What Spike Lee learned collaborating with Michael Jackson

qbee

Proud Member
What Spike Lee learned collaborating with Michael Jackson

by Michael del Castillo - Upstart Business Journal Technology & Innovation Editor

29ckwmw.jpg

Spike Lee speaks at TedX Brooklyn on Friday, December 6, 2013. Michael del Castillo

The UpTake: During Spike Lee's talk about collaborating with Michael Jackson the lesson he learned is that sometimes working with talented people means knowing when to relinquish control.

Spike Lee hung up on Michael Jackson three times before he finally realized who was really on the other line. At the time of the conversation Lee lived in “pre-gentrified” Fort Greene, Brooklyn, about a half hour train ride across the borough from the TedX Brooklyn event in Williamsburg at which Lee spoke earlier today.

Jackson wanted Lee to make a “short film, not a music video” for a song from the upcoming album HIStory, released by Epic Records in 1995. Shortly after Jackson convinced Lee to meet with him on the director’s home turf in Ft. Greene, the two met face-to-face in his living room.

Jackson gave Lee a choice of the unreleased songs to choose from and after listening to the lot he chose Jackson’s Stranger in Moscow.

“No, no, no, you’re not doing that one!” Lee recalled Jackson telling him, getting plenty of laughs from the TedX audience. It turns out Jackson was really hoping Lee would choose They Don’t Care About Us, a song that peaked at number 30 on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart.

After the two agreed on the song, they traveled to Brazil where Lee recommended using the Olodum drum team as part of the film production—the same musicians Paul Simon employed for his chart-topping album, Rhythm of the Saints.

“Usually artists do not want you to touch the track,” Lee said, but Jackson was open to the idea, and the result was one of the director’s best experiences with film, he said.

Something happened when they added the drums. People kept dancing long after the song was over. "They’re still playing," Lee recalled telling Jackson as the video production came to end.

Source: http://upstart.bizjournals.com/entr...06/spike-lee-learns-from-michael-jackson.html

qbee;3936800 said:
It turns out Jackson was really hoping Lee would choose They Don’t Care About Us, a song that peaked at number 30 on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart.

After the two agreed on the song, they traveled to Brazil where Lee recommended using the Olodum drum team as part of the film production—the same musicians Paul Simon employed for his chart-topping album, Rhythm of the Saints.

“Usually artists do not want you to touch the track,” Lee said, but Jackson was open to the idea, and the result was one of the director’s best experiences with film, he said.

Something happened when they added the drums. People kept dancing long after the song was over. "They’re still playing," Lee recalled telling Jackson as the video production came to end.

Source: http://upstart.bizjournals.com/entr...06/spike-lee-learns-from-michael-jackson.html

Brazil..... :girl_sigh:
63091658.gif

Everyone always hangs up on Michael lol. Even other famous people do it to him too. They don't believe he is calling him.

I am really grateful for what he has been doing for Michael these last couple of years. I appreciate it.

qbee;3936800 said:
Jackson wanted Lee to make a “short film, not a music video”

I wish he had listened to Michael. Both turned out to be only "music videos"
with 0 storyline.... no short films. Could have been so much more.

I agree...it would have been great to see Spike really get to do a full-on 'short film' with Michael.
Their talents and vision would have made it unforgettable.

Love the Brazil version of the TDCAU video, but it seems odd that the article didn't mention that there was another "controversial" version of the video.

He didnt learn about vitiligo. thats for sure

He didnt learn about vitiligo. thats for sure
A lot of people were confused about Michael's vitiligo even doctors didn't understand what was going on exactly, based on things experts would say in the media, they were clueless as to what was going on. I think mainly because no one in the public eye ever treated vitiligo the way MJ did, with whole pigment removal treatments to remove all the spots in visible areas. Probably no one could afford those kind of treatments at the time. They knew his skin was white but didn't know why. Myself included. Many didn't care and considered it his own business. Media made jokes about it. None the less Spike Lee has great love and respect for Michael, regardless if he was in the dark or confused like many were over his skin changing. Im sure he knows by now.

Anyway I don't really judge or hold that confusion or misunderstanding against anyone. My issue is mainly with mean spirited people who attack Michael's character or caused him harm. which Spike Lee never did. IMO

Everyone always hangs up on Michael lol. Even other famous people do it to him too. They don't believe he is calling him.

I am really grateful for what he has been doing for Michael these last couple of years. I appreciate it.

I liked what Lee said, too. He was telling from his heart. Kenny Ortega told such a story with the telephone too. :)

Back