What were the factors leading to Michael Jackson's death?

shafique

Proud Member
Michael Jackson's death in 2009 shocked the world, but what were the contributing factors?
can you share legal, and personal aspects that played a role in the King of Pop's tragic end. I want to study Michael Jackson's life in detail

1. Pepsi Accident in 1987
  2. False Accusations during the Dangerous World Tour (1993)
  3. Sony fucking him over during the Invincible window (1999-01)
  4. Living with Michael Jackson documentary w/Bashir (2002)
  5. Sexual assault accusations and Neverland raid by crooked DA Sneddon (2003)
  6. The dehumanizing treatment during the trial (2005)
He would have been fine with the first 4, it was 5 and 6 that broke him.

Is the point of this post that the sexual assault accusations (2003) and the subsequent trial (2005) were the turning points that most negatively impacted Michael Jackson?

Michael Jackson's death in 2009 shocked the world, but what were the contributing factors?
can you share legal, and personal aspects that played a role in the King of Pop's tragic end. I want to study Michael Jackson's life in detail
Michael Jackson used to play Russian roulette with his life since the early 2000s when he would overdose himself.

For example, Michael La Perruque (his former security chief at that time) testified that on certain occasions he entered the singer's hotel room in order to make sure that he was breathing.

Michael La Perruque also testified that a terrifying incident took place at that time.

During a trip to Florida (USA) around 2001-2002, the singer's children called emergency services after Michael Jackson collapsed in a hallway in a hotel suite (at Walt Disney World).

Michael La Perruque found Michael Jackson unconscious, but he managed to revive him before paramedics arrived.

His sales would have been fine if Sony wasn't fucking him over
When you achieve such history making success, the only way is down.

An artist who's peak was in the 80's and early 90's is going to struggle to repeat such gigantic sales.

Even for a once in a lifetime phenomenon like MJ.

1. Pepsi Accident in 1987
  2. Sexual assault accusations and Neverland raid by crooked DA Sneddon (2003)
  3. The dehumanizing treatment during the trial (2005)
He would have been fine with the first 4, it was 5 and 6 that broke him.
I would argue the pepsi accident is the most important one here. He doesn't start to depend on medications (especially propofol) if the accident never happens. He was in constant physical and emotional pain. The accusations account for the latter.

When you achieve such history making success, the only way is down.

An artist who's peak was in the 80's and early 90's is going to struggle to repeat such gigantic sales.

Even for a once in a lifetime phenomenon like MJ.
Invincible sold 3 million in 5 days reportedly, without any promotion from Sony. It would have sold at least 20 million minimum

One of the reasons for the low sales of the 'Invincible' album was also the way Michael Jackson was dressed during the Virgin Megastore Signing Event (November, 2001).

At that event, Michael Jackson made the mistake to be dressed in a blue outfit, promoting in that way only the blue version (colour) of that album.

For example, if he wore (at that event) white shoes, blue trousers, red shirt, green belt, and orange hand watch, then he would have promoted all the 5 versions (colours) of that album, which would have resulted in more sales.

One of the reasons for the low sales of the 'Invincible' album was also the way Michael Jackson was dressed during the Virgin Megastore Signing Event (November, 2001).

At that event, Michael Jackson made the mistake to be dressed in a blue outfit, promoting in that way only the blue version (colour) of that album.

For example, if he wore (at that event) white shoes, blue trousers, red shirt, green belt, and orange hand watch, then he would have promoted all the 5 versions (colours) of that album, which would have resulted in more sales.
Captain Planet ol' logic

Say no🚫

Having different colours was just silly, it was unnessacery, I remember hearing comments, like it was all about making money and ripping off fans. Die hard fans would buy all of them.

I think that if Invincible is the least sold of all his albums it is because the promotion stopped very early compared to the other albums. When you see the promotions of Bad and History which were gigantic, you understand that when Invincible had neither a tour, nor any other music video apart from Cry and YRMW, nor merchandising it was difficult for it to be sold regardless of the style clothing from the album.

Otherwise I tend to agree with you. It would have been cool if he dressed in all the colors from the album.

Do you think Invincible's low sales are due to its lack of promotion compared to Michael Jackson's other albums? Given the extensive promotion for Bad and History, could the absence of a tour, additional music videos, and merchandising for Invincible be the main reasons for its lower sales?

Do you think Invincible's low sales are due to its lack of promotion compared to Michael Jackson's other albums? Given the extensive promotion for Bad and History, could the absence of a tour, additional music videos, and merchandising for Invincible be the main reasons for its lower sales?
The lack of Invincible performances, tour and music videos did have an impact for sure. It came out and then suddenly it all stopped but the relationship had already turned sour by that point.

The main reason why it didn't sell so well was because of the inferior quality of the album compared to his previous work.

Also, the man was 43 years old and his popularity and image wasn't the same.

The lack of Invincible performances, tour and music videos did have an impact for sure. It came out and then suddenly it all stopped but the relationship had already turned sour by that point.

The main reason why it didn't sell so well was because of the inferior quality of the album compared to his previous work.

also the tracklist could've been better

I think his passing was the result of many poor decisions made over a very long time, in particular with prescription medication and poor mental health. I do think in 2009, that he really wanted to do those This Is It shows - they were a source of inspiration to them. His mental issues, however, caused him insomnia and thus using hospital sleep meds. He had too many Yes men providing him with dangerous meds, and it should have taken a true doctor to firmly tell him “no meds”.

Last edited:
Michael's overconfidence also contributed significantly to his early death. He wanted these shows and he wanted to pull them off with the help of propofol. He knew how dangerous drugs could be, like morphine. He should never have done these shows. He had finished enough songs to make them money.

Last edited:

I do not agree with this argument. Invincible was completely up to the task of competing with these previous albums (it packs a punch I think, much more than History). I like this album and yet I don't like music from the early 2000s at all. It is a precursor of dubstep and even modern pop music (a little lofi too).

Let's take History, it was well below what it offered before and yet it was successful. This is mainly thanks to its gigantic promotion (tour, clips, etc.). I noticed that most people who like this album like it especially for its tour and the promotion which was in full swing all over the world (the meetings with Michael, the magazines, the goodies, the clips with a rather vulgar and trashy). But if we talk about the album as such, in my opinion (objectivity in art does not exist), it is full of faults and is no match for an Off The Wall or even a Dangerous.

I have to stop otherwise people will think I'm a History Hater x) I still love Michael... xD

I do not agree with this argument. Invincible was completely up to the task of competing with these previous albums (it packs a punch I think, much more than History). I like this album and yet I don't like music from the early 2000s at all. It is a precursor of dubstep and even modern pop music (a little lofi too).

Let's take History, it was well below what it offered before and yet it was successful. This is mainly thanks to its gigantic promotion (tour, clips, etc.). I noticed that most people who like this album like it especially for its tour and the promotion which was in full swing all over the world (the meetings with Michael, the magazines, the goodies, the clips with a rather vulgar and trashy). But if we talk about the album as such, in my opinion (objectivity in art does not exist), it is full of faults and is no match for an Off The Wall or even a Dangerous.

I have to stop otherwise people will think I'm a History Hater x) I still love Michael... xD
I disagree with the assessment of HIStory but there is a case to be made that Invincible does fit the trends of Pop music better than HIStory. It was a much easier listening experience, maybe a bit more "shallow".

But I do think the lack of promotion doesn't hinder Invincible.

Back