What is/are your favorite sports movie(s)?

SimplyMagic

Proud Member
Here are some of mine:

1. The Rocky movies - These movies make me laugh and cry. The first 3 are by far the best.

2. Hoosiers - What can I say............I absolutely love this movie!

3. Remember The Titans - Til this day I still find myself chanting "na na na naa, na na na naa, hey hey goodbye" Denzel Washington was awesome in this movie.

4. Jerry Maguire - "Show me the money!" Awesome movie.

5. The Blind Side - I liked this movie a lot, but the book is much better.

6. The Karate Kid - The remake was good, but I liked the original better.

7. Rudy - I've watched this movie countless times. I guess I see some of myself in him.........I'm 5'3" and love to play basketball.

8. The Sandlot - I've also seen this movie lots of times. I like the kids.

I'm sure there are more sports movies that I like, but these are the ones that come to mind now. :)

"Slap Shot"- The best hockey film ever created. They have everything in these movies, hits, goals, saves, blood, sweat, tears, fighting and best of all, The Hanson Brothers. They love old style hockey like Eddie Shore, Dit Clapper, Toe Blake and Gordie Howe. GOOORDIIIIEE!!!

"The Mighty Ducks"- The Walt Disney film is the main reason the NHL named the team after the film, Anaheim Mighty Ducks (now Anaheim Ducks). Emilio Estevez is a true star as coach Gordon Bombay, Joshua Jackson and let's not forget Moonwalker's young co-star Brandon Adams. We can also never forget some NHL stars made cameos like Mike Modano, Wayne Gretzky, Cam Neely and Paul Kariya. There was once rumoured that Estevez maybe named the new head coach of the Anaheim Mighty Ducks.:lol: "WE WILL WE WILL QUACK YOU"

"The Longest Yard"- Never seen the original 70's film, but the film with Adam Sandler, Chris Rock, Burt Reynolds and best wrestlers in a funny football/prison film. Convicts vs Prison Guards are a riot.

"Happy Gilmore"-One of the best Adam Sandler films ever done. Combo of hockey/golf is a killer, what I'm most surprised that Sandler as Happy Gilmore wears the Boston Bruins jersey all them time during golf. They got the best line with him fighting Bob Barker "The Price Is Wrong B^#%&h" CLASSIC.

"The Love Guru"-Mike Myers stars as the love guru Pitka who helps a Toronto Maple Leafs superstar Darren Roanoke with some personal crisis with his wife and his mother. Justin Timberlake stars a Los Angeles Kings goalie Jacques Grande and Kayne West, Jessica Simpson and Deepak Chopra made cameos in the movie. I love Jessica Alba plays as the only woman to coach for Toronto Maple Leafs Jane Bullard and she had such a wild crush on the love guru. I love hockey comedy. Mariska Hargitay!

Last edited:
Cool Runnings, starring John Candy, is a very good film!!!

It's about a Jamaican Bobsleigh team.

Stumbled on this article on great sports movies.
Some of the ones yall already mentioned here.
Nothing but classics on the list below.

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ycn-11027834
Five Great Sports Movies Across Different Sports

By James Kent, Yahoo! Contributor Network
Feb 29, 5:03 pm EST

Who does not love a great sports movie? They are often underdog inspiring tales and remind us all what can be accomplished. I have compiled a list of five of my personal favorites. Multiple different sports are covered, and they are all inspiring in their own way.

"Moneyball"
"Moneyball" is the most recent movie on the list and was nominated for six categories at the 2012 Oscars. It was not a huge surprise that it missed out.
However, it is still a terrific movie that tells a remarkable story.
The feature stars Brad Pitt and is based on a book with the same name.
"Moneyball" tells the story of the Oakland Athletics (A's). The A's changed the game in many ways by changing the way scouts thought about recruiting players.
They put a squad together on a limited budget and proved to be a strong team, getting rid of established players and setting a new league record of winning 20 consecutive games along the way. "Moneyball" tells a great true story.

"Jerry Maguire"
I think most people would agree that "Jerry Maguire" is one of the all-time great sports movies. The feature film stars Tom Cruise, Renee Zellweger, and Cuba Gooding Jr.; James Cameron directs it. Tom Cruise plays a sports agent that suffers a nervous breakdown that leads him to write a mission statement about things he is dissatisfied about in the industry and how it should be run. He then distributes copies of it. However, this leads to him getting fired and starting up his own agency.

"Bend it like Beckham"
This film may not be on everyone's list for a great sports movie.
However, I personally love it. The film focuses on football as the name suggests.
The movie tells the story of two talented female players, rather than the men's game.
I think the film helps to promote woman's football and shows that the game should be taken seriously. The film also proved to be breakthrough roles for stars Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Parminder Nagra, and Keira Knightley.

"Cool Runnings"
What is not to love about the idea of Jamaicans competing at the Winter Olympics?
I think everyone must love "Cool Runnings."
The film tells the story of how Jamaica came to compete in the 1988 Winter Olympics in Canada. Although they were treated as a joke at first, by the end of the film they had earned respect as serious competitors. Another great underdog story.

"Rocky"
This is another big favorite amongst sports movie lovers.
It tells the story of Rocky Balboa, whose day job is an enforcer for a loan shock.
But he also competes as a semi-pro boxer at night.
It is a true awe aspiring tale as Rocky gets a shot at the World Heavyweight Title.
The film was the highest grossing of 1976 and won three Oscars.
The movie stars Sylvester Stallone as the lead character.

James Kent is a keen fan of various sports and avid watcher of movies.
Follow him on Twitter and via his Facebook fan page
Note: This article was written by a Yahoo! contributor.
to start publishing your own sports content.

Back