What is the biggest selling posthumus album so far?

If it's not All Eyez On Me, it might be Notorious B.I.G's Life After Death. I know that has the highest selling first week numbers of any posthumous release, I don't know about overall sales though.

A Google search hasn't turned up anything useful. Also had a look on Guinness with no luck.

If it's not All Eyez On Me, it might be Notorious B.I.G's Life After Death. I know that has the highest selling first week numbers of any posthumous release, I don't know about overall sales though.

Wiki says it was released 15 days after Biggie's death, so while technically a posthumus album it isn't really since he almost finished it by the time. The Wiki article says it sold 690 000 copies in the first week of its release however doesn't say how many it sold overall.

I think it will be Michael in soon future.

Wiki says it was released 15 days after Biggie's death, so while technically a posthumus album it isn't really since he almost finished it by the time. The Wiki article says it sold 690 000 copies in the first week of its release however doesn't say how many it sold overall.

Life After Death was released to a significant amount of critical praise and commercial success. In 2000, the album was certified diamond in sales by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) (one of only 3 hip hop albums to receive this certification), and it has been credited as one of the best-selling rap albums of all time.

Life after death sold 10 million albums.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_After_Death

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_albums_in_the_United_States

OK, we all hope it soon will be Michael, but the point of the question is to get to know what's the target? How many copies will Michael have to sell to be the one?

OK, we all hope it soon will be Michael, but the point of the question is to get to know what's the target? How many copies will Michael have to sell to be the one?

I think rapper Biggie smalls has the best selling posthumous album, it went diamond in the US, which is 10 million.

Michael will surpass this number. I have no doubt that Michael's new album will be the best selling posthumous album of all time. He simply has a larger fan base than anyone else :D

EDIT: Nevermind, I believe Bob Marley has the best selling posthumous album.

" The compilation album Legend (1984), released three years after his death, is reggae's best-selling album, being 10 times Platinum (Diamond) in the U.S.,[3] and selling 20 million copies worldwide"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Marley

I still believe "MICHAEL" can reach these numbers or even surpass these numbers, if all his fans buy it. :)

Last edited:
I think rapper Biggie smalls has the best selling posthumous album, it went diamond in the US, which is 10 million.

Michael will surpass this number. I have no doubt that Michael's new album will be the best selling posthumous album of all time. He simply has a larger fan base than anyone else :D

EDIT: Nevermind, I believe Bob Marley has the best selling posthumous album.

" The compilation album Legend (1984), released three years after his death, is reggae's best-selling album, being 10 times Platinum (Diamond) in the U.S.,[3] and selling 20 million copies worldwide"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Marley

I still believe "MICHAEL" can reach these numbers or even surpass these numbers, if all his fans buy it. :)

Thanks. That will be hard to beat.Though it's a best of album, not an album of unreleased material, so I don't know it that counts.

It's not exactly fair to compare Biggies 'Life after Death' to 'Michael'. Life after death was recorded by Biggie as a normal studio album and was 99% complete when he died, and it was released only a couple of weeks after his death, at the time when his murder was still in the news, this obviously gave the album a lot of publicity. Whereas 'Michael' has hardly had any publicity.

Bob Marley's is a 'Greatest Hits' album isn't it?

I bet it's Queen's Made In Heaven:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Made_In_Heaven#Chart_performance

15 000 000 copies sold worldwide

But I don't know if it counts, cause only one member of the band died, not the whole band....hmmm....

There is no way this album sold 15,000,000 worldwide! (LOL!)

2.4 million 'shipped' between the US and the UK - and 12.6 million in the rest of the world??

I can see no links to any 'proof' of the claimed figures, apart from the US and the UK. Why is that?

If this was a Michael Jackson album, people would be ripping these claims to bits.

I like 'Queen' but please, this is laughable. (LOLx2)

The population of Malta was 378,000 in 1995 - and yet 100,000 copies of Queens album were shipped there!

That's the best laugh I have had in days!!

The population of Malta was 378,000 in 1995 - and yet 100,000 copies of Queens album were shipped there!

That's the best laugh I have had in days!!

Good point. So these sale figures of the Queen album are probably false.

And BTW, I remember this album, the lead single of it was "You don't fool me" which was a pretty weak track IMO. (Repetitive, boring - clearly unfinished. They were trying to make it "cool" with some electro beat, but it only makes it sound dated now in the hindsight.)

"Michael" has LOT stronger tracks than that!

Back