What if this was Michael's next studio album after Invincible

kv101

Proud Member
I always wondered what a late 2000s album from MJ would sound like as a follow up to Invincible. What if below was the album that was released around 2007-08 (these are mostly songs from Michael and Xscape albums).

Album name: Xscape

Hold my hand (ft Akon)
Chicago
Hollywood Tonight
Place With No Name
Another Day (ft Lenny Kravitz)
One More Chance
Slave To The Rhythm
I Like The Way You Love Me
Best Of Joy
Blue Gangsta
Much Too Soon
Xscape

Assuming Timbaland and Neff U Feemster had a part in the production (they produced the remixes and were also successful around 2007-08), do you think this album would have worked? Feel the above track list has more pop feel to it than Invincible, and with great music videos and live performances, this would have been a great comeback for MJ in the dance era in late 2000s.

I always wondered what a late 2000s album from MJ would sound like as a follow up to Invincible. What if below was the album that was released around 2007-08 (these are mostly songs from Michael and Xscape albums).

Hold my hand (ft Akon)
Chicago
Hollywood Tonight
Place With No Name
One More Chance
Slave To The Rhythm
Best Of Joy
Blue Gangsta
Much Too Soon
Xscape

Assuming Timbaland and Neff U Feemster had a part in the production (they produced the remixes and were also successful around 2007-08), do you think this album would have worked? Feel the above track list has more pop feel to it than Invincible, and with great music videos and live performances, this would have been a great comeback for MJ in the dance era in late 2000s.
Your tracklist is wrong. Here how it could look like:
Hold my hand (ft Akon)
Hollywood Tonight
Slave To The Rhythm
Best Of Joy
The Loser
Beautiful Girl
Days in Gloucestershire
Water
Throwing Your Life Away
do you think this album would have worked?
Yes, of course. It ould be much better than Invincible

Hold my hand (ft Akon)
Chicago
Hollywood Tonight
Place With No Name
One More Chance
Slave To The Rhythm
Best Of Joy
Blue Gangsta
Much Too Soon
Xscape

It was going to be Neff-U, RedOne, Will.I.Am, Akon, Michael Prince and Brad Buxer predominantly.

Hold My Hand (ft Akon)
Hollywood Tonight
Best Of Joy
The Loser
A Place With No Name
Beautiful Girl
Throwing Your Life Away
One More Chance
Water
Scared Of The Moon
Days In Gloucestershire
In The Back
All In Your Name
Chicago (She Was Loving Me)

It would be this pool of songs

Hold My Hand (ft Akon)
Hollywood Tonight
Best Of Joy
The Loser
A Place With No Name
Beautiful Girl
Throwing Your Life Away
One More Chance
Water
Scared Of The Moon
Days In Gloucestershire
In The Back
All In Your Name
Chicago (She Was Loving Me)

It would be this pool of songs
What proof on Another Day?

Or One More Chance or All in your Name

Based on that tracklist it would have been much better than Invincible Especially because of a much more economical run time.
While Invincible only has 2 tracks I would rate as perfect, the album here has 3. That said it still has about 4 absolute duds too.
Michael’s last fase was a bit hit and miss for me.

Based on that tracklist it would have been much better than Invincible Especially because of a much more economical run time.
While Invincible only has 2 tracks I would rate as perfect, the album here has 3. That said it still has about 4 absolute duds too.
Michael’s last fase was a bit hit and miss for me.
There isn't a single song in that list I don't enjoy it one form or another.

But it's still entirely inaccurate in ways.

Blood on the Dance Floor (1997) is Michael's 9th studio album instead of a remix album featuring some unreleased songs, No Sony debacle either as they pressured him for another studio album and conflict arose after the delays of Invincible
HIStory Past Present Future (1995) is a studio album only containing the songs from Book II with a normal price instead of 30 dollars
The Songs from History Book I are turned into a separate greatest hits album & release in 2000 at the start of the Millennium
No documentary with Bashir, Michael instead spends the time doing a short concert tour in the US during 2002-03 to promote Invincible, This also prevents a trial
Number Ones releases in 2005 featuring all of Michael's #1 hits
Another Greatest Hits Album release that has MJ's #1 hits and the Jackson 5's #1 hits
Thriller 25 still releases in 2008 like it originally did except with Michael doing a performance at the World Music Awards to promote it
There, that's what should have happened.

Michael should have believed more in Hollywood Tonight. That would have given him a comeback.

What proof on Another Day?

