What Was MJ's Reason? ; I've Heard Other 'stars' Say Why....

BillieJean84

Proud Member
So its kind of hard to explain. I've heard a lot of youngers 'stars' explain why they want to become singers, why they want to become actors.... Mostly its because they want people to know who they are. They want to be famous just for the sake of being on tv, just for the sake of making music..etc.

So my question is & believe me I know times change and I know of course, Michael loved music. But - what was Michael's reason? 1. He loved music. 2. Loved the dance. 3. I suppose more he wanted to help out people as much as he could - the money helped. lol.

But what was his reason?

I think no one really asked him that. In the beginning Joe just told him to sing and he did.

but other than that, i think it was natural for him. singing and dancing was his life.

Last edited:
You know...I don't think Michael really had a reason...Besides the ones that sorta came with time...I believe he did it ultimately because he wanted to help people through music and art....But, I think it was so natural for him...it was just who he was...he was literally, 'music'......to me, you can't separate Michael from it...of course, there's Michael as a person...but when I look at him...you can literally see the music and dance speaking for itself...

Here is a direct quote from his book Moonwalk talking about singing when he was younger.

"I remember my childhood as mostly work, even though I loved to sing. I wasn't forced into this business by stage parents the way Judy Garland was. I did it because I enjoyed it and because it was as natural to me as drawing a breath hand exhaling. I did it because I was compelled to do it, not by parents or family, but by my own inner life in the world of music".

Last edited:
^^ yes, that's what I was remembering when I posted my response...:D

Here is a direct quote from his book Moonwalk talking about singing when he was younger.

"I remember my childhood as mostly work, even though I loved to sing. I wasn't forced into this business by stage parents the way Judy Garland was. I did it because I enjoyed it and because it was as natural to me as drawing a breath hand exhaling. I did it because I was compelled to do it, not by parents or family, but by my own inner life in the world of music".

How tragic yet potent...

I don't think he had a choice, he was forced into it at an early age after his parents noticed he had a good voice and he sort of just fell into it after that and came to love it. Obviously he was born and put on this planet to entertain but I don't think he ever had the option to do anything else, I'm sure there's a quote from him somewhere where he said something about he never had the option of becoming a doctor if he'd changed his mind and wanted to.

Jackson 5 -> Joe idea
His solo carrier -> was about perfectionist Michael,about being the best, the best singer, the best dancer... to be an icon.

he didnt exactly have much choice. but later on he talked about the joy of making ppl happy through his music etc

You know...I don't think Michael really had a reason...Besides the ones that sorta came with time...I believe he did it ultimately because he wanted to help people through music and art....But, I think it was so natural for him...it was just who he was...he was literally, 'music'......to me, you can't separate Michael from it...of course, there's Michael as a person...but when I look at him...you can literally see the music and dance speaking for itself...

I agree with you. I think that, after he was introduced to music and dancing, it all became natural for him.
But I also remember hearing an interview with Michael, in later years, where he said that he's done "all that" because he wanted to be loved (not in the sense of worshipping). He just wanted to make people happy and, in return, feel all their love upon him. He didn't want to feel lonely anymore.

Yes but you all understand what I'm saying- times change & people change. People nowadays want to get famous just for the sake of being famous, the money ..etc.

Not MJ.

Yes but you all understand what I'm saying- times change & people change. People nowadays want to get famous just for the sake of being famous, the money ..etc.

Not MJ.

Agreed , He did it for his natural passion for music, he really did live and breath music his whole life. :yes:

I truly believe that he would have still worked his ass off even if he wasn't paid a dime....I don't even think that money entered his mind (well, ok, a little bit, he needed to make a living :cheeky:)

Last edited:
If you have seen 'The Jacksons: An American Dream' little Michael wanted to join his brothers with singing, but Joseph didn't want him to at first, cause Joe didn't believe Michael was ready for it. But after Michael performed at his primary 'Climb every mountain' he got noticed. So it seems to me that Michael always wanted to sing, but ofcourse he didn't like the part where he had to exchange his childhood for grown-up business. So I think it was actualy part of Michael's choice to be in the music industry, cause he loved music and entertainment so much (he loved Jackie Wilson & James Brown and he wanted to be as good and better)

Maybe another reason for a 5-year old child to be in the business is to be able to buy allot of candy (= speculation ofcourse)! Michael loved Candy! :D

If you have seen 'The Jacksons: An American Dream' little Michael wanted to join his brothers with singing, but Joseph didn't want him to at first, cause Joe didn't believe Michael was ready for it. But after Michael performed at his primary 'Climb every mountain' he got noticed. So it seems to me that Michael always wanted to sing, but ofcourse he didn't like the part where he had to exchange his childhood for grown-up business. So I think it was actualy part of Michael's choice to be in the music industry, cause he loved music and entertainment so much (he loved Jackie Wilson & James Brown and he wanted to be as good and better)

Maybe another reason for a 5-year old child to be in the business is to be able to buy allot of candy (= speculation ofcourse)! Michael loved Candy! :D

I agree with you this was something he would have done even if Joe did not encourage him to do so. Music/dance is a part of him and he knew it.

Thank you for posting that, Michael was the one who wanted to sing. Joe may have been hard on him but michael credit's him for molding his talent and michael could have retired from entertaining once her wasn't under joe's management but he continued to sing and dance because he loved it.

I think he was pushed into the business by Joe, but at the same time born into it. Like others said he wanted to be included in the group with his brothers. He was also born to do it, hence the dancing in front of the washing machine when he was two years old. He was destined to be a performer. An old soul in a young body.

I think he was pushed into the business by Joe, but at the same time born into it. Like others said he wanted to be included in the group with his brothers. He was also born to do it, hence the dancing in front of the washing machine when he was two years old. He was destined to be a performer. An old soul in a young body.

this image came in my mind in first when I saw the title of the thread - He had no reason, it was natural for him to dance and sing, even if he always said that James Brown and Jacky Wilson have inspired him, he was the one who was destined to inspire the others.

That explains it. Thanks for posting.
I do believe it was just a natural thing for him. I think he was born to do it.

Back