What if Michael had done a Motown only concert. What would be your ideal setlist?

filmandmusic

Proud Member
I know the 4 nr 1 hits have been done to death but you can’t ignore them either so I will incorporate them into my setlist either way.

1) The Love You Save
2) Mama’s Pearl
3) Farewell My Summer Love
4) Never Can Say Goodbye
5) Ben
6) With A Child’s Heart
7) Darling Dear
8) Take Me Back
9) We’re Almost There
10) Who’s Loving You
11) What You Don’t Know
12) Get It Together
13) Whatever You Got I Want
14) Maria (You Were The Only One)
15) Music And Me
16) One Day In Your Life
17) Dancing Machine
18) I Want You Back
19) ABC
20) I’ll Be There

This is pretty much impossible to do imo. There are so many great songs to choose from. I opted for the logical hits and some more deeper songs but still I had to leave out several really big hits like Got To Be There, Rockin‘ Robin, Sugar Daddy and Looking Through The Windows.

omg, this is difficult! :eek:

For now, I'm just listing my main contenders, I'm sure there'll be more. Plus, I'm not trying to create a workable set list, I'm just chucking down some of my top faves!

If I Have To Move A Mountain - the 4m 48s version, obvs!
TLYS
Music & Me
ODIYL
We're Almost There
True Love Can Be Beautiful
Skywriter
Maybe Tomorrow
EDIT - Big Boy (not a Motown song!)
Label Me Love

ooh, that's only ten songs! I want the concert to be quite short but I'll need a few more ... :unsure:

EDIT - Think I'll have to bail out. I want to add Sugar Daddy but feel I must check the lyrics first.

@83magic could probably do this in five seconds. Me, not so much! :ROFLMAO:

Adding 'Feelin' Alright' / 'Forever Came Today' / ...

Last edited:
@zinniabooklover i can make the lists (eventually) but they’re usually a long, and stressful process that I still enjoy somehow 😂
this one.. I might have to sit out. in my opinion, most of the child songs wouldn’t be able to translate to the adult voice. michael even struggled with ‘got to be there’ in 1973 when performing in japan. I would have to choose songs from those last two years (and that’s being generous). problem is, that there weren’t that many hits. though I think I could get away with songs from ‘farewell my summer love’ as it was originally recorded over a decade before it was released🤔

personally, I would have loved to have seen a performance of ‘euphoria🤩even if it was mimed, which I might even prefer.

I might come back later.

@zinniabooklover i can make the lists (eventually) but they’re usually a long, and stressful process that I still enjoy somehow 😂
this one.. I might have to sit out. in my opinion, most of the child songs wouldn’t be able to translate to the adult voice.
I came up against that problem pretty quickly. In fact, it stopped me dead in my tracks, lol.

michael even struggled with got to be there’ in 1973 when performing in japan.
That was one I was definitely going to avoid even though I love it. This is a fantasy, obviously, but I was trying to make it vaguely realistic in terms of Michael's adult voice. Also, some lyrics don't quite work for me, being sung by an adult, so that's another 'problem'.

I would have to choose songs from those last two years (and that’s being generous). problem is, that there weren’t that many hits.
Bc it's my fantasy - and bc it's never going to happen irl - I don't care about the hits, I just want songs I love. If Michael Jackson performs, the audience will be there! Based on the songs I've chosen so far, I don't know how anyone would go about promoting the show but I don't have to worry about that. Irl I don't think Michael would be interested in my version of this 'Motown' show but f&m's basic idea is cool, imo.

I also distracted myself by trying to work out what type of show I want. I'd prefer a small, intimate venue and the show is no longer than 90 minutes. But I'm also considering (you'd think this was really going to happen, lol) something like the shows in Germany that Adele just did with that huge screen all along the back of the stage so everyone - even peeps right at the back - can get a decent view.

though I think I could get away with songs from ‘farewell my summer love’ as it was originally recorded over a decade before it was released
That could work. A show built around just one album is a thing so that's def an option.

personally, I would have loved to have seen a performance of ‘euphoria🤩even if it was mimed, which I might even prefer.
Mm, this is where we part ways! Michael is definitely singing live in my show. But it's short - 90 minutes or less - and I don't want any songs that will put too much strain on his voice so he'll be fine.

I might come back later.
I'd love to see your list. I don't think I can finish mine. This is too complicated, lol.

f&m has lethal ideas! :ROFLMAO:

omg, this is difficult! :eek:

For now, I'm just listing my main contenders, I'm sure there'll be more. Plus, I'm not trying to create a workable set list, I'm just chucking down some of my top faves!

