell swoop. and i didn't call you any names, though you are cleverly implying that i did. i know that you know i was referring to how you see Michael, and fans who believe he was done wrong, on the subject of him being done wrong. i always read an entire post before i post. i understood what you said, perfectly.

Last edited:
using the word 'gripe' implies that you believe that nobody did Michael wrong, and that MJ's defenders gripe. and 'gripe' is a negative word. you put the word 'wrongdoers' in quotations as if to imply everyone was on the up and up with Michael, and that there were no wrongdoers in his life. your implications say that MJ writing lyrics about people being after him, are paranoid lyrics, at best. i don't see how you don't see that.

you initiated two negatives(accusing fans of 'griping',saying Michael was imagining things) with your original post, and took this thread about singers who can't sing their songs, way off topic, in one fell swoop. and i didn't call you any names, though you are cleverly implying that i did. i know that you know i was referring to how you see Michael, and fans who believe he was done wrong, on the subject of him being done wrong. i always read an entire post before i post. i understood what you said, perfectly.
No, first of all I was joking with the other poster and he said he understood my comment. My post said no one visited other topics than what I had mentioned, and joked that was why he had to "bump" this one that had "died" from lack of interest, and I even said that me and Troubleman had a lot of threads to prove it. You took it somewhere else. I never said anything about Mike's songwriting or imagining anything or being paranoid. My comment had nothing to do with Michael himself in the 1st place, but about what threads get the most visits and which ones get ignored. How come you didn't say anything about "Queen Of Pop" or gossip, which I also said, and just took some part out of context? In my reply to you, I didn't say you called me anything, you said I called Michael a "paranoid idiot", and I responded I didn't call anybody an "idiot". I didn't 'cleverly imply' you said anything. That's all I have to say. If you want to argue and spread negative vibes, go right ahead, I won't respond.

No, first of all I was joking with the other poster and he said he understood my comment. My post said no one visited other topics than what I had mentioned, and joked that was why he had to "bump" this one that had "died" from lack of interest, and I even said that me and Troubleman had a lot of threads to prove it. You took it somewhere else. I never said anything about Mike's songwriting or imagining anything or being paranoid. My comment had nothing to do with Michael himself in the 1st place, but about what threads get the most visits and which ones get ignored. How come you didn't say anything about "Queen Of Pop" or gossip, which I also said, and just took some part out of context? In my reply to you, I didn't say you called me anything, you said I called Michael a "paranoid idiot", and I responded I didn't call anybody an "idiot". I didn't 'cleverly imply' you said anything. That's all I have to say. If you want to argue and spread negative vibes, go right ahead, I won't respond.

i'm not spreading negative vibes. i'm defending the fans you accused of 'griping'. you've already spread the negative vibes by using the word 'griping'. so..i guess it's best u don't respond, then. we don't want negative vibes.

it's easy for me and others to get upset, when we're used to being accused of 'griping' for defending Michael. it has a long history..so..we are understandably sensitive. he has had wrongdoers, and we'll continue to defend him, even if you think 'wrongdoers' deserves to have quotations around it, which implies he had no people doing wrong against him. you didn't address your quotation marks around the word wrongdoers. so i guess you're going to avoid what it's convenient to avoid. as far as me checking numerous other threads for what you have said...i entered this thread. this is where i found what you said. it's a little too laborious to check out the whole massive forum. all in all..whether or not you were joking, i would think you would understand my sensitivity about you putting quotation marks around the word wrongdoers, now that MJ has passed... but i guess you don't..or you're being oblivious to the subject of quotations around the word wrongdoers, on purpose. so, i'll go on to the next subject, no matter what.
.................................................................................

to address the OP, i'd like to say that Billy Joel has aged a lot of years, and videos of his singing from his beginnings, matches his singing from recent vids, and he has never gone down in key. so..i don't think age has anything to do with the condition of the singing voice...

His voice is able to reach all high notes that he reached at the beginning of his career. as far as what you mean by singers not being able to sing their own songs...i guess i'm not sure what you mean. so far we have spoken of lowering the key, not being able to reach the high notes anymore...in which my opinion is if the singer can sing the melody strongly, then nothing else matters. if the singer can no longer sing the melody, then..i guess, the singer can no longer sing the songs.

Last edited:
i'm not spreading negative vibes. i'm defending the fans you accused of 'griping'. you've already spread the negative vibes by using the word 'griping'. so..i guess it's best u don't respond, then. we don't want negative vibes.

it's easy for me and others to get upset, when we're used to being accused of 'griping' for defending Michael. it has a long history..so..we are understandably sensitive. he has had wrongdoers, and we'll continue to defend him, even if you think 'wrongdoers' deserves to have quotations around it, which implies he had no people doing wrong against him. you didn't address your quotation marks around the word wrongdoers. so i guess you're going to avoid what it's convenient to avoid. as far as me checking numerous other threads for what you have said...i entered this thread. this is where i found what you said. it's a little too laborious to check out the whole massive forum. all in all..whether or not you were joking, i would think you would understand my sensitivity about you putting quotation marks around the word wrongdoers, now that MJ has passed... but i guess you don't..or you're being oblivious to the subject of quotations around the word wrongdoers, on purpose. so, i'll go on to the next subject, no matter what.
.................................................................................

Geez, relax, have some dip.

DuranDuran was making a passing statement (which happens to be mostly true), and someone took it out of context.

I'm relaxed. I'm not the one drawing insane conclusions from totally innocent posts and trying to defend my warped perception of said posts.

I'm relaxed. I'm not the one drawing insane conclusions from totally innocent posts and trying to defend my warped perception of said posts.

you're not relaxed. you're using inflammatory melodratic grammar, so you're proving you're wrong, and you and Duran are probably two accounts attributed to the same person, and you're searching the board, looking for a person you can bother and fight with, when no one was even talkng to you, and this convo was done, days ago. why don't you just use this thread to talk about the OP's subject matter, and stop spreading heat.

*using ignore button on Superstition*

i'm still trying to find out if anyone has any links to prove what they mean by a singer no longer being able to sing their songs...

is this about lip synching...or...milli vanilli...or..?

What are people's opinions of Whitney.. back in the day vs. comeback?

again, not knowing the depths of what the OP wanted, i can say that Whitney Houston is a good example of a singer whose early songs have a lot of high notes, but her latest album has some really great ballads, but she hits NO high notes. but the substance of her singing is still really great. and the ballads still sound wonderful.

i thik the op meant that the singers could absoultely not sing their songs from the past without drastically changing the song,look at the link in the 1st post

Back