What Makes a Songwriter? (Willa Stillwater's blog)

Thank you for posting that respect77 :) That was great discussion.
I learned a lot and much info in how to debate those who say that because MJ couldn't read or write music he wasn't a great songwriter or musician. Seems many greats couldn't read or write music. It wasn't necessary to create GREAT songs. In fact it caused them to go outside the rules and be more innovative and creative with their styles.

The one thing i'll always hate is how some people critise Michael's composing abilites just because he used his voice to compose music and didn't play any instruments. Being a great instrumentalist doesn't automaticly make someone a great composer. Someone could be the greatest multi-instrumentalist in the world and still be a crap composer.

Another thing i hate is when people say that Michael wasn't a musician. People really confuse the word Musician with Instrumentalist. Michael wasn't an instrumentalist but he was a 100% musician. Anyone who can create beautifull music like that is a muscian. Period

Couldn't agree more :D

Pavarotti didn't play live, but still is considered a musician.

But MJ? The press or critics will never give him that title.
For most people it's hard to accept that a dancer can also be a musician but Michael was, and was a great one.

The one thing i'll always hate is how some people critise Michael's composing abilites just because he used his voice to compose music and didn't play any instruments. Being a great instrumentalist doesn't automaticly make someone a great composer. Someone could be the greatest multi-instrumentalist in the world and still be a crap composer.

Another thing i hate is when people say that Michael wasn't a musician. People really confuse the word Musician with Instrumentalist. Michael wasn't an instrumentalist but he was a 100% musician. Anyone who can create beautifull music like that is a muscian. Period

Yeah, take for example Eric Clapton. All those snobs would call him more of a musician than Michael, just because he embodies the classic idea of how a rock musician should be: standing on the stage with a guitar. But when you go to Wikipedia and look at how many of his songs he has written you'll be surprised how few of them. There are several albums by him where he didn't write any song.

But Michael is belittled as a musician, because he doesn't stand on the stage playing an instrument but dances, when he wrote or co-wrote most of his songs.

It takes alot of hard work and dedication to learn how to play an instrument and i think that it annoyes some people how Michael could come up with all these brilliant songs without putting in the extra effort of learning to play any instrument. Some people think ''Hey, Michael didn't put any effort in learning how to play an instrument so why should we give him credit as a songwriter?''

For me i think the exact opposite. I think that Michael desereves more praise for being able to compose all these songs himself without the need of an instrument to help him come up with ideas. Anyone who is that naturally gifted is a genius

Bodyguards said they heard lots of beautiful,new music from Michael´s room.I don´t remember which bodyguards but it was after 2005
I haven´t read there were any other musicians there.
I suppose you can create music with the help of machines nowadays and then the machines are instruments.

Alot of people also forget that the voice is an instrument

I read this yesterday, I don't think it takes 'songwriter' away from michael just because he found software that wrote the music, technology changes and with that comes new ways of developing music,and has i learnt from this article, writing the actual music. Quite impressive to think a musical instrument being played with your eyes closed when you open them will of produced every note into sheet music. I agree the voice is an instrument and has such michael should be given all credit.

Thank you respect77, i also like the james brown quotes

Back