What singles were to be released from Invincible?

Gonetoosoon

Proud Member
I know that Cry, YMRW and Butterflies were all released as singles (to an extent). I also know that when Michael told Mottola he was leaving Sony Music, T.M cancelled all the short films and singles.

Which were the ones he cancelled? Do we know? And what short films?

I so wish Invincible had more promotion/proper release of singles..

I do know that Michael wanted Unbreakable to be the first single, but Sony wanted
You Rock My World instead.

June 2001 Sony Music pick "You Rock My World" as the first single off of INVINCIBLE. Michael Jackson favored "Unbreakable" and had already started to conceive the video for the song. The last-minute change of single forces him to rush the conception of a new video to accompany "You Rock My World." Sony Music contact director Hype Williams who comes up with a treatment for the video. Michael is not satisfied with it nor with the budget Sony propose for the video. Paul Hunter, a new director, is hired. After numerous disputes on the budget of the video, filming finally starts.

http://www.michaeljacksonjustice.com/Sony.htm

Last edited:
Wonder what MJs idea for Unbreakable was. I heard that Chris Tucker would have been
in this one too. I dont think anything else was planed after the first 2 Videos.

Releasing YRMW and Cry against Michaels will, never gonna understand this.

I know that Cry, YMRW and Butterflies were all released as singles (to an extent). I also know that when Michael told Mottola he was leaving Sony Music, T.M cancelled all the short films and singles.

Which were the ones he cancelled? Do we know? And what short films?

I so wish Invincible had more promotion/proper release of singles..

Yeah Unbreakable and Threatened are the two that are fairly well accepted as Michael's choice singles, YRMW was agreed on and then $ony refused to fund a high-priced video for the sophomore single because Michael refused to tour (at least in USA) so they released Cry without his input.

Michael wished the same thing for Invincible, look online to see why his record label perhaps didn't want the same success for this record... Without doubt the most underrated album of all time. (Another MJ world record :p)

He wanted:

Unbreakable
Break Of Dawn
Threatened
Lost Children

There is a text interview on another thread where he says this.

They chose your Rock My World because they thought it was radio friendly and easier for liseners much too Michaels dismay, I completely understand why Michael would get completely angry with the record companies move! afterall Michael was preparing 'Vince' and his new sound for years!

I remember a rumor about Unbreakable short film with Mel Gibson and Chris Tucker. That would have been awesome.

wow some info is new for me that the concept changed because of a single change
I think though he had fun filming you rock my world.. like the laugh with chris
also heared him say in interview that he didnt like the short version but only the long version. I dont know if the versions ive seen the version are he spoke about, the short movie one.
Also threatened was danced by dancers and travis in japan, which was a great dance, maybe that was a little known choreo and a little unknow which maybe he had in mind for this video.
Shame that it went how it went,
dont like yrmw that much as lost children or unbreakable or threatened
Also i agree that his sound was newer in invincible i read that his voice had more range than ever before also in low so i understand how he had things in mind
would love to see 2000 watt in video with choreo he made, love the song i know some of you dont

Back