What if one of his other albums was the biggest selling album of all time

analogue

Proud Member
Let's say that Thriller was not MJ's best selling but instead it was HIStory. Would the media be calling HIStory the best thing Michael ever did? Or do you think that the media would still call Thriller MJ's best work ever despite record sales?

Thriller imo is a better album than HIStory, but if things would have went as you said then the media would have propped up HIStory as the greatest thing since sliced bread. It's what they do with Thriller all the time.

If HIStory was the biggest selling album of all time instead of Thriller then yes, I believe HIStory would be getting all of the attention and recognition that Thriller receives.

The media/general public don't care about what Michael's best work was. A lot of people assume that if Thriller is the best selling album of all time, it is Michael's best work. If HIStory was #1, I think everyone would be giving it as much praise as Thriller gets.

^^ I agree. Sometimes when I read music critics it's actually scary how little they know about Michael's work. You would expect a critic be able to go further than Billie Jean and Beat it. That's why it was high time for Joe Vogel's book.

Back