What's more famous: Thriller (the song) or The Moonwalk?

IhateTheMedia

Proud Member
Country
United-States
The toss-up between the most famous thing associated with MJ has to be either Thriller or The Moonwalk. However since Michael is so huge it's almost impossible to determine which one has had a bigger cultural impact. You see all of these stories in Africa of people doing the Thriller dance, but they have likely also heard of Billie Jean which means they would also know the Moonwalk.

So which do you think is more well known, the Moonwalk or Thriller itself?

A better question would be:

"What is more famous?

The 'Thriller' dance move or the 'Moonwalk' dance move?
"

The answer is the 'Moonwalk' dance move.

In fact, Michael Jackson was most famous for his 'Moonwalk' dance move.

Even isolated Amazon tribes are aware of his 'Moonwalk' dance move.

A better question would be:

"What is more famous?

The 'Thriller' dance move or the 'Moonwalk' dance move?
"

The answer is the 'Moonwalk' dance move.

In fact, Michael Jackson was most famous for his 'Moonwalk' dance move.

Even isolated Amazon tribes are aware of his 'Moonwalk' dance move.
You are probably right, but it can be argued either way i think. The real debate is what's MJ's most famous song after Billie Jean and Thriller.

It's the moonwalk and that's it. Its been portrayed in the Simpsons multiple times for crying out loud. Children's cartoons, video games, skits.

Thriller is not even that famous without the video. The song itself is, a degree below.

It's the moonwalk and that's it. Its been portrayed in the Simpsons multiple times for crying out loud. Children's cartoons, video games, skits.

Thriller is not even that famous without the video. The song itself is, a degree below.
Thriller is probably more famous than billie jean in particular because of the video of course. I remember kids in Belgium being asked if they know thriller and they spontaneously replied with zombies and did some of the dance movements. Most of them specifically knew Beat It, Billie Jean and Thriller when they heard the songs but only thriller was known just by its title.

The real gimmicky nature of the song is instantly recognizable for kids I reckon

Thriller is probably more famous than billie jean in particular because of the video of course. I remember kids in Belgium being asked if they know thriller and they spontaneously replied with zombies and did some of the dance movements. Most of them specifically knew Beat It, Billie Jean and Thriller when they heard the songs but only thriller was known just by its title.

The real gimmicky nature of the song is instantly recognizable for kids I reckon
The video and Motown 25 are both probably tied. The song thriller is a degree below though.

So why is the Billie Jean video at a Billion and Thriller isn't?
Because it’s shorter. If you add the numbers of the shortened thriller version it is also over a billion.
TDCAU is also over a billion, it doesn’t mean the video is more iconic and well known as thriller. I will ask anyone in my family, I’m sure they all know the thriller video but not the TDCAU video.

Back