What is the best record player to get?

Mike P.

Proud Member
I don't have a record player but I've wanted one for a long time and was wondering what kind of record player would be the best one to get? The only albums I have are Off The Wall, Thriller, and Bad, but I'd still like to have something to play them on even though I have them all on CD.

Mine is a Technics. Prices vary depending on quality or features like if you're going to "scratch" records, etc. A lower cost model might be around 80 US dollars. But if you have a lot of money to blow, you can get one of these, lol:

$300,000 Goldmund’s Reference II
goldmund-t8-tonearm.jpg

$150,000 Basis Audio’s ‘Work of Art’ turntable
basistt3.jpg

$90,000-$112,000 Continuum Caliburn
continuum-caliburn_48.jpg

$40,000 Proscenium Black Diamond Turntable
LeftObliquecroppededitedforweb.jpg

$19,000 TEAC’s VPI HR-X1 turntable
teac-turntable_12.jpg

$12,990 ELP Laser Turntable
lt5.jpg

^ that's crazy. i've never even heard of a laser turntable, going on my wishlist lol.

the best all-purpose turntables have to be the Technics SL-1200, as praised by most people. they can be found from around $350 to $600 depending on models and packages offered.

if you want something cheaper, there's a 'portable' turntable by Numark called PT01 which is around $100 and offers very decent quality for the price. my favourite hip-hop producer, J Dilla, used this to sample on his last album before he died because he was hospitalised and couldn't use his studio equipment.

^ that's crazy. i've never even heard of a laser turntable, going on my wishlist lol.
According to the website there's 3 models. One plays 33s & 45s, the other two can play 33s, 45s, & 78s, but they are different in the size of the records they can play. I've read some comments on the laser turntable and apparently it won't play colored vinyl. I don't know if that includes picture discs. I assume shaped records won't work either. And the record has to be really clean. It says Stevie Wonder owns one. That price is probably like pennies to him, lol.

:bugeyed DAMN! 300 grand on a record player?? :unsure:

Ever heard of mp3?? :doh: :lol:
I still buy records. The other formats sound flat. I only buy CDs if there is no vinyl, has extra tracks, or it's a remastered CD. MP3's sound crappy.

^ I respect that, i've heard that vynil discs has a different sound... i dunno if thats just my record player but the only difference is the creaks it makes ...:unsure: other than that i dont see any difference at all....i might be partly deaf of sth...but anyway I just think 300 thousand bucks on a record player is just too much!!

^ I respect that, i've heard that vynil discs has a different sound... i dunno if thats just my record player but the only difference is the creaks it makes ...:unsure: other than that i dont see any difference at all....i might be partly deaf of sth...but anyway I just think 300 thousand bucks on a record player is just too much!!

I don't know what's special about these turntables. They're more than the average house. These kinds of items are for rich audiophile snobs, lol. It's like Rolex, it's just a watch.

a subjective versus

to be frank, if you were to rip from vinyl straight into a high-quality digital format (including lossy 320kbps MP3), the human ears would not at all be able to tell the difference when comparing both the original vinyl and the transferred h-q digital format using the exact same audio monitoring system.

analogue vs. digital only really matters at the studio-level when you record on tape vs. digital because we have yet to properly emulate some analogue recording methods using digital means. so sometimes (a lot of the time actually) producers and engineers talk of the "warmth" of analogue when recording (and there's a scientific reason for that) and because of the science, we will be able to emulate it 100% on digital soon enough. it's always a hot topic on music technology/recording magazines.

If you have a clean record, a fresh needle, a decent player (it doesn't have to be expensive) and good speakers (they too don't need to be expensive), and you crank a the vinyl record... in my opinion, the sound cannot be beat. And I am far from an audiophile: I ripped my music to 128kbps mp3 before breaking down and going to 192kbps VBR mp3.

The best way I can describe the sound of a vinyl vs. a cd is that a CD just sounds like standing in front of blazing speakers, whereas a vinyl makes you sound like you're standing right in from of the artist or drummer as they wail.

Although in some cases today, newer records are made with cheap plastic and doesn't sound like the older records, so the CD might be better than these, but a mp3 is never good, lol.

I listen to Apple Lossless at home (compressed but lossless audio: sounds the same as the source CD) but I use mp3 for portable listening. Like I said, I'm not really an audiophile so I hardly notice a difference. I would love to buy some vinyl but I live in an apartment and can't crank music, and new vinyl records are scarce where I live.

well there is the ION USB turntable...plays 7 and 12inches at 33 and 45speed...not that bad, only $150. u plug it up in ur usb port, record the song thats playing, and the software converts it to whatever settings u use on itunes.