If I Have To Move A Mountain - the 4m 48s version, obvs!
TLYS
Music & Me
ODIYL
We're Almost There
True Love Can Be Beautiful
Skywriter
Maybe Tomorrow
Big Boy
Label Me Love

ooh, that's only ten songs! I want the concert to be quite short but I'll need a few more ... :unsure:

EDIT - Think I'll have to bail out. I want to add Sugar Daddy but feel I must check the lyrics first.

@83magic could probably do this in five seconds. Me, not so much! :ROFLMAO:

Adding 'Feelin' Alright' / 'Forever Came Today' / ...
Big Boy isn't Motown

he would be like
"these songs were great, but i also like.. (gets hat) the new songs (billie jean starts)"

xD

I Want You Back
The Love You Save
ABC
I’ll Be There
Maria (You Were the Only One)
Greatest Show on Earth
Never Can Say Goodbye
Get It Together
Dancing Machine
Just a Little Bit of You
One Day In Your Life
Take Me Back
Moving Violation
Window Shopping
Somebody’s Watching Me

Would have loved a stripped back concert where he performed a lot of his old Motown hits especially the ballads , one day in your life, music and me and Ben etc

Would have loved a stripped back concert where he performed a lot of his old Motown hits especially the ballads , one day in your life, music and me and Ben etc
I think this is part of why my list is so crap. Bc what I really want is a low-key, stripped back show that puts Michael's voice front and centre. Lots of ballads, some mid-tempo songs, possibly a few up-tempo songs but with different arrangements (like the start of TWYMMF live, really jazzy and cool). No longer than 90 minutes including encores.

The other reason I can't make this Motown thing work - apart from wanting to include Big Boy, lol - is I want to ignore the hits and just go for lesser known songs. Maybe mine should be a radio show, not a concert. :unsure: 🤷🏽‍♀️

I think this is part of why my list is so crap. Bc what I really want is a low-key, stripped back show that puts Michael's voice front and centre. Lots of ballads, some mid-tempo songs, possibly a few up-tempo songs but with different arrangements (like the start of TWYMMF live, really jazzy and cool). No longer than 90 minutes including encores.

The other reason I can't make this Motown thing work - apart from wanting to include Big Boy, lol - is I want to ignore the hits and just go for lesser known songs. Maybe mine should be a radio show, not a concert. :unsure: 🤷🏽‍♀️
I completely agree , it would have been great to see him perform that way, put his voice at the front and centre. Sitting on stool and really showing off his range.

Add in a few Jacksons tracks, dreamer, even though you're gone , you push me away , couple of solo songs like Liberian Girl and smile.

No lip sync, just flawless live singing. It would have been brilliant

michael even struggled with ‘got to be there’ in 1973 when performing in japan.
Michael last sung Got To Be There live in 1978 on the Goin Places tour so he did do it as an adult with the voice we all came to love. Unfortunately that is all we got, a setlist without audio or video footage. I assume he sang it differently obviously.

Also we don’t know if some of these songs were part of the Destiny tour at one point. Some Destiny tour concerts had songs like Get It Together, Never Can Say Goodbye and I Wanna Be Where You Are in the setlist in 1979. It’s not impossible to think more surprises were in this tour.

This is also adult Michael imo in 1977 singing One Day In Your Life in sole tv show in Venezuela. He sounds incredible btw, better than in 1975 Mexico.

Also we don’t know if some of these songs were part of the Destiny tour at one point. Some Destiny tour concerts had songs like Get It Together, Never Can Say Goodbye and I Wanna Be Where You Are in the setlist in 1979. It’s not impossible to think more surprises were in this tour.

This is also adult Michael imo in 1977 singing One Day In Your Life in sole tv show in Venezuela. He sounds incredible btw, better than in 1975 Mexico.
Excellent, never heard that before 👏 I agree better than 75. Also great version of Happy.

It's amazing how much his voice changed in the space of 10 years, from that smooth soulful voice to the gritty distinctive Bad era sound and beyond, so much wear and tear on his vocal chords singing in that (iconic) style.

(y)

This is also adult Michael imo in 1977
Yes, he's a young man now, he's not a boy any more. 🥲 ❤️

singing One Day In Your Life in sole tv show in Venezuela. He sounds incredible btw, better than in 1975 Mexico.
It's fabulous. Ngl, I nearly always watch the Mexico footage bc I love how he introduces the song ('I like ballads ...'). But this is whole other level. His voice has matured beautifully, his phrasing is magical and masterful. Just lovely!