Or One More Chance or All in your Name
Another Day was said by Kenny Kravitz that he was “saving it for the next album”. One more chance and all in your name were worked on after invincible so it could be possible them to be revived for the project.

It's tough to predict what Michael wanted to next really. There's reports he was in love with Hold My Hand and wanted it to be lead single from his new album, I think they mentioned that in the promotion of Michael.

Neff U said he wanted to do less heavy productions on his next record. Mentioned in Michael doc

Will I Am said recently MJ was looking to go more in a hip hop direction, Dreamin' sampled I Can't Wake Up

Mike was upset about Xscape leaking (he clearly loved the track) but I doubt in 2009-10 it would have been on his radar. As much as I'd love for it to have been.

From my own perspective, I would have wanted to him to go back to Buxer/M Prince, Teddy, Neff U and Dr Freeze. Go for a more soulful approach that was lacking till Ne -Yo and then Bruno Mars came along and did it brilliantly well

I take issue with that part. It definitely was not Bruno who brought soul back.
Not necessarily back mate but in part certainly brought it back to the forefront, when you compare Mars's work with Justin Timberlake, Chris Brown, Justin Beiber or any other diet version of Michael Jackson. I'd consider Mars's work as more soulful

Not necessarily back mate but in part certainly brought it back to the forefront, when you compare Mars's work with Justin Timberlake, Chris Brown, Justin Beiber or any other diet version of Michael Jackson. I'd consider Mars's work as more soulful
The production values I do admit hew the closest to Off The Wall and Quincy Jones. But even at that time of 2014, JT and CB both had one song that sounded very OTW. Timbaland very deftly homages the sound on LNFSG. Don't forget Ne-Yo too. Very R&B, a style Michael specifically wanted.

The production values I do admit hew the closest to Off The Wall and Quincy Jones. But even at that time of 2014, JT and CB both had one song that sounded very OTW. Timbaland very deftly homages the sound on LNFSG. Don't forget Ne-Yo too. Very R&B, a style Michael specifically wanted.
That's a good point mate, of all the MJ influenced artists are my favourites. Both are consistent and make great records

Michael Jackson's late '00s new studio album would have been high on melody, as confirmed by American producer Ne-Yo who was working closely (in 2008) with Michael Jackson on that album.

But keep in mind that Michael Jackson's late '00s new studio album would have had minimal contribution from Michael Jackson himself (in terms of lyrics and production).

Ne-Yo was sending (via emails) to Michael Jackson pretty much completed songs (as MP3s).

Michael Jackson then would keep the songs that he liked and he wanted to record for his album, while binning the ones that he did not like.

Michael Jackson's late '00s new studio album would have been high on melody, as confirmed by American producer Ne-Yo who was working closely (in 2008) with Michael Jackson on that album.

But keep in mind that Michael Jackson's late '00s new studio album would have had minimal contribution from Michael Jackson himself (in terms of lyrics and production).

Ne-Yo was sending (via emails) to Michael Jackson pretty much completed songs (as MP3s).

Michael Jackson then would keep the songs that he liked and he wanted to record for his album, while binning the ones that he did not like.
But most of them were co-written by him

I wondering why he didn’t wanna write anymore.

But most of them were co-written by him
I wondering why he didn’t wanna write anymore.
Michael Jackson would make very few songwriting contributions to these songs.

Ne-Yo confirmed that there are 6 completed songs (from these sessions), but they all have Ne-Yo's vocals on them.

Ne-Yo also stated that he still has these 6 songs.

Michael going back in time? I don’t buy that, he always wanted to explore new sounds. Perhaps producers tried to push him but he didn’t really had his heart in it and that is one of the reasons we didn’t get anything after 2001.

Ne-Yo confirmed that there are 6 completed songs (from these sessions), but they all have Ne-Yo's vocals on them.

Ne-Yo also stated that he still has these 6 songs.
There should be a way to get in contact with Ne-Yo and tell him there's still an interest over those songs. A user on Reddit suggested him to give the profits to charity and he said that wasn't a bad idea, but that was years ago and nothing came out of it. Someone should remind him of that since nowadays he still says he doesn't know what to do with those songs.

In 2013, TMZ revealed Jackson's notes left in his house, two of which feature 35 song titles in total, spanning from 2002 sessions up until 2009.[17] It is important to note, however, that this most definitely isn't the track list, but rather songs Michael simply planned on finishing.
from this list I'd pick the following for the 11th album:
Beautiful Girl
Hold My Hand
Hollywood Tonight
Ghost of Another Lover
Throwing Your Life Away

Last edited:
Back