Some r excessive in tasks tho....i was in toysrus one day and couldnt believe my eyes.....i wasnt sure of the price, but they had a record player that not only plays records....but also cds, and cassettes......PLUS (!!!) it has a dock so u can play songs off your ipod...jeez. lol

If you have a clean record, a fresh needle, a decent player (it doesn't have to be expensive) and good speakers (they too don't need to be expensive), and you crank a the vinyl record... in my opinion, the sound cannot be beat. And I am far from an audiophile: I ripped my music to 128kbps mp3 before breaking down and going to 192kbps VBR mp3.

i feel you...i myself just upgraded from 128 to 160....idk about u guys but all the formats sound the same to me....i just use mp3 cuz i like having free space on my computer.

well there is the ION USB turntable...plays 7 and 12inches at 33 and 45speed...not that bad, only $150. u plug it up in ur usb port, record the song thats playing, and the software converts it to whatever settings u use on itunes.

Some r excessive in tasks tho....i was in toysrus one day and couldnt believe my eyes.....i wasnt sure of the price, but they had a record player that not only plays records....but also cds, and cassettes......PLUS (!!!) it has a dock so u can play songs off your ipod...jeez. lol

Toys R Us?!

[FONT=arial, helvetica][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Head for the turntable; the vinyl records are returning[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] BY GREG KOT[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] CHICAGO TRIBUNE [/FONT] [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica][FONT=verdana,arial]October 12, 2008[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica]At a time when convenience and portability rule for consumers listening to music collections on MP3 players, the stodgy old vinyl album and turntable are making an unexpected comeback.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica]While CD sales continue a double-digit decline, sales of vinyl albums have doubled in the last year to 6 million and turntable sales increased 80% last year. The resurgence is being led not just by baby boomers nostalgic for gatefold album sleeves and the pops and scratches of favorite records, but by college-age consumers discovering the elaborate artwork of vinyl-album packaging for the first time, and entranced by the grittier, less-artificial sound quality.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica]"We're seeing the (vinyl) resurgence in all walks of life: from 50-year-old guys who want high-quality product to match their high-end stereos to 19-year-old kids who are sick of the minimalist Ikea design that has plagued dorm rooms for the last decade," says Ken Shipley, co-owner of the Numero Group, a Chicago label that specializes in reissues of underground soul music. "Vinyl is the new books."[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica]This year, 40% of the label's income is coming from vinyl sales.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica]Sundazed Music, a New York-based reissue label, has seen vinyl sales surge 500% in the past three years. The percentage is far lower at major labels, but still significant enough to warrant not only reissues of classic titles but new titles as well.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica]Warner Brothers sold 12,000 vinyl copies of the White Stripes' 2007 release, "Icky Thump," and sold out a 5,000-copy run of a $115.98 vinyl boxed set of Metallica's latest album, "Death Magnetic." Nonesuch's vinyl version of Wilco's 2007 album "Sky Blue Sky" has sold 15,000 copies.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica]Matador Records, home to such bands as Cat Power, Yo La Tengo and Mission of Burma, is seeing a double-digit percentage increase in vinyl sales. "We can't press it fast enough," says Matador General Manager Patrick Amory.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica]"You have to get in line now at these pressing plants, which is amazing, because vinyl was virtually nonexistent two or three years ago," adds Bill Gagnon, senior vice president of catalog marketing at EMI Music. The turnaround time at pressing plants has doubled to two months because of high demand, says Robert Griffin, who runs the Scat label out of Cleveland.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica]"How many commercials have you seen that involve a DJ spinning a record?" he says. "Repeat with incidences on TV shows, movies. It's being presented as a cool thing, not anachronistic, which was the late '90s attitude."[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica]Though Gagnon says vinyl will eventually make up about 4% of EMI's revenue; it's a profitable business that will have long-lasting appeal, in part because a younger generation is getting hooked on it.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica]The disadvantages of vinyl are numerous: tough to transport, bulky to store, easy to damage.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica]MP3 files have enabled consumers to essentially pack their entire music collection in a device the size of a cigarette box and listen to it anytime, anywhere. Clearly, digital is the future of music, and the reemergence of vinyl won't change that. But hard-core music lovers are a demanding bunch, and they still want a tangible connection to the music that a digital file can't provide.[/FONT]​

The first thing I do when I get a place of my own where I have the space to have a nice stereo system is buy a record player and "Off The Wall" on vinyl and crank up "I Can't Help It".

f_hug.gif

can you believe i found a very clean 12" OTW in a charity shop for £4
f_doh.gif
and you can bet your arse i cranked up ICHI in my dorm room.

I've noticed that the new release albums cost more than the CD. I guess it's because in the past records were the main sellers and now they're in a small section in the back. Even Best Buy has a record section now, lol.

My grandad has a record player, when I was little he'd put his music on and sing along. I have a kind of sentimental feel toward vinyl.. I put one of his motown records on the other day, it felt warm and cosy..like home. I'll take a look at the make and model.

Clearaudio Statement Turntable

This looks like a lot of bother to deal with. :p
[youtube]VZM8iNTZruY&fmt=18[/youtube]

Back