I need to pay more attention to this version.

Excellent, never heard that before 👏 I agree better than 75. Also great version of Happy.

It's amazing how much his voice changed in the space of 10 years, from that smooth soulful voice to the gritty distinctive Bad era sound and beyond, so much wear and tear on his vocal chords singing in that (iconic) style.
This is pretty much the sort of stuff some of us wanted so badly. This is a very intimate setting with a full live band, live background and live Michael without the glitter, glamour and spectacle. It is the ultimate proof Michael was a great live singer as well and not just a big stadium sell out mime act. He is reaching the notes required here quite easily.

@zinniabooklover all of my fantasy performances would be mimed ‘top of the pops’ style 😂 blame it on my autism or ocd, but I don’t like my favourite songs being interfered with. though there are some remixes that I like..🤷‍♀️

@filmandmusic that intro to the performance you posted was fun. I know that michael was miserable during his late teens, but you would never know it when he was onstage. he was more personable with the audience. the performance aspect is what I enjoy the most between ‘74-‘77, particularly the dancing. not so much the music..🫣

one day in your life’ is interesting because although michael was a child when the song was recorded and (originally) released, his voice had already transitioned into adulthood. in some cases it was actually deeper than it was in his early 20s🤔 yet i don’t consider anything that came before ‘destiny’ to be adult. I don’t count that performance as ‘adult michael’. I didn’t make it through that entire video. that song has always been very sad to me, and even more so now😔 the brothers were not needed for that performance. for that reason alone I prefer the mexico version from ‘75. I also thought the vocals were better then, as they stayed closer to the studio version.

I don’t share the sentiments expressed here (as usual 😂). dancing was a crucial element of michael’s artistic expression. it was something that he spoke more passionately about than anything else. it’s what made him stand out. I think it’s almost cruel degradation to restrict him to a stool singing ballads. he wouldn’t have gone on to become the legend that he came to be had he done that. I honestly wouldn’t have been a fan either..

@83magic what can I say… I like ballads 😄 I love his dancing but it is when I listen to his ballads, especially the early ones that I hear a magnificent interpreter of songs.

I also don’t quite get how he got to sound so different on ODIYL in 1975, it would be interesting to know more about the forever Michael recording session.

”cruel degradation for Michael to sit on a stool while performing” you say. There is actually proof that that statement is spot on isn’t it 😂

I don’t share the sentiments expressed here (as usual 😂). dancing was a crucial element of michael’s artistic expression.
Totally agree. :D

it was something that he spoke more passionately about than anything else. it’s what made him stand out.
Again, totally agree. I love Michael first and foremost as a dancer.

I think it’s almost cruel degradation to restrict him to a stool singing ballads. he wouldn’t have gone on to become the legend that he came to be had he done that. I honestly wouldn’t have been a fan either..
OK, this bit here, I just want to clarify something. Not having a go at you, 83, and I'm not speaking on behalf of anyone else, only for myself.

If Michael was still alive I wouldn't even be on this board and, even if I was, I would not be expressing opinions on how I think he should run his career. He's the artistic genius, the global superstar, not me, lol. When I go on about wanting Michael to do some sort of 'unplugged' show it's pure fantasy, nothing else. Irl, I have no idea if Michael might have started to entertain the idea of doing something like that. We just don't know. He would have seen his peers doing this sort of thing and he might well have been interested. Or maybe not. But he's not here so I feel OK indulging in a little bit of fantasy.

Secondly, as much as I love Michael as a dancer, I do think his voice can be more beautifully highlighted if the dancing is put aside for one or two small, low-key shows.

Third, even as a fantasy I don't think about this as something that should have happened earlier in Michael's career. My fantasy is all about mature Michael doing things slightly differently, as an older artist. Taking a different approach for a short while. It could even be, as people have suggested, a one-off show that gets televised. My fantasy doesn't involve me going to the show, just watching it somewhere, somehow! An 'unplugged' show is not a replacement for anything he did earlier, it's an extra 'later life' thing that many people would love and appreciate.

Dancers get arthiritis and have a shorter career than almost any other performing artist. Singers can go and on.

I understand the point you're making, though.

I would have gone to that one! 😄 The setlist would be too hard for me for this one! So I gotta pass this one too. But that is a creative idea!!

Back