When does a console become a retro console?

analogue

Proud Member
When does a video game console become retro? Is it to do with the amount of years it's been around, is it when people start to feel nostalgic towards it or is it when the console becomes discontinued? Alot of people consider the Playstation 2, X-Box and Nintendo Gamecube to be retro but for some reason they don't feel that way to me. Maybe in a few years time they'll feel retro but for me the last of the retro consoles (Atleast for now) was the Playstation, Nintendo 64 and Sega Saturn

I agree, I still have an original Xbox and I think they great. I really wouldn't call it retro. Retro for me is PS1 and Sega's consoles. and N64

Personally, I think of retro as two generations back. For instance, the PS3 and Wii are current generation, the PS2 and Gamecube are last generation, and everything older is retro. The last gen consoles just don't feel "retro" to me, either.

I think that console is a retro console when there is at least 2 console generations after it. PS1 is a retro console.

I agree, I still have an original Xbox and I think they great. I really wouldn't call it retro. Retro for me is PS1 and Sega's consoles. and N64

I still have first Xbox too :D

^ now I rarely play it, but I think it's good :)

I think retro to me is when they stop making the game consoles and the games for it. Like my Super Nintendo and my Playststion 1 game systems I consider them retro now. But I still L.O.V.E. to play them every now and then.

Back