What if Thriller was the new album?

Yazman

Proud Member
Howdy,

Ok being totally hypothetical, what if Thriller never existed. Yep, it was never written. Wasnt recorded. Didnt happen. Yes ladies and gentlemen, what if there was no music video featuring Michael Jackson in zombie makeup supporting this album that never was.

Ok, you get the picture...but what if it was only just written NOW, with todays recording standards and Michael's current sound, yet everything else remained the same.

My questions are , would it become as classic as it is?...Is this the album you would want to hear in a few months time?...Would the writing appear dated?...or is this the album you have been longing for. What if Invincible was the first album out after Off The Wall? and the albums came out in reverse order like that?

Howdy,

Ok being totally hypothetical, what if Thriller never existed. Yep, it was never written. Wasnt recorded. Didnt happen. Yes ladies and gentlemen, what if there was no music video featuring Michael Jackson in zombie makeup supporting this album that never was.

Ok, you get the picture...but what if it was only just written NOW, with todays recording standards and Michael's current sound, yet everything else remained the same.

My questions are , would it become as classic as it is?...Is this the album you would want to hear in a few months time?...Would the writing appear dated?...or is this the album you have been longing for. What if Invincible was the first album out after Off The Wall? and the albums came out in reverse order like that?

i'm right with you on that. invincible would be the classic..thriller would be considered overrated, and a wasted investment of thirty million dollars. simply because Michael is massively successful and some people have a problem with that, and are closed minded, no matter what. i was hoping this thread would come up but i didn't have the guts. great thread, and thanks. both albums have massively sold...it was just a matter of time being on MJ's side. thriller didn't get to it's first milestone in ONE week. to hear media speak..you would think that an album is a failure if it doesn't reach forty million in one to two weeks. i'm not gunna go into figures, cus that always starts unnecessary arguments.

rome wasn't built in a day, either.

Last edited:
Well it's totally inconceivable to even think of Invincible being released after OTW. The sound was just far too late nineties for it to sound decent in the early eighties. It just would never have worked. It's also a bit of a messy album which only featured two or three great songs, with the rest being fillers.

Thriller would still sound great today if we had never heard the sound, but it wouldn't have been as big.

Well it's totally inconceivable to even think of Invincible being released after OTW. The sound was just far too late nineties for it to sound decent in the early eighties. It just would never have worked. It's also a bit of a messy album which only featured two or three great songs, with the rest being fillers.

Thriller would still sound great today if we had never heard the sound, but it wouldn't have been as big.

no one thing is inconceivable to every person.

interesting..i wasn`t even born when Thriller was released, so i could experience the hype around it.lol

Thriller was released in 1982, and it is the amazing album the media and many of the public say it is. I don't consider Thriller to be Michael's best album, but what if Thriller was released now doesn't change the fact Thriller is a classic album and era that changed the course of music.

what a horrible signature you have

When I came here from mjnewsonline I didn't have any sig to use so I just put that one, I made it like 5 years ago lol.

Thriller was released in 1982, and it is the amazing album the media and many of the public say it is. I don't consider Thriller to be Michael's best album, but what if Thriller was released now doesn't change the fact Thriller is a classic album and era that changed the course of music.

I'm not questioning how amazing it is and its era, its just a thought experiment.

I think it would be just as great an album as i is. But it's a difficult question, cause had Thriller never been released music would might have gone into another direction. After thriller all musicians copied MJ and that's why Music is as it is today.

Thriller changed music to what it is today. So if it hadn't been released we don't know how music would sound today!

Howdy,

Interesting. I think I'd still like Thriller.

I cant even think of Thriller being released today, its an album as is off the wall being mjs best work by far. Melodies that are so simple but work so well. It was all about timeing and those albums were brought out just at the right tiime.

They are so special and albums that will be remembered from years to come.

Invinsible is no thriller, the songs arent even that great, its a poor album i dont even put it on anymore.

Last edited:
That's a really interesting question! Firstly, Michael wouldn't have gained his 'King of Pop' status if invincible was released back then...it isn't exactly the most amazing album to be frank. I mean, I enjoy listening to it every now and again, but there are only about 4 good songs on there and the rest aren't worth bothering about in my opinion. Thriller is an immense album, but as has been mentioned, although it's been popular for 25 years it has become increasingly popular over time. Therefore i reckon it's difficult to tell...it probably wouldn't be as popular, but it would still get a lot of airplay :)

Back